PDA

View Full Version : Luxury without the weight

TOMP
02-03-2012, 19:46
Since luxury on the trail is hard to come by, I was wondering if anyone has good ideas for lighweight luxury items. Anything that is under 3 oz and has provided you with a considerable amount of luxury.

An example of one I use is adding cayene pepper to my dehydrated meals before I leave because mountain house is quite bland. Another is tea bags. But Id love to hear of anymore you have (doesnt have to be food related). Hopefully there are some non-obvious ones that I can incorporate into my gear list.

JAK
02-03-2012, 19:58
I'm not sure that adding cayene pepper adds any weight, as it still has calories and stuff. The mountain house on the other hand, there are better and lighter and cheaper ways to eat. Tea on the other hand is a luxury, and a good one. Personally I prefer loose tea, but it's all good.

I like a candle lantern or small oil lamp. Also reading a good book, and simmering spiced tea or soup.

swjohnsey
02-03-2012, 20:03
My MP3 player weighs about 3 ounces.

Smooth & Wasabi
02-03-2012, 20:03
Large fabric water bag. Super light, especially luxurious when water is far from your camp. Ours holds like 2 1/2 gallons enough for all water needs evening and mornings. I have an old bpl flex air pillow at about 1/2 an ounce it is lightweight luxury.

JAK
02-03-2012, 20:08
I suppose spices might be a luxury because it might be desirable to bring nice containers, and pack a little more than you might need just for that section. So yeah, I think spices are a bit of a luxury, and a good one. I bring spices I can use with my oatmeal, my tea, and me lentil/veggie/herb soup. Usually in whole form, so I can pack them together and pick out what I like.

Cardamom, Cloves, Anise, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Nutmeg.

Amanita
02-03-2012, 20:11
I second the MP3 player. Good for nights alone or days when you're not feeling motivated.

JAK
02-03-2012, 20:12
A wool blanket is more than 3oz, but you might be able to swing it for a net weight gain of only 8oz or so by replacing some other items in summer, and being a little colder. You can do alot of cool stuff with a wool blanket. Nice alternative to a ground pad and spare clothing on a day hike.

q-tip
02-03-2012, 20:12
MP3 Player, best 3 oz. I have ever added... and fleece pillow cover 1.3 oz!!!

JAK
02-03-2012, 20:16
A can of something is a nice luxury. Like a can of beans or sardines or corned beef. Especially if you want to play with the can when you are done, like make a stove or lamp or something like that.

Tools and materials for making stuff while on the trail. Not just repairing stuff but making stuff.
What better place to do a little R&D than on the trail?

TOMP
02-04-2012, 01:46
Large fabric water bag. Super light, especially luxurious when water is far from your camp. Ours holds like 2 1/2 gallons enough for all water needs evening and mornings.

Ok i am starting to wonder so maybe you can tell me. What do people do with 2-3 gallons of water at camp. Is it for cleaning or bathing? Swimming? I dont really understand it.

TOMP
02-04-2012, 01:47
I suppose spices might be a luxury because it might be desirable to bring nice containers, and pack a little more than you might need just for that section. So yeah, I think spices are a bit of a luxury, and a good one. I bring spices I can use with my oatmeal, my tea, and me lentil/veggie/herb soup. Usually in whole form, so I can pack them together and pick out what I like.

Cardamom, Cloves, Anise, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Nutmeg.

Why not prepare on the food before you pack?

TOMP
02-04-2012, 01:48
A can of something is a nice luxury. Like a can of beans or sardines or corned beef. Especially if you want to play with the can when you are done, like make a stove or lamp or something like that.

Tools and materials for making stuff while on the trail. Not just repairing stuff but making stuff.
What better place to do a little R&D than on the trail?

Sorry sounds over 3 oz, try again.

garlic08
02-04-2012, 08:11
A few crossword puzzles or sudokus weigh almost nothing and the difficult ones can keep me diverted for days.

ocourse
02-04-2012, 08:38
A 5 liter wine bladder makes a fairly good sitting pad. Just blow a little air in there and close the spigot.

Hikes in Rain
02-04-2012, 08:41
Lexan pepper grinder. Nothing like fresh ground pepper to spice up a meal. Paperback book.

quilteresq
02-04-2012, 09:52
Definitely bathing!

Spokes
02-04-2012, 10:45
My luxury item was always a box of Rice Krispy Treats. Light and yummy.

Zigzag
02-04-2012, 11:22
Exped air pillow, 2.8 ozs w/stuff sack. Spices, I found McCormick spices in tiny pre-packs in my local supermarket. Small foam sit pad. Extra Petzl e-lite to be used for reading so I don't kill the battery on my main headlite, 1 oz. WM down booties, 3 ozs. & finally over 3 ozs. but a basic Kindle to keep my wife from getting bored.

Blissful
02-04-2012, 13:12
A z-rest seat cushion or Thermarest light seat cushion

Smooth & Wasabi
02-05-2012, 00:25
"Ok i am starting to wonder so maybe you can tell me. What do people do with 2-3 gallons of water at camp. Is it for cleaning or bathing? Swimming? I dont really understand it."

It is great for bathing away from the water source which I find nice when hiking for long periods of time. It also makes a great settling container for when we are filtering which is almost always when I am out with my wife. If we are not bathing we don't generally fill it completely. But as far as how much water 2 of us could use at camp. 1 1/3 liters for cooking and cleaning a real meal pm, 2+ liters to rehydrate pm, 1 liter for coffe and grits am, 1+ liters to hydrate am, 3+ liters to take on the trail (more if we have a long waterless stretch). That comes to over two gallons. As said this is a luxury, definately sub 3oz. I probably wouldn't take this on a shorter solo trip where I am just rehydrating food. However when my lifestyle is on the trail for long periods of time it is convenient. For a solo hiker I think you can get the same lightweight luxury and multi-use practicality by using a two water container system. A three liter soft side nalgene (the luxury item) or platy big zip and a one liter platy or recycled bottle for your water bottle. You use the 1 liter for treated water and the larger for however much more you need to get to the next source. Then if your campsite is inconveniently far from water you have the oportunity to tank up a gallon, plenty to bath or get by till the next source.