PDA

View Full Version : Question on one month hike and transportation from Damascus, VA

P1nkPanther
01-30-2012, 17:44
My husband and I planned to thru-hike this year. He was offered a promotion he really wanted at work, so now that hike is more than 2 years out.

I, however, have the time now and want to do some hiking. I have a female friend interested in coming along. (Part of a duo we've hiked/camped with before.)

Our plan is to start at Springer sometime between mid-April/early May. We want to hike about a month so we've tentatively settled on Damascus as our stopping point.

So, how do you get from Damascus back to Tampa, FL? My thoughts are shuttle to Marion, greyhound to Knoxville, plane to Tampa. But I'm really out of my element trying to plan this last crucial step. Is there some obvious solution I haven't thought of? Is there another trail town where we should call it quits that would make it easier?

Thanks in advance!

FYI - We want to start in Springer to save on transportation to start with because the husbands can drive us up. So suggestions that have us starting elsewhere might create more problems than they solve.

BabySue
01-30-2012, 17:51
Allegiant flies direct between Tampa/St. Pete and Tri Cities (between Kingsport, Bristol, Johnson City, airport code TRI). Allegiant has low rates and then charges fees for everything. But even with the fee for checking your gear, you'll be much cheaper than most airline tickets. Damascus is less than an hour from TRI.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2012, 17:51
hike to damascus and get a shuttle to tri-cities airport 45 miles away. Allegiant Air flys non-stop to Tampa on thursdays and Sundays
http://www.triflight.com/?id=5

BabySue
01-30-2012, 17:59
I see Lone Wolf and I were typing the same thing at the same time. Great minds type alike. Another comment: If you buy your Allegiant ticket from TRI for a certain day, you've still got flexibility is you don't get to Damascus in the time you predicted. Erwin (Nolichucky River bridge) and Hampton (Dennis Cove, Watauge Lake) are closer to TRI than Damascus is. Sam's Gap is comparable distance to TRI as Damascus to TRI. That is to say, you can shuttle from any of these places if you plan ahead and have the phone numbers of a few different shuttle services. A search of WhiteBlaze should give you some ideas for shuttlers in Erwin, Johnson City, and Damascus. People you meet on the trail may also give you ideas about shuttle services if it starts to look like you're not going to end where you planned.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2012, 18:00
i do shuttles cheaper than anyone in damascus :sun

Lone Wolf
01-30-2012, 18:12
here's some fares
http://www.allegiantair.com/aaRes/aaBookingFlow_1.php

P1nkPanther
01-30-2012, 18:36
Great information! Thank you so much! LW, I will PM you for shuttle info. :)

Slo-go'en
01-30-2012, 18:47
Why not keep going and stop at Marion? It only a few extra days and you get to see the Grayson Highlands. That's what I did last year. Then took the bus home. Though going south from Marion might be a little tricker with connections then heading north. They will probably send you to Knoxville first.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2012, 19:03
no need for a bus. she can get a one way flight out of tri-cities for about $61.00

Chrisj
01-31-2012, 03:18
hike to damascus and get a shuttle to tri-cities airport 45 miles away. Allegiant Air flys non-stop to Tampa on thursdays and Sundays
http://www.triflight.com/?id=5

I say go with this plan too. I fly Allegiant about once a month out of Sanford, fl to Tri-cities. It's great around a hour and ten min. flight. Also, it's cheap I flew round trip two weeks ago for 62 bucks can't beat it!

Del Q
01-31-2012, 21:31
Lone Wolf, tried to pm you, please pm me back so we can connect, was going to reach out to you in a few weeks - will need a shuttle towards the end of March back to my car in Bland.

Lone Wolf
01-31-2012, 21:34
Lone Wolf, tried to pm you, please pm me back so we can connect, was going to reach out to you in a few weeks - will need a shuttle towards the end of March back to my car in Bland.sorry. my box was full. try now

Papa D
01-31-2012, 21:56
Ok - you and a friend who have "some experience hiking and camping" want to make it from Springer to Damascus in ONE MONTH - that would be an average of 15 miles per day without any zeros so, you're pretty much talking a 20 mile per day pace. That's a very aggressive pace. (About the pace of a 4 - 4.5 month thru-hiker). I personally love this pace and there are plenty that hold it down but unless you are already runners and very, very experienced hikers, I'd cut this in HALF --how about trying to get from Springer to Hot Springs, NC in a month - this is about 275 miles - not shabby at all for a section hike - this will be about 10 miles a day but assuming you take a couple of days off, you'll need to hit the 12 mile per day average hike - I think you'll find this much more fun (unless your goal is speed and fitness). If you really want to hit Damascus, I suggest you start your hike at the NOC, Bryson City, NC - from there, it's 329 miles to Damascus - a semi aggressive month for a newbie but certainly more likely (if you are in good shape). FYI, most thru hikers take at least 6-8 weeks to get to Damascus which is why Trail Days is in early to mid-May - most NOBOS are starting in mid March to make it. You'll work out the transportation - I'd suggest that is the least of your planning concerns. Have a good one!

Teeycp
01-31-2012, 22:05
Hi Lone Wolf
We are going to be launching from route 603 trailhead about forty mile from Damascus and hiking back down to Damascus. Are you available May 2012?

Lone Wolf
01-31-2012, 22:07
Hi Lone Wolf
We are going to be launching from route 603 trailhead about forty mile from Damascus and hiking back down to Damascus. Are you available May 2012?yes just give me the exact date when may rolls around

P1nkPanther
02-05-2012, 22:11
Thanks for the information. We are both runners. :) Both my personal estimate and the whiteblaze NOBO plan hit Damascus around day 34/35. We have a little leeway and love the idea of making it to the 4th state, so that's our goal. But we are definitely of the mind that we'll just start walking and see what happens. I will keep Hot Springs in mind as a re-direct if it all goes to *****.