PDA

View Full Version : REI scratch and dent question

hiker5
03-17-2005, 11:16
I've heard on several occasions people refer to REI having "scratch and dent" sales with large discounts on gear with minor flaws or just returned items. I would like to know how you find out when these sale are happening? I vagulely recall someone telling me that REI member get notifications via email or snail mail, but I've now been a member for about a year and a half and haven't seen any such notifications. Is there a mailing list I can get on or something?

DebW
03-17-2005, 11:57
They don't announce them by smail or email. They do have notices in the stores (usually one-page flyers at the checkout counter). Also check the web site for the store near you (I think they may announce them there, not completely sure). What they sell is returned, used, and defective stuff. Sometimes they are very good deals.

hiker5
03-17-2005, 12:09
Thanks for the reply DebW. Perhaps I imagined the notification thing. I guess that means I need to make for frequent trips to REI to stay abreast of the deals.

Jaybird
03-17-2005, 12:51
I've heard on several occasions people refer to REI having "scratch and dent" sales with large discounts on gear with minor flaws or just returned items. I would like to know how you find out when these sale are happening? I vagulely recall someone telling me that REI member get notifications via email or snail mail, but I've now been a member for about a year and a half and haven't seen any such notifications. Is there a mailing list I can get on or something?

Yo Hiker5:

i get e-mail notifications from REI on a weekly basis...but, the best bet is to wait for the "NEW" models (of whatever youre looking for...) to come out & buy last years model...

another way to achieve the goal is to have a "connection" @ your local outfitter, REI or whomever....& they can make you aware of the SALE thats about to begin. :D

TJ aka Teej
03-17-2005, 13:13
I vagulely recall someone telling me that REI member get notifications via email or snail mail, but I've now been a member for about a year and a half and haven't seen any such notifications. I get REI emails, but only about regular sales. When I get to the store in Reading MA, I just head over to the section to see what been discounted. Maybe some of the other stores send out store-specific emails?

hiker5
03-17-2005, 13:17
Hhhhmmmmmmm.... Maybe I'll have to ask someone at one of the local stores if they have an email list next time I make I go. Also I just found that one of the local stores is having an attic sale by looking at the upcoming events for each store on REI.com.

Nameless
03-17-2005, 18:46
My REI up here in Alaska (we get a whole one for the state) has an "Attic" section where they place all their damaged/returned items for a greatly reduced cost. Only memebers can buy items from the attic. We never have scratch or dent sales, instead you check the attic each time you come to the store for something new. My last trip i found a pair of Montrail Hardrock trailrunners (I LOVE Montrail, NB have never fit me well, my heal lifts out of the shoe) that had been returned practically unused. I paid $30 for a $90 pair of shoes. Every couple times i find a really good deal on something i wanted before i came to the store.

Goodluck
Pink

bogey
03-17-2005, 20:56
I went to rei.com and registered. Now I get an occasional announcement, but mostly of new stuff, sometimes discounted stuff. But when you to to the web page they have a tab for REI-Outlet.com. this is not the mainstream stuff, probably the discount, return etc.

Obviously this is more of a corporate clearing house. it doesn't list it by store or anything, so checking your favorite store is still a real good idea.

erichlf
03-17-2005, 23:32
If you are a REI member you will receive notice.

Nameless
03-18-2005, 02:55
REI outlet is a good source for cheap stuff, i recently ordered a couple things off of it (If you get store delivery they dont charge you) but its not the returned or damaged items, usually last years stock or soemthing they are overstocked on.

Pink

Mountain Dew
03-18-2005, 03:03
Rei rents equipment and i believe this is what you refer to as dent/scratch. They will often sell old equipment after whatever time period or use the item has seen. The outfitters I work for use to rent equipment and we sold all of the rented backs etc.

hiker5
03-18-2005, 09:10
bogey, be aware that registering with rei.com doesn't make you a member. I'm assuming that you can buy a membership from the website (which may be what you did), but the free registration doesn't make you a member.

