PDA

View Full Version : Shelter construction

walkin' wally
03-17-2005, 18:42
Can anyone say what kind of material is used to chink or seal between the horizontal logs on some of the shelters in the south? I am thinking of the Sam Moore Shelter as an example. I know there must be others and I don't know if the material is the same either. We don't have the gaps between the logs sealed here in Maine. It looks like a little more protection from the elements or is there another reason for sealing these joints? Just curious.

Thanks,

Walkin Wally

TakeABreak
03-17-2005, 21:48
Honestly, I do not the answer, my suggestion would to contact the trail clubs in south directly by email, you can their websites by going to the ATC's, website and clicking on one the appropriate link.

Skyline
03-17-2005, 22:37
I don't want to post his e-mail address on a public forum, but you should contact PATC's Shelter Supervisor Frank Turk. Go to http://www.patc.net/volunteer/shelters.html and follow the links. I'm reasonably sure he can offer an answer, or at least point you in the right direction. He will also sign you up for a shelter worktrip if you'd like :-)

Or even if you don't like. :-)

The Old Fhart
03-17-2005, 23:43
This probably has changed somewhat but my 1946 "Plans for an Appalachian Trail Lean-to" gives the following info. After you have prepared the surface to hold the chinking by nailing chicken wire to the logs: "A mortar mix of lime, cement, and sand in the ratio of 1:2:4 or 5 gives a good strong material for chinking. Some masons prefer a larger percentage of lime to give a "fatter" mix; more lime will give a whiter chink but it will not be as strong." This chinking looks like what you see in the twin shelters in PA.

walkin' wally
03-18-2005, 08:34
Thanks to all for the posts. I will use the link.
Maybe the PATC supervisor could come up to Maine and help me cut blowdowns in May instead. :D

Peaks
03-18-2005, 09:55
Oakum was one material used to chink between logs. Don't know if it is still being used.