PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get comfortable long distance hiking - Pre-hiking

leftorright
02-01-2012, 01:20
I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas or tips. What I'm thinking of, for instance. I don't usually sleep in socks and never with a hat on, but I figure I will be probably on trips this spring so I've started wearing a hat and socks to bed to get used to it so it won't be such an abrubt transition once I'm out... any other tips?

map man
02-01-2012, 01:33
Get your hiking shoes and socks dialed in before you leave. This is easier said than done because there is no good way to simulate the conditions your feet will have to withstand on the trail -- the extra weight you will be carrying around in your pack that will change the stress points on your feet when you hike; the days of hiking with wet feet; the high miles on rocks and roots day after day. It took me four years of long backpacking trips before I finally stumbled on the right shoe/sock combination for me.

I can only suggest making sure that at the very least whatever shoes you are going to wear are VERY comfortable on your feet in everyday walking that you do before the hike.

TheCheek
02-01-2012, 09:00
It is going to be an uncomfortable experience almost entirely. That statement is not to scare you off, just to make sure you are looking at this realistically. Sure there are small things you can do to make it slightly less physically difficult, but the difference between wearing a hat and socks at night vs not wearing them prior to your hike will not matter, especially if you still plan to sleep in a cozy mattress. You will be tired enough at the end of most day, especially in the begining, that sleeping comes without difficulty for most people.Also, the reality of a thru hike is (and the beauty) is that it is often best not to prepare yourself for most things other than making sure you have the basic minimal set of stuff you need for the time of year and location that you start. Doing small exercises rarely makes a difference for most people and anyone backpacking is going to be sore and uncomfortable.

rocketsocks
02-01-2012, 09:17
Try some fasting,to better understand the hunger pangs.Try not to drink water all day so you can feel what it is really like to be dehydrated,(don't do this on the same day as fasting,to keep data separate) but tell someone your doing this so an outsider can monitor you,and you'll have a good understanding of disorganized thinking,and make note of the warning signs.Hang one leg off the edge of the bed in a tub of water,so you can determine if you are a bed wetter,this could be most embarrassing in a sheltered situation.

garlic08
02-01-2012, 09:23
Carry less stuff.

Jim Adams
02-01-2012, 09:24
I get tired and sore especially at the beginning but to me the comfort level is what you make of it. With me I have found that although I really liked to hike fast when I was younger, that usually made my comfort level better but now being older, it just takes alot of the comfort out of the hike. I also tried the ultralight gear and setups for a while but although it made the actual hiking a little easier, it made the comfort level drop drastically in camp. I didn't care for that at all as in-camp time is when you are re-charging for tomorrow. You have to put it all in perspective...you are living OUTSIDE for 6 months...do the best that you can to make that comfortable and enjoy the experience or have it turn your life into a death march...either way it is up to you and mostly YOUR attitude...FYI, HYOH.

geek

MuddyWaters
02-01-2012, 09:28
you can walk around all day in the rain carrying your pack then sleep outside on a wet porch in a thunderstorm.

RWheeler
02-01-2012, 09:28
I've done things like buy a week's worth of hiker food and eat nothing but that for the week, do hikes while hungry, do hikes with low water, do hikes in terrible weather.

Lone Wolf
02-01-2012, 09:30
I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas or tips. What I'm thinking of, for instance. I don't usually sleep in socks and never with a hat on, but I figure I will be probably on trips this spring so I've started wearing a hat and socks to bed to get used to it so it won't be such an abrubt transition once I'm out... any other tips?just go and start walkin'. deal with things as you go. you're only 23. you'll be fine

Jim Adams
02-01-2012, 09:34
just go and start walkin'. deal with things as you go. you're only 23. you'll be fine

Exactly!.....you will be out in that weather for 6 months...why would anyone want to make it 7 months with the first one at home?

geek

Pedaling Fool
02-01-2012, 09:39
just go and start walkin'. deal with things as you go. you're only 23. you'll be fine
Yeah, just do it. I know it's a cliche, but it's true. You won't finish all your hikes, but just keep at it. You hear this same question with respect to running or cycling long distances and everyone starts mentioning various types of shoes or seats or this or that...But I've found that nothing expensive is needed, no special fancy fittings are required, it's all about toughening up the mind and body.

