PDA

View Full Version : Hot Meals for Thru-Hikers

hound
03-17-2005, 11:27
Top O' the moring to ya folks,

I work with a scouting group that is looking to provide a little trail magic by feeding thru-hikers along the AT. We are interested in feeding as many hikers as possible and/or supplying hot meals in areas where hikers are most needy. About 25 of us would be traveling from North Alabama and as a weekend trip our extent of travel would be from GA to Northern TN. I would be grateful for any info or advice available.

MOWGLI
03-17-2005, 11:53

I work with a scouting group that is looking to provide a little trail magic by feeding thru-hikers along the AT. We are interested in feeding as many hikers as possible and/or supplying hot meals in areas where hikers are most needy. About 25 of us would be traveling from North Alabama and as a weekend trip our extent of travel would be from GA to Northern TN. I would be grateful for any info or advice available.

Hello Hound. What you're talking about doing is admirable. Perhaps you've already given this some thought, but I would suggest you consider having the boys spend a day or half a day doing trail work. Thats where the real need is. Thru-Hikers aren't really needy. They're just wanty. :D

If you pick the right section of trail, and get an AT Club to supervise your activities, the boys will encounter thru-hikers. Your troop could give out bags of M&Ms and/or sodas (or something similar) to hikers that pass by while you work on the trail. The Maine Appalachian Trail Club did this in 2000, and it was great.

Please send me a PM if you want to try and get hooked up with a trail club to arrange some work. I'm in fairly regular contact with most of them.

Jeffrey Hunter

Brock
03-17-2005, 12:44
:welcome You deserve the dancing bananna for this post. :banana

Good luck to you and your Boy Scouts. I really hope to run into some people like you when I get on the trail.

Here are some food thoughts:
Fresh meat - burgers, hotdogs and Filet Mignon steaks ;)
I don't know what I would do if a troop of Boy Scouts were at the shelter cooking burgers and just waiting for me to come up and eat them all... drooling right now.
Anything sweet - chocolate, sugary candy
Anything salty - potato chips
Colas or soda pop
Fresh fruit - banannas (the non-dancing type), apples and anything in season that goes bad quickly.

Another dancing bananna for you and your troops. :banana

Jaybird
03-17-2005, 13:25

Yo Hound:

Keep it simple...HAMBURGERS OR HOT-DOGS or both....maybe a carton of SNICKERS bars & cold drinks....etc.,etc.,etc....

i'll be out Apr 28-May 20...Hot Springs,NC to Pearisburg,VA

it's ALL is good on the TRAIL....thanks for the MAGIC! :D

minnesotasmith
03-17-2005, 13:27
1) Boston is IMO on the right track with saying to have some non-McDonald's type stuff. I'd see it as a dream come true to get offered some baked salmon filets or a spinach souffle/salad as Trail magic at a road crossing while doing my thru-hike next year, along with some whole-grain health-store bread with seasoned olive oil dip or unsalted butter, some cold skim milk or fruit juice to drink, and maybe some inexpensive sushi, clam chowder, tabouli or basil pesto on the side... YUM! (Just dreaming...)

2) If you REALLY want to make a hit, also offer something that passing hikers can take with them that won't need cooking. Since many or most won't have containers, to keep it simple and substantive, that would mean something like sandwiches, cooked barbequed meat wrapped in something, pizza slices in plastic bags, or perhaps (cooked) wrapped shish-ka-bobs. A couple of bananas, oranges, or apples never hurt, either...

Dances with Mice
03-17-2005, 14:24
Hello Hound. What you're talking about doing is admirable. Perhaps you've already given this some thought, but I would suggest you consider having the boys spend a day or half a day doing trail work. Thats where the real need is. Thru-Hikers aren't really needy. They're just wanty. :D

If you pick the right section of trail, and get an AT Club to supervise your activities, the boys will encounter thru-hikers. Your troop could give out bags of M&Ms and/or sodas (or something similar) to hikers that pass by while you work on the trail. The Maine Appalachian Trail Club did this in 2000, and it was great.

Please send me a PM if you want to try and get hooked up with a trail club to arrange some work. I'm in fairly regular contact with most of them.

Jeffrey Hunter

Beer! Oh, wait...

I'll second what Mowgli said. Targeting a shelter area to clean up and haul trash out of would also be a good service project. But don't spend the unit's hard-earned money and your boys' time feeding thru-hikers. The hikers are not poor unfortunates, they're just on long vacations.

At most, simply take extra portions of whatever y'all are having for supper, or desert, and offer to share.

Peaks
03-17-2005, 17:10

If your scout groups really wants to help all hikers, then do some trail work.