PDA

View Full Version : Highway 64 in NC

PapaGarrettP
02-03-2012, 15:27
Does anyone have any experience in leaving a car on Highway 64? There is a "P" on the map, so parking there seems to be legit. The spot I am talking about is about 7 miles NOBO of Rock Gap Shelter where the trail crosses 64.

Thanks!

bigcranky
02-03-2012, 16:21
It's a real parking lot, just off the highway. There are always some cars parked there. Not sure it's any less safe than other trailhead parking. I've not parked there, though.

If you don't want to leave it there, you can park in Franklin and either hitch (easy), get a shuttle, or take Ron Haven's daily bus in thru-hiker season, if he's still doing that this year.

daddytwosticks
02-03-2012, 16:39
I've parked there many times with no problems. However, never more than 3 days. Large commercial trucks are required to pull over here and view an information sign before starting the steep drive down into Franklin. Hunters park here often, also. Hopefully, Ron Havens can add to this. :)

lissersmith
02-03-2012, 17:01
I have parked there before and not had any problems. I live in the area and have not heard of a bad reputation at that parking area.

Tennessee Viking
02-03-2012, 17:20
If you are parking for just a day-hike, no problem. I have heard there have been some isolated incidents of vandalism at Winding Stair Gap. You may want to consult Ron Haven in Franklin about shuttling and parking in town.

Hikes in Rain
02-03-2012, 17:28
I left mine there for three days, with no issurs, but that was a few years back, so it mey not be applicable today. As was said earlier, it's a big paved area, but it's right there on 64, right out in the open. I'm not sure I'd do that again.

solobip
02-03-2012, 17:31
Viking, I think he IS talking about Winding Stair, it is nort (via the trail) of Wallace Gap. I have parked there for a couple days with no problems, but you never know, best to check with Govenor Ron like Viking said. Oh his not Govenor yet? Well, you never know.

max patch
02-03-2012, 19:27
I've never parked there -- and I never would park there -- because it looks like a great spot for a meth head to do a smash and grab.

Having said that i thot I'd see what the Nantahala Hiking Club -- the ATC trail club for this section -- had to say. From their website:

"It is NOT a good place to leave a vehicle overnight! There has been vandalism to cars left here overnight."

Looks like they agree.

Airmed802
02-04-2012, 16:07
I am doing a 5 day hike in March and want to leave my vehicle in Franklin for an ending point. Does anyone know somewhere in Franklin that will let you leave a vehicle?

daddytwosticks
02-04-2012, 18:23
I am doing a 5 day hike in March and want to leave my vehicle in Franklin for an ending point. Does anyone know somewhere in Franklin that will let you leave a vehicle? Ron Havens. :)

PapaGarrettP
02-07-2012, 09:43
Thanks! It looks like it might be prudent to leave it in Franklin.