PDA

View Full Version : Ultra cheap/light "stakes"

Twolf
03-17-2005, 01:06
Since my silshelter needs 10 stakes to be at it's best, I have been looking for a lighter stake but cheaper than Ti. I discovered in the garden section of Orchard hardware (also at Home Despot) something called fabric stakes. They are used for landscape fabric. They cost $3.50 for 10 and all ten weigh 1oz! They are plastic, 4 1/2" long, have a 1" flat top and the body is cross shaped (+). They are short but the cross shape and teeth hold the ground pretty well. They are no good in sand or loose soil but work well in compacted or damp earth and rocky soil. Also the flat top allows you to place stones on top when they are flush to the ground. I still use regular stakes for the main lines of stress but use these for all the tie outs which saves several ounces. The brand is Easy Gardner and I have also seen them online. Check them out; if you don't like them you can give them to your kids to pound on.

tlbj6142
03-17-2005, 10:58
Also the flat top allows you to place stones on top when they are flush to the ground.I find I almost always need to place a rock or log on top of my stakes to keep them in the ground. Except when I use MSR Groundhog stakes (I carry two for the ridgeline tie-outs).

I like your idea. I need a few more stakes, might be worth a look.

Streamweaver
03-17-2005, 14:11
Aluminum gutter nails cost about 50 cents apeice at lowes,home depot etc and weigh .5 ounce apeice. streamweaver

Twolf
03-17-2005, 15:36
These fabric stakes cost $.35 and weigh .1 ounce.

Peaks
03-17-2005, 17:06
Aluminum gutter nails cost about 50 cents apeice at lowes,home depot etc and weigh .5 ounce apeice. streamweaver

The aluminum gutter nails are good where you need to pound the stakes into rocky ground, like in the Rockies.

Here, Home Depot only sells aluminum gutter nails with ferrels. But, we can buy gutter nails only cheaper at our local lumber yard.

Streamweaver
03-21-2005, 12:51
The gutter nails weigh more but are alot stronger.i used to work ladscaping in fla and those fabric nails bent often when we used em to hold sod in place.but if it works... Streamweaver