It's that simple.

q-tip
02-01-2012, 09:55
Train, Train, Train, and lose as much body weight as possible. If you can walk, the rest just works out.

Kerosene
02-01-2012, 09:56
I find that I don't sleep very well the first 3 nights out on the trail; possibly due to the increase in exercise that disrupts my sleep patterns. In addition, while you might be physically capable of walking all day, there's a mental aspect of it also that many newbies don't appreciate. You could try to get out for a 3-day weekend, focusing less on miles covered or pace than hours moving forward down the trail. You might also practice setting up and breaking camp in near-darkness so you get into a rhythm (and don't forget any of your gear).
In the end though, the most important thing is to get to the trail and start walking. You'll figure it out if you give yourself enough time and don't become dissuaded by a bit of discomfort.

rocketsocks
02-01-2012, 10:02
The only training I currently do is walking,on avg.5 miles a day.this is to keep things from stiffening -up,and ultimately transition into hiking,so when the mood strikes I'm good to go,It's been working so far.

doritotex
02-01-2012, 10:03
Why don't you set up your tent in the backyard, and see how comfortable you are in the outdoors instead of your bed?

Spokes
02-01-2012, 12:59
For blister control toughen the skin by soaking your feet in a strong tea solution. About a week before your start date soak feet twice a day for say 15 minutes each. Buy cheap family size at bags from the dollar store. It's podiatrist recommended and an old trick ultrarunners use. The tannic acid in the tea is why it works.

See this article in Podiatry Today if you have doubts and look under "Other Preventative Approaches" section:

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/291?page=1

msupple
02-01-2012, 14:10
For blister control toughen the skin by soaking your feet in a strong tea solution. About a week before your start date soak feet twice a day for say 15 minutes each. Buy cheap family size at bags from the dollar store. It's podiatrist recommended and an old trick ultrarunners use. The tannic acid in the tea is why it works.

See this article in Podiatry Today if you have doubts and look under "Other Preventative Approaches" section:

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/291?page=1

Great article...thanks for posting it.

10-K
02-01-2012, 15:26
Go to the dentist, get a cleaning and some x-rays to make sure your teeth are ok.

You really want to do this, no kidding.

peakbagger
02-01-2012, 16:34
If you plan to use shelters consider sleeping on floor with your mat and sleeping bag and figure out what to use for a pillow. After you have tried that a few nights sleep out on the ground, I expect you find out why many folks prefer tenting.

Spokes
02-01-2012, 16:49
I preferred the shelter since I was lazy in the tent setup area. Always liked sleeping up against the wall (others didn't since that's where the mice ran). I did have a mouse snatch one of my earplugs right out of my ear one night in the Roaring Fork Shelter. Too funny.

Guess he needed a pillow for his den.....

On The Road Again
02-01-2012, 17:10
I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas or tips. What I'm thinking of, for instance. I don't usually sleep in socks and never with a hat on, but I figure I will be probably on trips this spring so I've started wearing a hat and socks to bed to get used to it so it won't be such an abrubt transition once I'm out... any other tips?

By day 2, you will be so tired a strange hat won't bother you.
By day 3, you will walk through spiderwebs without wiping your face. And not even care.
By day 4, you will stop noticing that your pits smell.

Nothing to do but start and keep going. The little nuisances you can't prepare for stop bothering you.

Blissful
02-01-2012, 17:48
Go to the dentist, get a cleaning and some x-rays to make sure your teeth are ok.

Yup my son had bad wisdom teeth just before we left in '07. Had them out.

As far as getting used to stuff, you will after a few days, mainly 'cause you're so tired you don't care.

Tinker
02-01-2012, 18:03
The common household item that most folks claim to miss is a chair to lean back into. Though not a necessity, a camp chair or a hammock is a nice extra so you can do more than sit leaning forward or against a tree or shelter wall.

daddytwosticks
02-01-2012, 19:55
If you are addicted to caffiene/tobacco, you may want to give them up. I definitely need my morning coffee to get started in the AM. When I get the opportunity to do a really long hike, I will be weening myself off the coffee to simplify life on the trail. :)

max patch
02-01-2012, 20:05

I have 2 suggestions. This was one of them.

