PDA

View Full Version : fanny bags and leg pouchs

Brady
02-03-2012, 20:16
i've seen some people pictured wearing either a waist/fanny pouch or a drop leg bag.. i was curious of your opinions on them.. unnecessary or good for holding valuables and other things you wouldnt wanna be left without. like things if you lost your pack, could 'survive' with.. or why else would one bring a bag like this..?

-brady

JAK
02-03-2012, 20:46
I like to have some pants or shorts pockets for occassional convenience, and hands, but nothing too cumbersome while hiking. I do like a front pack, and I'm surprised they haven't caught on more than they have. In winter I wear a pullover fleece over my wool sweater and I really like the full pouch and use it alot. I wish it had a hood though. I would like to see more full pouches and hoods in good quality fleece and wool tops. You can fit alot in a pouch, and its good to be able to warm your hands together rather than separately. Also, it is handy to be able to reach in with either hand to get what you want.

Now here is a subject for a heated debate...
Should side zippers of pockets and pouches zip up to open, or down to open? lol

JAK
02-03-2012, 20:47
Suspenders are a good thing to have for pants and shorts even if you don't carry stuff in the pockets.

fiddlehead
02-03-2012, 20:56
I like the old fanny pouch.
I put my water bottle in there and my camera and GPS.
These are the things I need most and I don't like having to take my pack off while walking.
Maybe a snack too.

I don't have a hip belt on my pack so, it fits nicely.

strollingalong
02-03-2012, 21:52
i mean fanny? no matter how much I say American English wins in simplicity and common sense, fanny will always mean vagina for me

Blissful
02-03-2012, 21:53
I loved my wasit bag whe I needed it (it was by Marmot). But now that I ahve my ULA pack, their waistbelt pockets are fine for my uses.

Skid.
02-03-2012, 22:29
Met a thru hiker last year who wore a fanny pack in front, kept his camera, water bottle, gorp, etc there for easy access. He also said it helped with balance from front to back. However, he did not use hiking poles, which I think a fanny pack worn in the front might interfere with.

CrumbSnatcher
02-03-2012, 23:29
dana designs wetrib is what i prefer :-)

Sailing_Faith
02-03-2012, 23:58
I have a modified camera bag. It is about 4" x 6"... I have walked about 150 miles a month with it since August and have moved it across 3 packs now and am still pleased with it.

Feral Bill
02-04-2012, 00:03
i mean fanny? no matter how much I say American English wins in simplicity and common sense, fanny will always mean vagina for me So, what is your native country?

Northern Lights
02-04-2012, 12:10
I like mine for carrying my snacks, camera, map and two bottles of water. Keeps it close at hand and I don't have to dig through my pack for my lunch.

Megapixel
02-04-2012, 12:19
dana designs wetrib is what i prefer :-)

BIG X2 on this. my wetrib allows me access to maps, snacks, dslr + camera lenses, and a water bottle. i love how it rides and how it attaches to my pack. i have yet to hike with it in 80-90 degree heat, i would imagine then it might be an issue with being near my body. I'll find out in 2012.

Tinker
02-04-2012, 12:25
I wore a waist pouch on one trip, but found that my built-in waist pouch got in the way too much. :o I wear a large fanny (sorry Mexico) pouch often while doing day hikes. It's a Cyclesmith (by Mountainsmith) pack that I've had since the early 1990s and it's pretty bombproof (though a bit heavy). It holds about 2200 cu.in. - enough for a summer down bag and torso pad as well as water, snacks, and a windbreaker. I carry that stuff on solo winter dayhikes as survival gear along with the usual fire starting, first aid, and headlamp - just in case.

Nutbrown
02-04-2012, 17:52
My Aunt married an Englishman. The first time she met his family, she told them how she slipped on the stairs and fell right on her fanny! They had never heard a vagina be called a fanny before. On a similar note, when instructing a Scottsman to finish his beer, I told him to 'chug it'. Has a very different meaning in Scotland!

strollingalong
02-04-2012, 23:33
what does chug it mean in scotland. never he heard that before. though google says its a racist term for native americans

strollingalong
02-04-2012, 23:34
I assume it means to shag someone from behind?

jlo
02-05-2012, 00:20
I don't carry a "bum bag", but I definitly like shorts with deep pockets for whatever you might need, like snacks on the go or my camera. And the belt of my pack has pockets that I used all the time too. It's great to have the extra pockets, but to carry another bag while backpacking is silly to me.

Big head
02-05-2012, 11:11
In UK it's called a bum bag (our bum = your fanny). UK Fanny = ladies bits.

"Spunk' has an even more different meaning in English English to US English, not a good topic over breakfast.

CrumbSnatcher
02-05-2012, 11:44
BIG X2 on this. my wetrib allows me access to maps, snacks, dslr + camera lenses, and a water bottle. i love how it rides and how it attaches to my pack. i have yet to hike with it in 80-90 degree heat, i would imagine then it might be an issue with being near my body. I'll find out in 2012.i have used a wetrib on 2 of my thruhikes,in all sorts of weather. to tell you the truth, i usually hiked with the wetrib not fastened across my body, i would let it dangle on the side. if that makes any sense, and it would not swing out of control. i have bought two more wetribs recently on e-bay, so i won't wear them all out :-) have a great hike

daddytwosticks
02-05-2012, 12:20
Ha Ha Ha...Tinker's got a BIG fanny (2200 cu.in.)! :)

MaybeTomorrow
02-05-2012, 13:05
Now here is a subject for a heated debate...
Should side zippers of pockets and pouches zip up to open, or down to open? lol

How could you Zip Up tight if you zippers unzipped down! OMG, the insanity! :p