PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering - Stuff Sack

snarbles
03-17-2005, 18:59
I'm looking into an Ultralight or AlpineLight WM Sleeping bag. Dumb question, but do these come with stuff sacks? And what stuff sacks/systems are you using for this size of down bag.

Wastrel
03-17-2005, 19:13
Yep, the WM's come with both a stuff sack and a large storage bag. Haven't had the heart to compress my new Versalite down to it's minimum volume yet. I just put it into the bottom of my pack and stuff everything else on top of it.
Probably the nicest stuff sacks out there are the Granite Gear "Air Line" bags of white see-thru silly nylon at about 1/2 oz. each. GG also makes a "compression" bag that I use for my Campmoor sleeping bag.

snarbles
03-17-2005, 19:54
What type of fabric is the stuff sack it comes with? My guess is it's regular nylon without any silicone treatment. I was thinking about packing mine in some sort of Silnylon stuff sack to protect it from getting wet (any suggestions on size?). I'll have to look into the Granite Gear ones.

Youngblood
03-17-2005, 20:37
What type of fabric is the stuff sack it comes with? My guess is it's regular nylon without any silicone treatment. I was thinking about packing mine in some sort of Silnylon stuff sack to protect it from getting wet (any suggestions on size?). I'll have to look into the Granite Gear ones.Its probably some kind of coated nylon, heavier than the 1.1 oz stuff. The 1.1 oz silnylon is not all that tough and I wouldn't expect it to hold up too well as a stuff sack where you actually stuff a sleeping bag tightly in it. Most folks use the stuff sacks that come with their sleeping bags and line them with a plastic trash bag to improve waterproofness... it works very well as the stuff sack protects the delicate plastic trash bag.

Youngblood

Wastrel
03-17-2005, 20:45
The WM stuff sacks are urethane coated nylon. The fabric is waterproof, but the seams aren't sealed.
A good option for total waterproofness are the Outdoor Research HydroLite Dry Sacks. Plus, the make a good compression sack - just stuff tight and then sit (kneel) on them to expell all of the air and then close the roll top. Kind of like those vacuum bags on TV. For the Ultralite you'd probably want #2 size, but that's just a guess.

chris
03-18-2005, 11:58
I've spent a bunch of nights in the Ultralight and like it alot. I use the stuff sack it came with, but line it with a small kitchen garbage bag. I've heard of people using silnylon stuff sacks, but I put the WM one on the scale and decided that the weight savings wasn't enough (like an ounce or something) for the annoyance.

shades of blue
03-18-2005, 12:56
I recently bought a wm versalite super, it does come with two stuff sacks, one large to allow it to not be compressed, but the other one seemed to have gortex in it. The inside of the stuff sack looked exactly like the inside of my gortex jacket.

DLFrost
03-21-2005, 20:40
The WM stuff sacks are urethane coated nylon. The fabric is waterproof, but the seams aren't sealed.
A good option for total waterproofness are the Outdoor Research HydroLite Dry Sacks. Plus, the make a good compression sack - just stuff tight and then sit (kneel) on them to expell all of the air and then close the roll top. Kind of like those vacuum bags on TV. For the Ultralite you'd probably want #2 size, but that's just a guess.
An OR #2 Advanced Hydroseal is just the right size for a WM Ultralite--that's what I'm using. It provides the waterproofing and compression functions of a garbage bag & compression-stuffsack combo, and almost qualifies as a dry-bag. The roll-down collar gives extra room to get the bag in, after which you can press down with one hand for the final stuffing-in. The only downside to it is the velcro hook patches on the sides, which can grab at some kinds of gear (pile mainly). Weight is 3.5 ounces.

VAMTNHIKER
03-22-2005, 08:19
I have been using Equinox sil-nylon stuff bags for my Kelty Light Year and now my Western Mountaineering Mitylite with no problems...