The other one; If I haven't hiked in a while (I dayhike but don't backpack in the winter so this used to get me every year) after about a week on the trail my hips get really sore from the hip belt. So I've learned that its best for my to periodically use my backpack on my winter dayhikes. Weighted down with a bag of cat litter.

Papa D
02-01-2012, 20:50
You really won't push yourself as hard training to be a backpacker as you will just backpacking - I'd suggest running or other things to stay in good aerobic shape. When you get on the trail, start out doing low miles for a few days (even if you could do more) after a week or so, start adding miles to each day. Watch your feet really good in the first few days and pay attention to other health issues. Try to get a system down and (if you can) watch and learn what works (and doesn't work) for others. You'll get in great trail shape soon enough if you stick with it.

MJW155
02-01-2012, 21:22
If you are addicted to caffiene/tobacco, you may want to give them up. I definitely need my morning coffee to get started in the AM. When I get the opportunity to do a really long hike, I will be weening myself off the coffee to simplify life on the trail. :)

Yea I was going to say this. Kick the caffiene habit. Last thing you want is "needing" to make coffee/tea in the morning when you just want to break camp and get on the trail.

I think the biggest preparation for an endevour like this is the mental aspect. You have to accept that you WILL be mentally broken at some point. Just accept that it will happen. Don't try to fight it because if you do, once that point comes, you'll be frustrated that you tried to fight it and it will make you want to quit that much more. Just take a break and relax for a day or 2. Treat yourself to something that you normally wouldn't do. Upgrade to a hotel room w/ a jacuzzi or get a back massage in town or whatever that will be a welcome break to the routine of hiking. Chances are you will be invigorated once you get back on the trail and get your "second wind."

Pony
02-02-2012, 13:01
For me, a big part of keeping my head in the game was staying as comfortable as possible. It's not so important while walking, but in camp I like to maintain some level of comfort. I carried a pair of fleece pajama pants that I only wore in camp. I also tried to keep a pair of socks for camp and a tshirt relatively clean for camp. At the end of the day I tried to rinse some of the dirt and sweat off and slip into my "clean" clothes.

As far as fasting, not drinking water all day and walking around in wet clothes prior to your hike, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You will experience being hungry, thirsty, and waterlogged on the trail, and you won't need to look back at your prehike days of walking through monsoons while hungry and thirsty to realize that is what you are feeling.

mgeiger
02-02-2012, 13:31
Lots of good stuff here ill need to try. So far, In prep for an April section hike, I gave up caffeine and soft drinks last october and dont miss em. I'm hiking every weekend trying gear and myself. I've even done a few day trips on the sections I plan to pass through. I still need to lay off the beer, and drop some weight, which I hope will go hand in hand.

Tipi Walter
02-02-2012, 14:37
you can walk around all day in the rain carrying your pack then sleep outside on a wet porch in a thunderstorm.

Why don't you set up your tent in the backyard, and see how comfortable you are in the outdoors instead of your bed?

These posts hit the mark.
** Sleep outside in your yard or on your porch or deck every night, rain or sleet or snow or moon-shine. Do this religiously and dial in your sleeping pad experience. It takes a while to get used to sleeping on foam or inflatables.
** Use your backpack or get a training pack and load it up with 50-60 lbs and hike around the neighborhood every day---or jog one day and backpack the other. Try to find some good size hills.

This is true but carry some decent pain meds just in case. When you do go to the dentist he may say you need four root canals and five crowns---around $8,000---and you're trip's on hold. Ha ha ha just kidding.

wbjdmd
02-02-2012, 15:51

Good advice! I am a dentist and am suprised how many times we have patients with a tooth ache that didn't know they had a cavity until it woke them up or started swelling! An abcessed tooth will put a damper on your trip!

Prada
02-02-2012, 18:46
Take care of your feet. This is what's going to be the biggest piece of "gear" to get you through. Some previous comments about taking it slow the first few days are right on the mark, in my opinion. The times I have had "foot trouble" that slowed me down or kicked me off the trail, was when I wanted to do too much too fast. The first 2-3 days will be possibly uncomfortable for you. It does get better after that from my experience. I'm usually so happy to be on the trails though I don't care about the pains, but that's just me.

stranger
02-02-2012, 18:49
Get in 'trail shape'. The is different than being in 'good shape'. Stairs and trails 3-4 times a week with a pack on will do it, even if for just 1 hour at a time.