PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Aether carry on ?

marty1983
01-31-2012, 21:47
In just a couple of weeks I will be leaving for my hike. I am first flying to Naples, FL, where I will be staying about a week with family and then I am flying from Tampa to Atlanta. I have an Osprey Aether 70 pack and was wondering if that is small enough for carry on luggage.?.? I plan on removing the hip belt and storing it in the pack. Besides the fuel, which I don't plan on purchasing until I get to Atlanta, what should I mail ahead to AFSP? I was thinking trekking poles, knife, stove, steripen, and first aid kit would should probably be mailed. Does anyone else have any other input regarding the logistics of this? Thanks for the help...looking forward to seeing some of you out there!

Marty

Wizard 2009
01-31-2012, 22:29
I would consult the list of "prohibited items" for air travel...if you carry any of them they should be mailed to AFSP, the list you have are the obvious ones, but things like toothpaste or camp soap may also be prohibited if they are over 3 oz.

chiefiepoo
02-01-2012, 00:13
I don't think it fits the Delta criteria. A tad too long possibly
http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/carryon/index.jsp

You might score a free gate check, at least you'll know its on the palne with you.
I own a 70 but have always checked it or sent FedEx

bigcranky
02-01-2012, 08:40
Technically the Aether 70 is too long to qualify as a carry on bag. However, I've seen plenty of large hiking backpacks carried onto airplanes in the last few years, so people do get away with it. I would think you'd have better luck if it's not stuffed completely full, and if your plane is not at capacity. Mailing the banned stuff to AFSP is also a great idea.

You could also buy the cheapest possible duffle bag, put all your gear including the pack inside the bag, check it in the plane, and toss the duffle when you get there. (Dang, it pains me just to write that last part. Instead, try to give it away to someone who could use it.)

ekeverette
02-01-2012, 09:07
that's what i was going to do with my aethers 70 also.... buy a cheap duffle.., but i'm taking a train, hopefully i can store it overhead. good luck, great pack!