PDA

View Full Version : Quick ways to the AT from Florida?

DogPaw
01-31-2012, 11:16
Is there a quick way to make it up to the AT without having to go to Atlanta first? Does the Florida Scenic Trail make it's way up to it? I sincerely doubt the family sedan could make it up there in one piece and back. There's always a plane, but then I'd be $100 or so short, which isn't ideal. Are there any trams or shuttles servicing central Florida? I've got options still, but I'd like to make getting up in the first place as painless and/or entertaining as possible. I can take 41st Trailhead onto the Scenic, but I'm not sure where it'd dump me off as I'm not finished there yet.

marty1983
01-31-2012, 20:04
Just picked up a plane ticket from Tampa to Atlanta for $68 on Expedia (AirTran). I then have a buddy picking me up from the airport in Atlanta and giving me a ride to AFSP. This was much cheaper than renting a car or taking the bus. Also, you would probably spend more than that on gas and wear & tear on you car. Just a thought!! Good Luck!!

annajay
01-31-2012, 20:38
Megabus (see megabus.com) runs from Orlando, Gainesville, and maybe a few other Florida cities to Atlanta for as low as $1 each way.

TammyLynn
01-31-2012, 20:57
I've been researching this as well (trying to get from South Florida to the AT in March), and I've found from West Palm to Atlanta for $100 (Delta and Airtran), or from Orlando to Atlanta for $70. Also, on the ATC website, there's a shuttle listed that runs from Melbourne up to the AT. I'm planning on flying to Atlanta and, since I'm staying at the Hiker's Hostel, having pick me up as part of their thru-hiker's special. Also, from what I understand, the Florida Trail runs into another trail, which runs into the Benton McKaye Trail, which runs into the AT, lol. Good luck!

TammyLynn
01-31-2012, 21:02
Just looked at megabus.com. For me to get from Orlando to Atlanta - MARTA Peachtree Station is only $5?? How is that possible?

Duff
01-31-2012, 22:18
Florida Trail to the Pinhoti Trail to the Benton Mackaye and you'll be right at Springer.

WingedMonkey
01-31-2012, 23:29
Florida Trail to the Pinhoti Trail to the Benton Mackaye and you'll be right at Springer.

There is a lot of highway miles walking from the end of the Florida Trail to what few parts of the Pinhoti exist in Alabama woods.

WingedMonkey
01-31-2012, 23:31
Megabus (see megabus.com) runs from Orlando, Gainesville, and maybe a few other Florida cities to Atlanta for as low as $1 each way.

If his age in profile is accurate:

All children under 17 years of age must be accompanied by an adult (17 years of age or over) when traveling on megabus.com. Unaccompanied children under the age of 17 are not permitted to travel on megabus.com.

BlackCloud
01-31-2012, 23:50
Allegiant Air flies so cheap from FLA to Knoxville, Asheville, & the Tri-Cities airport (like an hour from Davenport Gap) in TN that it's hideous. We're talking $40 one way tickets incl taxes (w/o bags).

http://www.allegiantair.com/aaRouteMapInteractive.php

pdcollins6092
01-31-2012, 23:50
Just looked at megabus.com. For me to get from Orlando to Atlanta - MARTA Peachtree Station is only $5?? How is that possible?I'm wondering the same thing....

MJW155
02-01-2012, 00:23
Honestly, if you are having trouble coming up w/ money just to get to the trail, you probably shouldn't be hiking the trail in the first place. I'm flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Atlanta and staying at the Hiker Hostel on 4/3. I start my hike the 4th. Plane ticket, staying at HH and transportation to trail is less than $200 combined.

MJW155
02-01-2012, 00:24
Don't waste time taking a bus unless you are really really short on cash. It's not worth the aggravation. You'll be on the bus for 12+ hours, uncomfortable and it's not a good way to start a 5+ month trip.

HT1
02-01-2012, 06:13
megabus claimes thier large savings is due to not having terminals and cashiers... you pay on the internet, print your own ticket, and go to where the bus is collecting people. still many fares seem too cheap

rockerZ71
02-01-2012, 08:31
I'm happy to help anyone needing a ride to the trail from the atlanta area if you pay for my gas (and I'm available the day you need a ride)

Hikes in Rain
02-01-2012, 13:23
No good quick way. Car pooling would be nice for us Floridians, but so far, I haven't been able to make it work.

BaconTime
02-02-2012, 09:54
Really. If you can't afford to get to the trail you can't afford to hike the trail.

TammyLynn
02-02-2012, 21:30
Don't waste time taking a bus unless you are really really short on cash. It's not worth the aggravation. You'll be on the bus for 12+ hours, uncomfortable and it's not a good way to start a 5+ month trip.

The ticket I looked at was an overnight at a little less than nine hours, and I'm staying at the Hiker's Hostel the night I get there. I'm not worrying about the short on cash part, but it's nice to save money where you can!

JAK
02-03-2012, 07:02
No one said anything about being short on cash.
Nothing wrong with being frugal.

Pedaling Fool
02-03-2012, 08:54
If I want to take a train to the Atlanta/Gainesville area from the Jacksonville area I have to go north to D.C. and then head to Atlanta. So a train is pretty much out of the question, seems to be the issue with everyone else. Although, I can't really say that bothers me, because I've had some really bad experiences on trains.

nitewalker
02-03-2012, 09:20
i took the train from florida to providence way back in 1987 and what a ride... i boarded the train, found the train car where they serve mind altering drinks. proceeded to drink some of those drinks, met a girl who was going to providence, drank some more, had a rendevous. woke up a few hours later no girl, no money, no ticket and a huge headache. not sure if i got riped off or just got too loaded and lost my ticket and spent all my loot. i just wrote it off as the later. i had to explain my situation to the clerk at the station in philly while on a two hour layover. they found me in the system and allowed me to board the next train to providence.....all in all it was a great time and an experience i will never forget. i cant remember much more than that about the trip....

MJW155
02-03-2012, 15:30
No one said anything about being short on cash.
Nothing wrong with being frugal.

Nothing wrong w/ being frugal but when the OP says he doubts the family car can make the trip up there, it's kinda implied he's short on cash.

Slo-go'en
02-03-2012, 17:12
Nothing wrong w/ being frugal but when the OP says he doubts the family car can make the trip up there, it's kinda implied he's short on cash.

And if he is really only 15, that would make sense and makes one wonder about the whole thing.