PDA

View Full Version : Hammocks in a wind storm

Tinker
02-01-2012, 17:49
I was just thinking about how to stay safe in a hammock in a windstorm, and my experiences have taught me to look for shorter, younger trees to tie off to. They may sway more, but they won't likely be shedding large branches that could injure you or destroy your tarp. I guess this logic would apply to tents, too (but they are more or less dependent upon flattish ground, so they may not have as many options).

One more reminder to NOBOS with hammocks - watch out for poison ivy vines climbing trees in the southern states (north, too, but it's far less common).

russb
02-01-2012, 18:45
That is one benefit to a hammock is we have more options and can avoid areas with dead/dying branches overhead. Of course this requires one to "look up"; which should be standard operating procedure for all regardless of their shelter choice.

kayak karl
02-01-2012, 19:15
tarp in storm mod. hope for the best and take a camera :)
if you can get tarp to ground even if you are hammock is only 6" off it, do it.

Old Hiker
02-02-2012, 08:06
tarp in storm mod. hope for the best and take a camera :)
if you can get tarp to ground even if you are hammock is only 6" off it, do it.

Is the camera for your buddies to take pictures of the gruesome,squished aftermath to prove their story of "There I was - my buddy flattened by a tree:eek:, but I was smart and stayed in the shelter :D"?

+1 on the 6" off the ground - I got the extra large rain fly just for that and have done it. Bring the hammock down and the edges of the fly closer to the hammock. I still swayed a bit, but the fly didn't flap QUITE so much!

beakerman
02-02-2012, 16:04
Yep tarp edges in closer the hammock and take them to the ground, lower the hamock as needed to achieve this and chill. Since I still use a rectangular tarp i can stake down the middle two tie downs out form my hammock and bring my corners in to close off the ends...almost like a tent. its nice and dry in a wind blown rain.

Tinker
02-02-2012, 17:28
Yep tarp edges in closer the hammock and take them to the ground, lower the hamock as needed to achieve this and chill. Since I still use a rectangular tarp i can stake down the middle two tie downs out form my hammock and bring my corners in to close off the ends...almost like a tent. its nice and dry in a wind blown rain.

Next hammock tarp I get will be rectangular or modified rectangular - no more "Cat" styled tarps for me. One pitch I've found to be effective is closing off the ends of a rectangular tarp, either anchoring them to the ground or hanging a water bottle from them, and either staking the sides down, or using trekking poles extended all the way as cross braces under the hammock (not in the middle). Works well with my poncho, which is only 56" by 9.5 feet.