PDA

View Full Version : Eating Establishments

Easyhiker
12-14-2002, 14:10
What are some of your Favorite Eating Establishments along the trail? What are some of your better storys from these Eating Establishments? Which Eating Establishments do you get the most bang for the buck? Which Eating Establishments shouldn't be passed up?

Bandana Man
12-14-2002, 15:53
Is Daniel's Steakhouse AYCE buffet still open in Hiawassee? It's across from Mulls Motel. I think I ate enough for a family of four and it cost less than $7. Wow...

Moose2001
12-14-2002, 16:33
The Chinese AYCE in Waynesboro. Located in the plaza next to the supermarket. AYCE buffet including King Crab legs, fruit bar, desert bar, and a softserve ice cream machine. Yummmmmmmmmmmm!

wacocelt
12-14-2002, 19:14
The Brick Oven in Hanover. I ordered 2 Pepperoni and Pineapple Calzones, the waiter/bartender asked if I wanted then to go. When I said no, I was going to eat them there he did a double take then shrugged and sent the order back. He asked if I wanted a beer, but I only had enough for the food, so he bought me a 24 oz glass of Newcastle, my favorite beer. I was the only sit down customer that afternoon, so when the food came out he and the three cook stood and talked to me while I devoured both Calzones.
Did I mention I also drank 5 free beers with my meal? I walked out of there THRUoughly full and happily drunk as the proverbial skunk. I believe the staff was all Dartmouth students, but I look forward to eating there in 03' nonetheless.

PushingDaisies
12-14-2002, 21:20
My favorite was The Barn Resturant in Rural Retreat, VA. Decent food that's not that expensive.

Plus, gotta love the trucker attmosphere. Met a couple of truckers who lived about 5 minutes away from my parents in Minnesota. They wanted to know the story behind all of our packs that were lining the wall.

Lone Wolf
12-15-2002, 11:35
Yes Daniel's is still open. Great chow!

Jumpstart
12-15-2002, 11:57
The Homeplace; just after you come down from Dragon's Tooth. We stayed at Four Pines Hostel and the owner brought us in with 15 other hikers...all you can eat amazing homestyle freid chicken, potatoes, veggies, and more milk than you drink in a sitting. It was just good, wholesome food in a great atmosphere.

peter2003
12-31-2002, 10:00
Check out the AMC Pinkham Notch restuarant/snack bar for breakbast; it is AYCE and for AMC members the cost is about $7.00. Great way to start out a trail day; of course, if you come with a doggy bag you can even have snacks and lunch covered on the way to Route 2 in Gorham, NH. Sort of a funny story, the AMC restaurant staff had control of the bread the last time I was there and would make toast if people asked. Well since my goal was a trail B&J sandwich I with a strait face had to claim that I did not like toast and liked by bread plain. I got the 4 slicers and 2 P&J sandwiches. Great place for supper to if you are in the area. ;) :p

Grimace
12-31-2002, 12:50
You know in The Three Amigos when they enter the saloon and everything just stops, people staring, you could hear a pin drop. Happened twice to me.

First one was Duncannon, PA. We were hiking south and had pulled a 26 or 27 to get into town. We showed up at Truck Stops of America around 9:00 pm. Entered the door and started hearing the forks dropping. Truck drivers of every shape size and color just stared literally with their mouths opened. Awesome. Chow was horrible but plentiful and I learned that a tractor can hold 3000 gallons of fuel! 3000 gallons!!!

Second time was immediatley after finishing the trail at Springer we got a ride to The Spring House in Dahlonegha, GA. Awesome country style AYCE buffet. It was packed for Sunday, after church lunch and I walked in there with my kilt and formerly white guayavera shirt stinking to high heaven. Again, utter slience. We got sat down at a large table with another family whom I'm affraid couldn't stomach much after smelling us and watching us eat for 2 hours straight. Awesome meal for the first or last depending which way you're heading.

Jack Tarlin
12-31-2002, 15:04
The "Brick Oven" place in Hanover is actually called "Ramunto's" and is on Main St. just down from the Post office, and across the street from the Foodstop convenience store. It does indeed have the best pizza in town, tho the best place to eat (and certainly to drink!) in town remains 5 Olde Nugget Alley, just off Main St. behind the Dirt Cowboy Cafe (also the best coffee on the Trail!). 5 Olde is comfortable, reasonably priced, has great food, and is VERY hiker friendly, as one of the owners has more than a few Trail miles behind him. Along with the Doyle in Dunacannon and Dot's in Damascus, it's the best bar/restaurant on the Trail. It's also the only bar in town where you can smoke (tho the dining room is smoke-free, for you tobacco weenies); I never much could understand the point of a saloon where you couldn't have a smoke....kinda like kissing your sister.....I mean, it's a nice idea and all, but what's the point?

Oh, and if you're REALLY lucky, you might even run into Bill Bryson there.

wacocelt
12-31-2002, 19:46
Damn, I swear it was called the Brick Oven in 00', but i've had a few beers and slept since then. Thanks for correcting me Jack, if someone had missed it because of me I'de suffer the consequences karmically I'm sure! :D

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 16:26
The Homeplace restaurant in Catawba, Va.
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/

rafe
01-30-2008, 16:32
I enjoyed my prime rib and brews (and good company) at the South Mountain Inn in Maryland. Unique in that it's such easy access to the trail, and right next to a campground with a real, hot shower.

