PDA

View Full Version : Are trail maps necessary

Drybones
02-01-2012, 17:36
I'm trying to lighten my load and stay at 26 lbs with 4 days of supplies so I am considering not taking trail maps. Can anyone share the value trail maps have been, or not been, to them? Thanks.

Movin'
02-01-2012, 17:46
I didn't use maps at all. The guidebook is all you need. Just look for the white blazes.

jbwood5
02-01-2012, 17:48
Somtimes they are kind of nice, but really not necessary on the AT. I have mailed ahead maps for a PO pickup and sent home some when I carried them. Also, you can usually look at someone elses map when you are at a shelter since a lot of people do carry them.

The guidebook with road crossings, trail towns, and supply locations is really a lot more important, but if you hook up with a group, you can get that information too. It's like bumbing information to keep your weight down and if everybody did that we'd all be wondering what's coming up. :)

Cookerhiker
02-01-2012, 17:53
I'm trying to lighten my load and stay at 26 lbs with 4 days of supplies so I am considering not taking trail maps. Can anyone share the value trail maps have been, or not been, to them? Thanks.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?76915-Maps-Trail-Guides

Kerosene
02-01-2012, 18:04
I've done short sections with trail stats and no map, or just a section copied onto a piece of paper. However, I have had three situations over the years, one an emergency situation, where my maps were invaluable. If weight is that much of a concern (2.25 ounces for the typical ATC map), then print them onto a plastic trash bag (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80448-Print-durable-maps-on-a-plastic-trashbag)! In addition, take your guidebook and shrink each page so you can assemble 8 pages per side of 8.5x11" paper. Alternatively, enter key info into a spreadsheet, shrink it way down to print, and then download to your smartphone to boot.

brian039
02-01-2012, 18:11
Only necessary if you plan on taking lots of blue-blazes. Even if you end up on the wrong trail, if worse came to worse, you can always see roads and houses from the trail and get to civilization and get back to the trail. But the chances of you losing the trail are really slim, just keep an eye out for white blazes at trail intersections and you'll be fine.

Spokes
02-01-2012, 18:17
You can get by without maps on the AT. I bought one in the Whites because of so many intersecting trails. Their "official" map ended up being crap so wasted my money.

garlic08
02-01-2012, 18:20
I took AAA road maps for each state. They actually show the AT. It was fun to tick off progress and could have been useful for bailing out. It was also good to verify which way to walk or hitch to town. Otherwise, I did not bring trail maps. Not only the weight, but the cost would have added 10% to my trail expenses.

There are over 82,000 blazes just going north. The only place I remember not seeing at least one at all times was in the Whites. If you're not confident in your knowledge of that area, you may want to carry a trail map there.

Spokes
02-01-2012, 18:29
Garlic08, I had better luck reading the scribble and directions carved into the trail post signs in the Whites than following the crappy map they sell at all the huts!

Storm
02-01-2012, 19:58
I ordered these. I figured for an extra 4 ounces they were worth a shot. They are currently backordered and AWOL said they should come around the 10th of Feb.

http://www.shop.theatguide.com/Pocket-Profile-full-set-of-AT-Maps-backordered-PPFS.htm;jsessionid=F09B994C2045E8BDD5B87D350433B7 A6.qscstrfrnt03

Drybones
02-01-2012, 20:04
Thanks guys for the input. Think I will go without maps. I purchased a smart phone specifically for this trip, probably never carry it again when the trip is over, and have downloaded the Thru Hiker Companion onto it. If I have reception I should be able to see a map of the surrounding area on the phone also. I have a power pack to go with the phone and plan to use the phone sparingly, so now I need to decide wheather or not to take the Thru Hiker hard copy. My gut tells me I wont need it but I dont know if I'm comfortable leaving without it.

SCRUB HIKER
02-01-2012, 21:47
This is a repost of something I wrote in another forum on the same question:

Last year, I did not see many people carrying maps. I'd estimate the percentage at 20 or below (even lower with the young crowd, which is naturally where I spent more of my time). I started out with maps but ditched them when I realized I wasn't using them at all because I also had the AWOL guide (purchased looseleaf, mailed to myself in sections). On the suggestion of Baltimore Jack when I ran into him in Harpers Ferry, I had the Maine maps mailed to me in Gorham, because a) they're extremely well-made and informative--the elevation profiles are more accurate than AWOL's, and b) Maine is wilder and more remote than the rest of the AT and the chances of getting into a tight situation with an unfordable river or some sudden emergency are higher, ergo it helps to have a map in addition to a guidebook in those cases.

fullcount
02-11-2012, 22:41
If you have an I-Phone, go to Trail Map Magic (http://www.trailmapmagic.com/Trail_Map_Magic_-_Appalachian_Trail_iPhone_App/Home.html) and download the app for the AT. I have tested this on several sections of the AT, while in Airplane Mode to save battery and the thing worked flawlessly. The program works off your GPS signal and will pinpoint where you are on the trail and how far you are away from a shelter, water, etc..., plus it has a profile on what is coming up. It even works on an Ipod Touch. Best app for the AT that combines the info you are looking for from the Thru Hikers Handbook.

Del Q
02-11-2012, 23:28
Section Hiker - I take photocopies of trail companion and other docs, use reverse side for notes, journal. Maps are nice buy not needed, wasted weight. AT is pretty easy to figure out.

fireneck
02-12-2012, 05:00
I will only be using a map while I'm in the GSMNP. Since I already own it and is a one my favorite places and I want to become far more familiar with it than I already am. Might get one for the Whites, since I've read the trail names can be very confusing. Time will tell though..

lemon b
02-12-2012, 17:26
The right one in The Whites can help.