LIhikers
03-18-2005, 09:10
A couple of years ago I went into my local EMS to kill time while my wife was in another store. It turns out that everything in the store with a yellow tag was 30% off. Also, it was their "club day" sale where you get 30% off if you show a membership card to any outdoor club. I wandered around not really intending to buy anything. In the back of the store they had last years rental gear for sale. After looking through it all I decided to buy a 5500 cubic inch pack. It was used but in OK condition, and for $50 how could I go wrong. Then I noticed that the hand written price was on a yellow cardboard tag tied on with a piece of string. Once I got to the register the clerk tells me the price is $50. I said something like "wait a minute, please take 30% off that, it's got a yellow tag." The clerk didn't want to so I waved the manager over and explained our difference of opinion. He said that since he recognized me as a repeat customer that 30% off would be OK. As the clerk started to ring it up I chimed in that he shouldn't forget to take off another 30% for my club discount, as I spilled several membership cards onto the counter. He didn't even flinch this time and I wound up getting the pack for $28.

So I guess the moral of the story is that used rental gear can be a good deal. :banana

bogey
03-18-2005, 09:28
Hiker, thanks for pointing that out. You're right, it doesn't make you a member. But then, I was a member before there was an internet, and forgot about that part. In fact, I was surprised to be reminded that a membership cost money, albeit one time only. Guess I did pay once, but just didn't remember it. Memory is the second thing to go...don't remember what's first.

papillion
03-18-2005, 11:10
Ive found some great deals at the REI s&d sales but the store in Nashville is a mad-house during these sales.. Folks start lining up hours before the doors open and then make a mad dash for the sale bins.. I was recntly run over by a middle aged yuppy lady wearing a pink TNF fleece and matching trail runners.. SCARY! The REI dividend is freakin AWESOME.. I never realized how much you can earn back on your purchases when you're a member.. It's well worth the $15 to join.. I just got back $103 for my 2004 purchases.. They even sent me a detailed report of how much I had spent over the past twelve months.. Pretty cool.

Tim Rich
03-18-2005, 11:44
The NE Expressway store in Atlanta is having their S&D sale on Sunday, 4/10 and the Perimeter store is having theirs Saturday, 4/9. I'm not sure about the Mall of Georgia store, but it's probably Friday, 4/8. They usually do the Atlanta stores all the same Fri/Sun.

BMRisko
03-19-2005, 19:38
Ive found some great deals at the REI s&d sales but the store in Nashville is a mad-house during these sales.. Folks start lining up hours before the doors open and then make a mad dash for the sale bins.. I was recntly run over by a middle aged yuppy lady wearing a pink TNF fleece and matching trail runners.. SCARY! The REI dividend is freakin AWESOME.. I never realized how much you can earn back on your purchases when you're a member.. It's well worth the $15 to join.. I just got back $103 for my 2004 purchases.. They even sent me a detailed report of how much I had spent over the past twelve months.. Pretty cool.
Tell me about it... The Brentwood store is crazy on S&D days, sometimes its not even worth an attempt due to the craziness and total disregard of manners from some people.

:datz

mumblez
03-28-2005, 13:44
Yeah, I attempted a sratch and dent sale once, it was pure madness! They were supposed to let only members in, but everyone just poured in, and bought their memberships at checkout. Not sure if I'll attempt one in the future.

Footslogger
03-28-2005, 13:50
I worked at REI (Perimeter store in Atlanta) for 5 years and in my experience, each store does it a bit differently. But most of them have this type of gear/clothing sell of about once a quarter. Call your local store for their schedule.

You can make quite a killing if your timing is right and they have that one piece of gear or replacement part. Most stores don't let the employees mull over and buy stuff until the last few hours on the last day of the sale ...so get there early. Another tip is to grab a shopping basket right up front and if there's anything you see that catches your eye ...GRAB IT RIGHT AWAY. If you hesitate, walk around can come back later there's a good chance it'll be gone.

'Slogger
AT 2003

grrickar
03-29-2005, 15:14
. Another tip is to grab a shopping basket right up front and if there's anything you see that catches your eye ...GRAB IT RIGHT AWAY. If you hesitate, walk around can come back later there's a good chance it'll be gone.

'Slogger
AT 2003
I'd agree with that, and add that you should glance over other people's baskets to see what they have, because they may be doing the same thing and if they change their minds and put back the item, it'll likely get snapped up in a heartbeat. If they look like they are going to put it back, ask if they are so you can get first shot at it. One guy grabbed about 5 pair of boots and tried all of them on several times, then put three pair back and they barely touched the shelf before someone else grabbed them.

I picked up an REI Ultralight rain jacket cheap there, and found some nice boots that went cheap too. I had just bought some new Montrail Torre GTXs and they had a returned pair 1/2 off because of a broken lug at the top of the boot.