PDA

View Full Version : glove selection for 2012 thru hike

mdp9
01-31-2012, 12:49
I was planning on bringing some little cheap gloves I've already got. I'm not sure if that will be sufficient. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are waterproof gloves necessary?

Personal details:
- NOBO
- leaving April 2nd
- normal temperature sensitivity level (I think...)
- using Frogg Toggs for rain gear, Patagonia Micropuff for my jacket

HiKen2011
01-31-2012, 13:10
I use wool army liners, all I have ever needed. $2.00 per pair

Tinker
01-31-2012, 13:31
Waterproof gloves are nice on cold, rainy days, but you'll carry them a lot more than you'll use them. I have an old pair of downhill ski gloves which are mostly waterproof, and I carry them on short, cold section hikes. I normally use fleece hunting gloves with a windproof membrane in them for general cold weather hikes.

For people who get cold hands easily it might be worth trying vinyl examination gloves under their regular gloves (as a vapor barrier).

I have waterproof/breathable (such as it is) Gore-tex overmitts from Outdoor Research, but I normally only carry them in full-on winter weather.

If you find that you don't need warm or waterproof gloves you can always send them home. Most thruhikers carry glove liners and use them regularly, but, once wet, they're like no gloves at all, or worse, they suck the heat out of your hands. Keep them dry (heavy duty dishwashing gloves should work short term).

YohonPetro
01-31-2012, 13:51
An extra pair of wool socks?

Mags
01-31-2012, 15:35
Wool liner gloves and a simple shell.

Use this setup not only for three season backpacking but winter as well.

TOMP
01-31-2012, 15:54
Im bringing some waterproof gloves because I figure I will be walking in the rain when it is cold at least for a few days.

Feral Bill
01-31-2012, 16:10
Surplus wool mittens with trigger finger. Cheap. Handy. Warm.

swjohnsey
01-31-2012, 16:24
100 wt fleece mittens.

SCRUB HIKER
01-31-2012, 16:29
I left on April 3 NOBO last year and used my gloves (black windstopper liners) precisely once before I sent them home in Erwin a month later. If I were doing it again I wouldn't bring them at all. Two issues, though:

- You might deal with more snow/cold rain this year than I did.
- I don't use trekking poles, so I can just shove my hands in my pockets whenever I want.

garlic08
01-31-2012, 17:51
I started NOBO on April 4 and was very happy to have my Campmor glove liners. They don't seem to have them any more, but they're something like this: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___36153

T (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___36153)hey're just one step above surplus wool liners in price and performance. But basically, your cheap gloves will probably work. My coldest days were in the upper 20s with blowing snow, so thin gloves were nice to have. I sent them home in early May and regretted that a few days later in very cold rain. I tried the sock trick and that didn't work all that well, and my spare socks got wet.

theoilman
01-31-2012, 17:56
I wear mechanics gloves, most all the time, but even in the heat of summer. I've taken enough falls on rocks and skinned my hands up enough to appreciate some thin, lightweight protection.

Del Q
01-31-2012, 20:42
Regardless of weather I REALLY like my Mountain Laurel Design eVent mittens, learned about them here on WB, super light, especially good when wet and cold, I just wear them and my hands are dry and toasty warm. On top of gloves = very warm. Good gear.

MaybeTomorrow
02-18-2012, 08:54
I'm curious to try the NASA developed aluminized nylon thread gloves and socks. Anyone tried these already?

MJW155
02-18-2012, 09:09
I'm bringing my Gore-Tex gloves from Campmor. I'm leaving on April 4th, will send them home once it warms up for good. I hate having cold hands. I can hike in 20 degree weather wearing shorts but I need gloves for my hands.

handlebar
02-20-2012, 21:28
Regardless of weather I REALLY like my Mountain Laurel Design eVent mittens, learned about them here on WB, super light, especially good when wet and cold, I just wear them and my hands are dry and toasty warm. On top of gloves = very warm. Good gear. +1 on the MLD eVent mittens. I use mine w/ smartwool glove liners in cooler weather. Note, however, you need to seam seal the MLD mittens. I found out the hard way!

Smooth & Wasabi
02-20-2012, 23:15
MLD Rain mitts and thin liner gloves or OR versa liner glove system. My wife and I have the old school OR lightweight goretex mittens that we picked up at mountain crossings in 02. They are awesome and with thin liner glvoes just as light and versatile as the current examples.

ChinMusic
02-20-2012, 23:52
Re MLD eVent mittens: I have seam sealed mine but the seam seal seems to come off quickly with use, just peels away. I have never had that problem with seam sealing a tent but I just can't seem to get it to stick to these mittens. Any ideas? Taping?

Tinker
02-21-2012, 00:00
Are you using silicone sealant? I think you need to use urethane like Seam Grip. If you are using urethane, you might need to clean the seams with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits before applying it.
The outside of the fabric has a DWR, which resists sealants soaking into the fabric.

http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam-Sealer-Outdoor-Repair-P133.aspx

Tenderheart
02-21-2012, 11:34
An extra pair of wool socks?

Way too simple, but it works.

bamboo bob
02-21-2012, 11:41
I have often taken glove liners but rarely use them. My hands just get too hot. Even on snow shoes I find cloves to be too hot. They usually go in the first box home. Starting in April I would skip them. maybe starting in February.