PDA

View Full Version : Insulation: Vests

ljcsov
01-30-2012, 11:06
I noticed that some people use vests, while others go with a full sleeved shirt/jacket in the realm of fleece or down insulation.

It seems like you might as well go with the full jacket instead of the vests.

What do you consider the role of vests to be? When do you use them?

I am thinking about getting a light down vest such as the microtherm by eddiebauer. I think it'll be nice when its cold for use while hiking and an additional layering piece.

HiKen2011
01-30-2012, 11:16
I noticed that some people use vests, while others go with a full sleeved shirt/jacket in the realm of fleece or down insulation.

It seems like you might as well go with the full jacket instead of the vests.

What do you consider the role of vests to be? When do you use them?

I am thinking about getting a light down vest such as the microtherm by eddiebauer. I think it'll be nice when its cold for use while hiking and an additional layering piece.

Down vest is to hot while hiking, go with the patagonia down sweater fo camp, around 12 oz. I think.

RWheeler
01-30-2012, 11:39
The Patagonia Nano Puff has been showing up on S&C a lot lately for about $100, in S-XXL if you don't care about color. But they had plenty of M and L, colors have been the green, yellow, and orange.

ljcsov
01-30-2012, 11:40
Down vest is to hot while hiking, go with the patagonia down sweater fo camp, around 12 oz. I think.

Right now I hike in an EMS powerstretch hoody, which is pretty nice! In camp I throw on my SD Gnar hoody. I also have an EMS fleece vest with 300 polartec. Trying to figure out the role of all these pieces!

RWheeler
01-30-2012, 11:43
The vest doesn't really fill a void that isn't satisfied by either of the other two pieces.

Definitely take the Gnar for camp. The EMS hoodie may even be a but unnecessary, but you can start with it if you really like it, see how you use it.

Trail Ponderer
01-30-2012, 12:10
I agree with the previous posts. The down vest would be too hot for hiking and I would take the SD Gnar for camp. I usually find hiking with a polyester base layer with rainjacket/windbreaker with possible pit zips/venting options good for most hiking depending on temperature/wind. You may want a lightweight fleece for insulation while hiking. Down gets too hot for hiking not too mention the possible concern of the down getting wet which you would then lose the insulating benefit. Get out there and hike to experiment and find out what works for you.

q-tip
01-30-2012, 12:13
I use a 6 oz Marmot vest, I love it. I use the Marmot Mica 8 oz for jacket--to each their own.

RWheeler
01-30-2012, 12:23
I agree with the previous posts. The down vest would be too hot for hiking and I would take the SD Gnar for camp. I usually find hiking with a polyester base layer with rainjacket/windbreaker with possible pit zips/venting options good for most hiking depending on temperature/wind. You may want a lightweight fleece for insulation while hiking. Down gets too hot for hiking not too mention the possible concern of the down getting wet which you would then lose the insulating benefit. Get out there and hike to experiment and find out what works for you.

That's what I do. I have long sleeve base layers that I'll wear on cooler days, and if I need it, I'll add my rain shell (SD Hurricane) when I start hiking. Usually I'll find myself nice and warm after moving for about 2 minutes, so I'll stop, put the jacket in my pack, take a quick sip of water, and continue on.

Rocketman
01-30-2012, 20:12
If you have naturally warm arms, or dold tolerant arms, the vest can be a good lightweight insulation layer. Certainly, if your arms are easily cold, avoid the vest.

so the definite answer is that it depends on .....

quilteresq
01-30-2012, 21:59
Down vests are great for late March skiing. Otherwise, they're too cold for winter and too hot for any other time.

Alligator
01-30-2012, 22:56
I use a synthetic vest for a light but warm layer for nights in camp during the late spring, summer, and early fall.

It would have to be really cold before I'd even consider using it while hiking, probably <20F. I probably would even bring it for that type of trip. I do keep it handy though to put on when stopped, say in the fall or spring.

Miner
01-31-2012, 00:47
I carry a western mountainiering flash vest during the warmer summer months to wear in camp at night when the temps drop (I guess this is more of a western thing since we don't have the humidity to hold the heat and have taller mountains then back east). I also use it as a pillow, stuffed in my clothing stuff sack on top of the other clothes. I don't really use it to hike except during the first 10 minutes or so until I warm up in the early dawn starts I normally do. As it keeps your core warm, it works surprisingly well in camp combined with a rain jacket to help warm the arms at night. The pillow use alone is enough reason for why I'm brining the vest for the warmer months on my AT hike. I don't expect to need it much.

During early spring and fall, I normally switch the vest for my Montbell Ext. UL jacket which is still too warm to hike in except for the one time I was on a ridge with 30-50mph gusts with the wind chill below 0. But most nights is nice around camp under my windshirt when the temps are in the 20s & 30s and once again used as a pillow.

garlic08
01-31-2012, 00:55
I see a vest as an emergency core warmth option that's lighter and less bulky than a jacket. Mine goes in my pack on winter trips and stays there in normal conditions. I use it as a "thermos" to keep my water from freezing in the pack.

STICK
01-31-2012, 21:37
My future plans involve a vest in certain conditions, however, these are my intentions and are not tried and true.

I am happy with my "winter" set-up and feel comfy with this set-up to temps between 10 & 15 F (I live in the SouthEast). However, I would like to get a set-up going in which I am comfy down to about -5, and possibly around -10 (although I am not anticipating being as "comfy" at -10).