NLena
01-30-2008, 16:43
Mountain Harbour Bed and Breakfast on 19E in Tenn. has the best breakfast I ever ate on the trail. It's pretty cheap (if I remember correctly it was like $6) and you get a TON of homemade, delicious food. Really amazing food. I didn't stay there but it seemed like a nice place to stay too.

Nean
01-30-2008, 17:10
Second time was immediatley after finishing the trail at Springer we got a ride to The Spring House in Dahlonegha, GA. Awesome country style AYCE buffet. It was packed for Sunday, after church lunch and I walked in there with my kilt and formerly white guayavera shirt stinking to high heaven. Again, utter slience. We got sat down at a large table with another family whom I'm affraid couldn't stomach much after smelling us and watching us eat for 2 hours straight. Awesome meal for the first or last depending which way you're heading.

I always enjoyed that place too, only they called it the Smith House when I went.;)

Hooch
01-30-2008, 17:14
How about the Smoky Mountain Diner and Paddler's Pub in Hot Springs? :D

Nean
01-30-2008, 17:19
How about the Smoky Mountain Diner and Paddler's Pub in Hot Springs? :D

Paddlers is overpriced and not that good in my opinion. Best deal in town is Smoky Mtn. and the best food is at Elmers.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 17:25
I always enjoyed that place too, only they called it the Smith House when I went.;)

http://www.smithhouse.com/about/dining/dining.html

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 17:25
Paddlers is overpriced and not that good in my opinion. Best deal in town is Smoky Mtn. and the best food is at Elmers.

Paddlers is awful

Hooch
01-30-2008, 17:27
Paddlers is overpriced and not that good in my opinion. Best deal in town is Smoky Mtn. and the best food is at Elmers.I haven't stayed at Elmer's yet. I usually stay at Creek Ridge when I'm in Hot Springs. Smoky Mountain Diner has some awesome breakfast wraps! Yum!

Paddlers is awfulThe food is ok, but the beer is a lot better.

rafe
01-30-2008, 17:42
I haven't stayed at Elmer's yet.

Try it. I never expected vegetarian food to taste so good! Elmer's place was one of the highlights of my hike.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 17:47
was hard to beat the old Shaw's for breakfast or dinner

Nean
01-30-2008, 17:47
Try it. I never expected vegetarian food to taste so good! Elmer's place was one of the highlights of my hike.

I don't think you have to stay to eat there.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 17:48
I don't think you have to stay to eat there.

yup. you do nowadays

Kirby
01-30-2008, 17:48
There's a barbque place in Monson that has tbe best barbque I've ever had. It was quite good.

Shaw's food is also great, and the people are great there too.

Kirby

mystic
01-30-2008, 17:49
One memorable spot was the Sugar Grove Diner & B&B. Fried catfish, corn bread, beans & onions, sweet iced tea and blackberry cobbler. Breakfast was homemade biscuits and gravy, sausage and eggs with a big cold glass of milk and coffee. I stayed overnight and for $35 I got a ride to/from Mount Rogers HQ and a nice apartment with a big living room, kitchen, bedroom and bath. Everyone was very nice and friendly. Thanks Peggy!

J5man
01-30-2008, 17:49
The Homeplace restaurant in Catawba, Va.
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/

I am moving to Roanoke, VA next week and HikerHead has already told me about this place. Stumpknocker will be coming thru soon so the 3 of us are headed that way. I understand Stumpknocker loves the fried chicken. As a KY native, I think I will like that place too!

Nean
01-30-2008, 18:16
I know it's a slightly different trail but there is a great new cafe on the CDT, operated by 2 really nice hiker types. :-? Best food I've ever had!!:banana

Harmony Works in Pagosa Springs, Co.:welcome 10% off for Hiker Trash too!:p

Think Spring
01-30-2008, 18:31
:confused:What ever happened to the Four Pines Hostel just past the Dragon's Tooth? Is it still up and running, or did it go in the same way as Mountain Momma's?

clured
01-30-2008, 18:36
There's a barbque place in Monson that has tbe best barbque I've ever had. It was quite good.

Shaw's food is also great, and the people are great there too.

Kirby

I agree 100%. Best burger on the trail, for serious.

LIhikers
01-30-2008, 18:46
The wife and I have only done between 600 and 700 miles of the trail so far but I remember a good meal at the italian place in Boiling springs and an even better lunch at the Doyle Hotel. Just a simple burger, cheese fries, salad, and a couple of beers but it all tasted good to me.

