PDA

View Full Version : Best flipflop option?

strollingalong
01-30-2012, 19:11
I'm aiming for a April 3rd nobo this year but because of an injury this date might not be advisable and luckily for me I could start at a later date. Anyway, just want to keep my options open really.

My reserve plan would be May 23rd approx. start date I assume that really my main options would be Springer-HF then Katahdin-HF or HF-Katahdin then HF-Springer. Which would you choose? Or would you choose an entirely different strategy?

RWheeler
01-30-2012, 19:26
I would do Springer-HF then Katahdin-HF, personally. Nicer timing for each of the different sections from what I've heard.

johnnybgood
01-30-2012, 19:27
If you flip to Katahdin and hike south then you get to see early fall colors in the north country. Transportation options from HF are also more wide open.

Zipper
01-31-2012, 14:16
If you want to be with the main bubble of NOBO thrus, they'll probably be just south of the Shenandoahs around May 23. If you start in HF, they'll begin catching up quickly and you'll be in the group. On June 8, 2009, I was the 257th thru hiker to come through Harper's Ferry. Most of those who had come through before me had come within the week prior. HF to Springer will be much quieter, but very pretty in fall.

English Stu
01-31-2012, 17:02
COOL BREEZE This is I think is Coolbreeze's third thru, I did the last third as it suited my start date.It is good overall as I understand you get the best of all weathers and all seasons.It is on the Conservancy's web site.
Hike the Trail in three equidistant pieces, all southbound. Start with the middle third of Trail, followed by the northern third, ending with the southern third.
Sample itinerary: Start in southern Connecticut late April, hike south, reaching Troutville, Virginia (Roanoke area) late June. Hike from Katahdin south, reaching southern Connecticut end of August/ early September. Hike from Troutville south, ending at Springer early November.