For this set-up I am planning to change out my sleeping pad from the Original NeoAir w/ ccf pad to a NeoAir All Season w/ 2 ccf pads (a 1/8" & a 1/4") and my Marmot Helium sleeping bag to the WM Kodiak MF 0*F bag (w/ a little overfill).

For my top layering system I will have my hard shell, wind shell, Montbell UL Down Inner Parka, Paty R1 and a Paty Cap 2 long sleeve crew. To this I will add a down vest to help warm up my core. My arms are usually fine even at temps in the mid to low teens.

I am not sure which down vest I will go with though. I am looking at the Black Rock Gear Down Vest (http://www.blackrockgear.com/vest.html) but they can be hard to come by since they don't go in stock much from what I can tell. Otherwise I am sure it will be either a MB or a WM vest...

eatapeach
01-31-2012, 21:54
The Patagonia Nano Puff has been showing up on S&C a lot lately for about $100, in S-XXL if you don't care about color. But they had plenty of M and L, colors have been the green, yellow, and orange. What's S&C? I check almost everything against Amazon. They have pretty good deals.

dshideler
01-31-2012, 22:03
S&C is steep and cheap. Real good deals sometimes. I ordered a Patagonia down sweater from them which should be here tomorrow. I just received my Patagonia nano puff pullover today that I ordered from their (patagonia's) 30% off sale. Not sure which one I'm going to keep yet.

Enic
01-31-2012, 22:10
What's S&C? I check almost everything against Amazon. They have pretty good deals.

S&C = steepandcheap. It is a discount subsidiary site of Backcountry, basicly, one item at a time at a decent discount. Sometime great, sometimes not so much.

rusty bumper
02-01-2012, 11:51
I started my hike on April 1st and carried a Marmot down vest (10 oz) from Springer to southern Virginia and then north from Manchester Center, VT. I never wore it while I was hiking, but I did wear it on some of the cool nights and mornings while in camp and I was glad I had it. It kept me plenty warm and I didn't miss having a layer of down on my arms. Also, I sleep on my side and I used it every night that I had it, no matter what the temperature, as a pad between my bony knees.

ljcsov
02-01-2012, 17:44
Thanks for the feedback all.

I have a fleece vest but maybe I'll see if I can get a good deal on a synthetic or down one for packability. Will be nice for warmer weather when it gets cool...

Tinker
02-01-2012, 17:57
Any kind of vest needs to fit well around the arm holes. A loose fit allows warm air to be pumped out with normal activities. I haven't found a good vest in years, so I've gone to using jackets.

TOMP
02-01-2012, 18:03
I picked up a patagonia down sweater vest on geartrade.com for 70 dollars including shipping and tax. It was a great purchase. I use it for winter running as well as cold weather hiking (I plan to use it on this years thru starting March 12th). A full down jacket is just to hot for me in any weather (even skiiing). I pair this vest with my waterproof shell when necessary and I have never been cold. If it gets too warm I just take it off for a bit and since it only weighs 8 oz, its superior to any fleece IMO. Keep it dry and you will be happy.

ljcsov
02-06-2012, 23:01
Is this a good vest option?

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11013554

I can't beat the price after searching around.

TOMP
02-06-2012, 23:15

I can't beat the price after searching around.

Maybe you cant beat the price but its just too heavy. For 60 dollars your already paying most of what you should for a good vest so just go the extra couple bucks and get one.

http://www.geartrade.com/item/234857

83 dollars and there is a red one in Medium for 87. Cant beat patagonia. People return it to backcountry so backcountry sells it here for cheap. No tax or shipping to pay either.

leaftye
02-06-2012, 23:19
I picked up a Cabela's down vest. Not their 'Superlight' model. My XL weighs 13 ounces. It's quite warm. I let a trail crew member borrow it on a rainy day. He didn't understand how it worked, and wore it outside his shell for a while until I told him it'd become worthless unless it was under his shell. It doesn't seem to have a DWR treatment, but it kept quite a bit of loft...some people think down loses all loft with the tiniest amount of water. I wore it under a poncho for a couple hours while doing trail work. I've also worn it backwards for a few hours of hiking. All in all, I think it worked quite well. I do wish it was lighter and compressed much more tightly though.

rocketsocks
02-06-2012, 23:44

I can't beat the price after searching around.I have the full size mercury jacket ,and like it very much.I've noticed the the sizes run big on these items,so normally I'd take a med.but went with the small,and still do not feel restricted with a fleece underneath.This vest(jacket) is quite warm,and I am completely satisfied with it.It is thin and therefore light weight,so I find is perfect for layering.I hope this helps.

ljcsov
02-06-2012, 23:46
I have the full size mercury jacket ,and like it very much.I've noticed the the sizes run big on these items,so normally I'd take a med.but went with the small,and still do not feel restricted with a fleece underneath.This vest(jacket) is quite warm,and I am completely satisfied with it.It is thin and therefore light weight,so I find is perfect for layering.I hope this helps.

Helped a ton rocketsocks! I appreciate the feedback. This will be a perfect piece. I'm lacking in the puffy vest department and I like EMS gear!

ljcsov
02-08-2012, 21:02
Ended up getting a Marmot Guide Down Vest as a birthday present! I'm digging it !

rocketsocks
02-08-2012, 22:27
Good deal! and happy birthday.

ljcsov
02-09-2012, 18:54
Thanks!!!!!!

Live_for_hiking
02-19-2012, 21:07
I sweat a TON....

I prefer vests to jackets while hiking because of the amount of heat I generate. A light, wind resistant vest works great. I'll use my rain jacket if I'm not moving a ton.