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2008, 19:16
Wow, so many to chose from:

*Best bar food: Dot's in Damascus; the Doyle in Duncannon
*Best place to get a burger and a beer: Five Olde in Hanover
*Best bagels: Bagel basement, Hanover
*Best Sunday brunch: EBA's in Hanover
*Best Chinese Food: Ming Garden in Waynesboro
*Best Pizza: Ramunto's in Hanover
*Best deli sandwhiches: The little market in Unionville, NY or Mt. Top Market
near Rt. 52 in NY
*Best Fried Chicken (in the world!): Homeplace Reastaurant, Catawba
*Best Supermarket: Kroger's in Daleville
*Best Ridiculously Over-Priced Supermarket: The Food Co-op, Hanover
*Best candy store: Port Clinton Peanut Shop
*Best cup of Coffee: Dirt Cowboy Cafe, Hanover
*Best Ice Cream: 3b in Duncannon
*Best breakast: Miss Janet's House, either past or future
*Best steak: Damascus, if Lone Wolf is grilling it
*Best Italian: Anywhere I'm making lasagna
*Best BBQ: There isn't any

Rockhound
01-30-2008, 19:22
Elmers? nice hostel certainly if you catch Elmer in a good mood, but I'm a carnivore. I need something more than alfalfa sprouts & rose petals to sustain me. The Homeplace is the balls. Almost worth a zero so you can eat there twice.

Tennessee Viking
01-30-2008, 19:50
Bob's Dairyland in Roan Mountain is a very good diner.
There is a good german deli in Shady Valley at the crossroads.
Ice Cream in Damascus can't beat that.

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 19:51
McDonald's dollar menu!!

Kirby
01-30-2008, 21:06
Wow, so many to chose from:

*Best BBQ: There isn't any

Jack:
Have you been to the BBQ place in Monson? If not, you should go there your next time thru, easily the best BBQ I've ever had, and the people there are real nice folks, down to earth type of place too.

I think you would like it,
Kirby

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 21:09
Jack:
Have you been to the BBQ place in Monson? If not, you should go there your next time thru, easily the best BBQ I've ever had, and the people there are real nice folks, down to earth type of place too.

I think you would like it,
Kirby
IN the last two summers I've probably spent ten days in Monson and still haven't made it to that place - even though everyone raves about it. Maybe I'll give it a try this June.

Kirby
01-30-2008, 21:12
IN the last two summers I've probably spent ten days in Monson and still haven't made it to that place - even though everyone raves about it. Maybe I'll give it a try this June.

It's worth the trip. I have zero complaints.

Kirby

Gray Blazer
01-30-2008, 21:15
Bob's Dairyland in Roan Mountain is a very good diner.

Is that the place (heading North on the right) that has those good milkshakes? When I was hitching back to the top of Roan, the locals who picked me up at 19E stopped there. I reccommend it. We always stop at Erwin Burrito. I know a lot of thrubees mention that place in the shelter logs.

rafe
01-30-2008, 21:20
Elmers? nice hostel certainly if you catch Elmer in a good mood, but I'm a carnivore. I need something more than alfalfa sprouts & rose petals to sustain me. The Homeplace is the balls. Almost worth a zero so you can eat there twice.

Of course, being a carnivore doesn't mean you gotta eat meat every meal or every day. :rolleyes: Frankly I can't recall what I ate at Elmer's, but I do recall that it was delicious.

Hikerhead
01-30-2008, 21:23
:confused:What ever happened to the Four Pines Hostel just past the Dragon's Tooth? Is it still up and running, or did it go in the same way as Mountain Momma's?

It went bye-bye.

Bearpaw
01-30-2008, 21:29

I couldn't get into Elmer's on my thru-hike, no room, but I visited at the end of a section hike in 2005. Dinner was good, but man, after a couple hundred miles, I really wished I'd had some meat instead of tofu. It may have been because there were only 3 or four of us at dinner, but I went away a bit hungry.

Of course, I'm always a bit hungry it seems. ;)

Breakfast skillets at the Smoky Mountain Diner are outstanding! :)

ki0eh
01-31-2008, 08:41
at the Doyle Hotel. ... cheese fries, ... and a couple of beers

should be CHILI cheese fries...

http://erickpanger.com/at/album/slides/ATSection42.html

Lilred
01-31-2008, 10:55
I loved my dinner at Elmer's. One of the best on the trail for me so far. It was outstanding, there were about ten of us around the table. The food was gourmet and I'd gladly become a vegetarian if I could eat like that every day.

Thoughtful Owl
01-31-2008, 11:26
The Homeplace restaurant in Catawba, VA gets my vote too. Some of the best homestyle cooked food and the friendliest hiker friendly folks around.

Alligator
01-31-2008, 11:29
The wife and I have only done between 600 and 700 miles of the trail so far but I remember a good meal at the italian place in Boiling springs and an even better lunch at the Doyle Hotel. Just a simple burger, cheese fries, salad, and a couple of beers but it all tasted good to me.I think that Italian place is called Aniles. The food was very good there.

Terry7
01-31-2008, 12:25
If you come into Catawba between Monday-Thrusday then go to the Catawba General Store and eat in the "Fine Dining and Hardware Room". If your there Friday-Sunday then "The Home Place" is the place to be.

Nean
01-31-2008, 12:47
Of course, being a carnivore doesn't mean you gotta eat meat every meal or every day. :rolleyes: Frankly I can't recall what I ate at Elmer's, but I do recall that it was delicious.

Common sense isn't that common anymore.:(