PDA

View Full Version : Trail Bike?

trainhopper
01-31-2012, 02:25
Although this is been a mild winter, I have already gotten that itch for spring. As a result, I have been making a list of things to do when nicer weather does come. The other day I looked at my garage and decided that it needs a major clean. I came across a bike that has two flats but otherwise is in good condition. My question is do you think it is plausible that if I fixed up this bike and locked it near a less traveled trail head, people would use the bike properly and return it? I figure I would lock the bike to a tree and cover it with a tarp. I would then reveal to this forum where I have located the key. This would allow hikers to have quick access to town to do whatever they may need and then return to the trail to continue. I don't mind giving up the bike and realize that it will never come back to me. Has this ever been attempted, and if so what have the results been? Please be honest. If you think this is a dumb idea or would not be needed let me know. Thanks in advance.

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2012, 09:30
It's a dumb idea.

Jim Adams
01-31-2012, 09:34
I think it would be nice but have no idea whether it would work or not...alot of thru hikers on the trail are not on WB and wouldn't have the key access therefore tempting other thru hikers to post the key access somewhere like a hostel or P.O. causing the bike to be stolen. Just my thoughts.

geek

hikerboy57
01-31-2012, 09:37
cahances are someone will steal the tarp and the wheels, leaving the frame chained to whatever anchor. may as well just leave the key.

Alligator
01-31-2012, 11:04
I agree, it will probably get stolen. Perhaps donate it to a hostel if you wanted to see hikers get some use out of it.

max patch
01-31-2012, 11:21
I agree, it will probably get stolen. Perhaps donate it to a hostel if you wanted to see hikers get some use out of it.

Thats really the best answer.

I still remember my journal entry from the nite I spent at RPH cabin: "Somebody borrowed the bike and came back with beer."

Tinker
01-31-2012, 14:01
The one thing I think about when lending is liability.

When you rent a bike, at least someone is there to check it out each time it leaves, and they usually will suggest (if not insist) that you wear a helmet.

WingedMonkey
01-31-2012, 17:34
Like others have said it won't stay there long. I've used a bike to get to many a trail over the years, and even have special paniers and bags for that purpose (and a folding bike I sometimes take for quick train use). I feel I'm really pushing it to leave it locked in the woods more than five weekdays, weekends just up the chance it will be stripped or stolen. People get more nerve if they see it "abandoned" for more than a few days, and will go back to check.

The post reminds me of Bruno at the Hiker's Paradise in Gorham. To get around the taxes and liability of renting bikes to get around town, he would sell you one for like $2, knowing you would bring it back and not take it hiking. They were great for running to the grocery or to Wally World.

Skid.
02-03-2012, 22:42
Another vote for finding a hostel that would appreciate a bike. Otherwise, somebody is likely to take it downhill to town and leave it there, deciding to hitch back instead of riding uphill.

strollingalong
02-04-2012, 23:36
give it to a poor kid

trainhopper
02-06-2012, 21:02
I am not really concerned about liability. Part of living in a free society involves the individuals right to choose if he/she wants to wear a helmet. I agree wearing a helmet makes you safer, but it is not my business what people choose to do. Its not like I would be doing this as a business and could get sued. My concern is what everyone else has been stressing and that is if the bike would last. Donating the bike to a hostel is not a bad idea. I feel like from my experience hiking it would be way more useful very close to a trail head. Because I live very close to the AT I know which road intersections get heavy day hiking use and which do not. I got my moneys worth out of the bike when I was younger and do not care if it does indeed get taken. Despite everyone's advice which I appreciate, I think I am going to give this a try. I will keep everyone updated when I get around to the location.

Spokes
02-06-2012, 21:12
Bicycle sharing programs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_sharing_system) have been around for a while and are worldwide.

The earliest one in the USA was in Portland, Oregon way back in 1994. It's demise was theft and vandalism.

Want to do something good for a thru hiker? Leave a cooler full of cold soda along the trail instead.

Blissful
02-06-2012, 21:15
I met a guy in PA last spring carrying a scooter to use in town...

Wise Old Owl
02-06-2012, 21:17
I like the idea and it has merit - repaint it on the top bar with the WB logo! - so what so it get stolen.... loads of bikes get end up at police stations and get recylced suggest a 4 digit lever lock. NO key, otherwise it get the tree chopped.

and I like Ali's idea too. If you want a donation for Port Clinton I have one.

rjjones
02-06-2012, 21:25
Hopper,i too beleive in a free sociaty and being able to make choices for yourself.But when someone rides the bike,falls off and smashes their head,they will probably try to sue you for not making a helmet available.The world we live in?????

hikerboy57
02-06-2012, 21:34
Hopper,i too beleive in a free sociaty and being able to make choices for yourself.But when someone rides the bike,falls off and smashes their head,they will probably try to sue you for not making a helmet available.The world we live in?????i think thats about as likely as someone suing the AT for falling.the OP wants to make it available to Wbers, not to the general public. the OP can put a disclaimer on his post disclosing the combination.

Tinker
02-07-2012, 01:03
Post deleted.

Pedaling Fool
02-07-2012, 09:24
When I first read this one of my thoughts was on the legal implications, but don't really know enough about that to know the real legal risks involved. We're a free society that likes the freedom to sue. Maybe rain man can elaborate on that aspect.

But beyond that just another aspect would be maintenance. Are you willing to do maintenace on this bike? The most common of which would simply be keeping the tires inflated. I don't think the bike would get that much use and for reasons I don't understand tires seem to go flat quicker (all tires leak) when the bike just sits as opposed to be ridden everyday. You'd also have to oil the lock once in a while, locks freeze up quick just sitting outside.

Pedaling Fool
02-07-2012, 09:28
BTW, don't forget about actual flats that require more than just a replenishment of air. Pretty common on a bike.

hikerboy57
02-07-2012, 09:35
can of fix a flat?