PDA

View Full Version : Any advice: Maryland - 3 day in June

keepinitsimple
01-30-2012, 20:16
I am planning on 3 days, late June. Looks pretty easy. Any experience with the parking situation? Looks tight. How is it compared to the rocks in PA- I know them well.

johnnybgood
01-30-2012, 20:23
Park at PenMar County Park and hike south. The one rocky section I remember was on the first day out of PenMar, after that the trail isn't bad at all. You can do this section in 2 days.

Don H
01-30-2012, 21:10
Watch out for ticks, MD is bad for them.

Assuming your going south from PenMar make sure you pick up enough water at Gathland State Park to make it to Harpers Ferry since any water source in that stretch is a 1/2 mile down off the ridge.

brian039
01-30-2012, 21:21
Rocks are similar to PA but more patchy, it will probably take you 2 days. Pretty flat by AT standards. And have some change on hand for the vending machines at Gathland State Park (I can't remember if they take dollar bills or not)!!!

dink
01-30-2012, 21:25
planning on doing the same section in july...being dropped at PenMar and will hike south to Harpers Ferry to meet my roomie who will be camping in an RV at the KOA. Have a good one and yep the ticks are wicked!!

Cookerhiker
01-30-2012, 22:01
Personally, I'd allow 3 days. You may not need 3 full days but plan on 2 nights on the trail unless you really want to hike 20 miles each day.

I hiked all of MD last April and agree about the rocks out of Pen Mar.

Trail Bug
01-31-2012, 09:37
Enjoyable section, but I thought it was pretty rocky and not nearly as flat as others say it was. I talked my wife into going and showed her the pretty fields and farmland. After the hike we both felt like all the pictures were of that same one mile stretch. Do check out the shelters. They are 5 star motels compared to some in other states.

Rozz
01-31-2012, 10:20
If you find yourself in bad weather near Gathland, and an alternative to Crampton Gap Shelter, there is a neat campground right off the trail. http://www.thetreehousecamp.com. aka The Maple Tree Campground. Tent sites, treehouses, and cottages. (A nice base camp for families too.) Hot outdoor showers, bathrooms, camp store. Cottages have woodstoves and are open all winter. Nice little place.

The views are great this time of year. Black Rock, Annapolis Rocks, White Rocks, Weverton Cliffs. Enjoy!

Cookerhiker
01-31-2012, 10:28
...The views are great this time of year...Weverton Cliffs. Enjoy!

Yeah on Weverton Cliffs. Hiking SOBO once you're past Ed Garvey Shelter, the ridge keeps getting narrower and as you look ahead, you see the ridge ending. Shortly before the end, the AT takes a 90 degree right turn to descend the ridge. A blue-blazed trail continues straight for about 100 yards to Weverton Cliffs. Well worth it for gerat views of the Potomac and looking upstream, the gaps where the Potomac & Shenandoah meet by Harperxs Ferry.

Rain Man
01-31-2012, 10:40
I hope to do this hike in April or May this year, but will hike NOBO. Thanks to the OP and all who are posting helpful hints and suggestions!

Rain:sunMan

GoldenBear
01-31-2012, 10:42
Make a stop at Dahlgren Campsite, just south of US Highway 40A. Electrical outlets, flush toilets, hot water and SHOWERS -- all FREE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlQmzJDIf0E

keepinitsimple
01-31-2012, 11:01
You know I have been thinking about switching to lighter boots, I go with some heavy duty ones b/c of the rocks on the AT trails closest to me here in PA. DO you think MD could be done with some of the real light weight hi-top snaeker boots?

MDFastPack
01-31-2012, 12:32
Although a few parts are rocky, they are also short. I use trailrunners and have never had an issue. Make sure to check out Annapolis Rock! :banana

amclumberjack
01-31-2012, 14:52
i hike md in sandels year round if you look were your walking your fine in light weight boots

BabySue
01-31-2012, 22:15
Post #8 above mentions The Tree House Camp. Looks like a great place. About where does this fall in the 41 miles of AT in MD? That is to say, how far from WV and how far from PA? Thanks.

johnnybgood
01-31-2012, 23:00
Although a few parts are rocky, they are also short. I use trailrunners and have never had an issue. Make sure to check out Annapolis Rock! :banana Yep ! Great views .http://345d9d28/Annapolis Rocks

johnnybgood
01-31-2012, 23:45
Yep ! Great views .http://345d9d28/Annapolis Rocks
try this :15044

Rozz
01-31-2012, 23:48
BabySue, the treehouse camp is just about a stones throw from Gathland State Park. So its about 10 miles north of Harper's Ferry and 30 miles south of PenMar. A group of us will be staying there (kids and dog and all) for the weekend at some point (yes! Dogs allowed). I hope to do the 10 to HF before they all arrive. Cant wait!

AegisIII
02-01-2012, 22:07
Black Rock, a mile north of of Annapolis Rock, has a much better view. It's off a short unmarked blue-blazed trail, difficult to miss. Also don't miss White Rock, a few miles north of Gathland. It's right on the trail.

rookiehiker
02-03-2012, 18:57
I too plan on hiking this section some time this spring. It will be my first extended hiking/backpacking trip, and decided on this section based on the opinion it's a good one for rookies. I will be going SOBO. I've done the very northern section of the VA trail, and would like to "close" the section from HF, but may not have enough time to do so. I plan to do it in three days, just to avoid trying to do too much in two days, up to this point, the most I've hiked in one day is just under ten miles.

yushan
02-03-2012, 20:58
For those who are interested, the Tree House Campground has a website: http://www.thetreehousecamp.com/ (http://www.thetreehousecamp.com). It is located down Townsend Road 0.3 miles west of Gathland State Park.

phaedrus
02-04-2012, 17:37
Not to hijack, but would anyone doing a MD section (3-4 days) be willing to take along a noob. I haven't done a multi day hike yet. Equipment wise I am ready, just a little apprehensive. Worse is, I don't drive, but can arrange for a pickup or drop off for anyone from the Baltimore area.

Blissful
02-04-2012, 22:48
Enjoy the Civil War history along the way. Annapolis Rock is beautiful on a clear day.

johnnybgood
02-04-2012, 22:59
Enjoy the Civil War history along the way. Annapolis Rock is beautiful on a clear day. As is White Rocks,15094

gregb
02-05-2012, 01:56
I also plan on hiking MD in June or July but north bound with at least one of my kids. This will also be our first long hike and I'm allowing up to a week if needed...

johnnybgood
02-05-2012, 02:33
If you or your kid likes history then make sure to take the time and read the Civil War plaques at Gathland State Park. There is tons of reminders of this conflict seen as your walking this section, take the time to enjoy the history.
Relatively easy section with only rocks toward the end going NOBO from Harpers Ferry.

Enjoy Harpers Ferry and it's history as well . Have a nice hike.