PDA

View Full Version : New on the AT -- Looking for 5 or 6 day hike

ltw08
01-30-2012, 01:15
Hello all.

I'm a new resident to Middle Tennessee and am planning a trip to the AT in mid-March. I have an extensive amount of fourteener experience in the Rockies, but from the research I have done, the AT is a beast of a different nature. I'm looking for a new challenge in what is one of the most iconic and Americana places I can imagine. I figured my best bet would be to go to the people who know the AT the best -- you all. I'm looking for a 5 to 6 day hike in the Tennessee area.

I will just list my questions:
- What is a good 5 to 6 day section hike?
- How is the weather on the AT mid-March?
- How heavy would trail traffic be in TN/ NC around this time?
- Would you advise tent, fly, or using the shelters?
- Any other advice you wish to provide.

Thanks in advance for any help!

fredmugs
01-30-2012, 08:51
I did a 170 mile or so hike in mid-March 2009 from Dennis Cove Rd to Standing Bear farm near I-40. Weather was mostly in the 50s with lows dropping to around 30 each night. The trail was fairly crowded with spring break hikers and some thru hikers. I avoid shelters and never plan to use them.

I would recommend any stretch that includes Max Patch and the Beauty Spot. Standing Bear Farm to Erwin (100 miles I think) would be a good stretch since you can safely park on both ends.

moldy
01-30-2012, 10:36
Take I-40 to I-81 then go South on I-26 and park your truck at Uncle Johnny's in Erwin and then arrange a shuttle back to Hot Springs. It might be cheaper to arrange the shuttle thru the outfitter in Hot Springs. This section has it all, bald peaks, tight hogback ridges, views, rock scrambles and easy ridges. It has plenty of water, camping places and fire wood. Mid March would not be my first pick but with a mild Spring, who knows? You will have it pretty much to yourself then. Take a good look at the 10 day weather forecast before you go and pack accordingly. Welcome to middle Tennessee, it's sort of like middle earth.

wornoutboots
01-30-2012, 11:15
The Smokies, since your only going out for 6 days max, check the weather before you go & prepare accordingly. You'll have to reserve the shelters 30days in advance & the shelters will have people in them so you'll have company, if the weather is warm, they'll be close to full. If this is more traffic then you want to see, Hot Springs to Erwin is a great section

ltw08
01-30-2012, 15:34
Thanks for the help and advice. I talked to someone at the Hot Springs outfitter today. I'm not anti-traffic, but it looks like the Hot Springs - Erwin is going to be my best bet.

Are there any campsties through that route that necessitate BearVaults? I always hang (unless I'm at the tree line, in which case the Vault is needed) -- bear wrestling is not a hobby of mine. I would prefer to leave the BV at home if I can.

brian039
01-30-2012, 16:39
Thanks for the help and advice. I talked to someone at the Hot Springs outfitter today. I'm not anti-traffic, but it looks like the Hot Springs - Erwin is going to be my best bet.

Are there any campsties through that route that necessitate BearVaults? I always hang (unless I'm at the tree line, in which case the Vault is needed) -- bear wrestling is not a hobby of mine. I would prefer to leave the BV at home if I can.

That's a great section! You won't need a bearvault as you will find trees to be able to hang your food on. One good option is to camp near the shelters and use the bear cables provided there and it's also nice to have a picnic table to spread your stuff out on and have a place to sit, cook, and eat.

58starter
01-30-2012, 20:12
I completed to Sam's Gap to Erwin section first week of Nov of 2011. It was a great hike and had a lot of fun.
You might want to look at the Sheltowee Trace that starts in Northern Tn and goes to above Morehead, Ky.
There is group hiking it on weekend this year.

Kerosene
01-31-2012, 10:23
You can hike the entire AT without having to rely on a bear vault. You just have to hone your rope throwing skills...and make sure that you remember how to get back to the tree you hung your food bag from!

ltw08
01-31-2012, 16:05
Good to know -- thanks. Every pound I can shuck adds up. Also, this forum and community has been invaluable to me thus far. I look forward to being a part of it as I begin my life on the AT.

BlakeGrice
01-31-2012, 22:42
Why not drive a bit down to Ga and start at the beginning? Walk as far as you can north. Shuttle back. Next time, pick back up.