PDA

View Full Version : Is a phone really necessary?

thepokerkid227
02-03-2012, 23:20
In this day and age everyone is attached at the hip with their phones, including me I am the worst. It seems like these days ALOT of people take their cell phones on a thru hike, is it becoming more of a must have instead of a luxury? Wanted to see everyone elses opinions, I personally am not bringing mine and don't feel the need to. I am putting my contract on hold for the time I will be hiking it's just an expense there is no need for along the way.

Panzer1
02-03-2012, 23:24
no, it isn't necessary, but its nice to have.

Panzer

Storm
02-04-2012, 00:11
I am going to carry one to let the worriers at home know my whereabouts every few days. Better than carrying a spot in my opinion. Plan to have it turned off 99 percent of the time.

Rayo
02-04-2012, 00:36
I am going to carry one to let the worriers at home know my whereabouts every few days. Better than carrying a spot in my opinion. Plan to have it turned off 99 percent of the time.

Yep. Plus when I do need to send an email, I can do so without the temptation of surfing the web (Facebook) on the little screen.

ALLEGHENY
02-04-2012, 00:46
Is it more gear- more fear? No! Not for me. I live in the 21 century and need to handle financial matters like paying bills via online banking. Keeping up to date on the weather and all sorts of information. And maybe have pizza and beer delivered to a trail head. And I don' t want to miss that call from Hollywood.

Miner
02-04-2012, 01:27
You don't need a phone, but its nice to have occasionally. On the PCT, I mainly used mine to keep in touch with other hikers, especially in town. It was nice to let friends and family know that a bear hadn't eaten me every so often (though an email in town would have been enough for that). I also used mine to update my online journal while on the trail.

TOMP
02-04-2012, 01:33
Im bringing it, and its not for internet or anything fancy. Its just a good way to let those who care about you know you are ok. I dont even carry it for me its for them. I know the trail is a safe place to be but its hard to convince your mom, or whomever, that has never hiked before of that.

Although, I would also be kinda pissed if I got to a campsite and it felt like an internet cafe. Paying bills is a smart idea too as mentioned above. Also what if something happens at home that you need to be aware of good or bad. I wouldnt want to miss a family wedding or on the other hand jury duty.

Lone Wolf
02-04-2012, 01:39
In this day and age everyone is attached at the hip with their phones, including me I am the worst. It seems like these days ALOT of people take their cell phones on a thru hike, is it becoming more of a must have instead of a luxury? Wanted to see everyone elses opinions, I personally am not bringing mine and don't feel the need to. I am putting my contract on hold for the time I will be hiking it's just an expense there is no need for along the way.a phone isn't necessary. i don't own one. you'll be fine without it

seasparrow
02-04-2012, 01:49
I also talked to Verizon about putting my phone contract on hold they said i could do two 3 month holds just have to call em after 3 months(with out payment). Rep asked me why i told her Hiking AT ,she said she has heard of that...before.Although my support team ie mom said i could not leave with out it,so i will be taking it.) Wish my phone had a better camera,thats another big why? to take it for most people.

bflorac
02-04-2012, 02:52
For my section hikes I take one. She worries that I might be lying injured along the trial. So, I turn it on once per day to text that I'm still alive. Texting uses less batteries and works better if there is little coverage. I also turn off all other features (GPS, wifi...). I can get up to 2 weeks on a charge if that is all I do.

birdygal
02-05-2012, 13:47
Do they even have pay phones any more I have not seen one in a long time. I don't normally use a cell phone but plan on taking one on my thru hike just so I will be able to call home every week.

Wise Old Owl
02-05-2012, 13:49
Pay phones have all but dissappeard except in Damascus - ask LW

Kerosene
02-05-2012, 14:03
I still view a cell phone as a luxury, not a necessity. While I hate to lug another 5 ounces, I have ended up taking one on each of my weeklong hikes the past 5 years, mainly so I can check in at work. It has also proven useful to check in with my shuttle and my wife does appreciate infrequent texts to let her know how I'm doing. While I share my itinerary with several people, I never commit to checking in on a set schedule as cell coverage can be quite spotty. The dearth of pay phones is starting to be noticeable, however.

Tuckahoe
02-05-2012, 14:59
Only you can really determine for yourself what you really need or want.

Spokes
02-05-2012, 15:14
Phone necessary? No.

Heck, a pack or a tent isn't necessary either. Grandma Gatewood hiked the trail multiple times carrying a homemade bag slung over one shoulder and a plastic shower curtain.

garlic08
02-05-2012, 19:15
One of my greatest pleasures when I go on a hike is getting away from the phone.

swjohnsey
02-05-2012, 19:17
How do you order pizza?

stranger
02-05-2012, 19:29
In this day and age everyone is attached at the hip with their phones, including me I am the worst. It seems like these days ALOT of people take their cell phones on a thru hike, is it becoming more of a must have instead of a luxury? Wanted to see everyone elses opinions, I personally am not bringing mine and don't feel the need to. I am putting my contract on hold for the time I will be hiking it's just an expense there is no need for along the way.

Of course not...it does however make life fairly easy while in town though.

max patch
02-05-2012, 20:02
Absolutely.

I was lucky enough to attend a panel discussion years ago that included Earl Shaffer, Grandma Gatewood, Gene Espy, and Ed Garvey and they all agreed that they could not completed their thru hikes without their cell phones. Thats good enough for me.

slims
02-05-2012, 20:29
I don't want to take one but my mother is pretty much making me carry one for her peace of mind and so she can keep in touch.

Mags
02-06-2012, 10:33
I don't want to take one but my mother is pretty much making me carry one for her peace of mind and so she can keep in touch.

I am very glad cell phones were not as ubiquitous when I was 24 (Year I did the AT). :)

Would a phone call every 3-5 days be enough to make her feel better? Tell Mom also that while cell phone coverage is decent along the AT, there will be times when you may not get a signal. Sometimes a daily phone call may be difficult.

Sandy of PA
02-06-2012, 12:29
I use a cell phone to call for shuttles,(I do not hitch-hike), make room reservations, and let my husband know I am still alive. It is off when I am not actually using it. It is a safety device in my book.

slims
02-06-2012, 13:35
I am very glad cell phones were not as ubiquitous when I was 24 (Year I did the AT). :)

Would a phone call every 3-5 days be enough to make her feel better? Tell Mom also that while cell phone coverage is decent along the AT, there will be times when you may not get a signal. Sometimes a daily phone call may be difficult.
Yeah that's the plan, a quick call or email/text once a week when I'm in a town.

Tinker
02-06-2012, 13:42

I have the same answer as last time - not necessary - qualified with a big BUT.............. If you have the cell phone when some macho old timer (who refuses to carry a phone because of his phobia of what "lesser" outdoor folks would say or think) breaks an ankle in a snowstorm (or whatever scenario floats your boat), and your phone facilitates rescue and recovery, both he and you will be able to sleep better that night.

Just sayin' (as some of you younger folks like to say ;)) :).

Edit - P.S. - Turn your phone off at shelters and hostels at night and let other people sleep. This would be a good time to state what a good "night light" a cell phone makes while trying to exit a shelter in the middle of the night without stepping on someone.

Pathfinder1
02-06-2012, 14:25
Hi...

When the emergency isn't happening to the other guy...it's happening to you...!!

I rarely use mine, although it's with me at all times...it's my "spare tire", so to speak.

It appears that you have these choices:

No phone.

Take phone with you.

Take a "throw-away" phone with you. An el-cheapo that you load up before your trek.

Blissful
02-06-2012, 14:45
Good luck finding phone booths anymore these days if you dont carry one.

They are good for emergency, keeping in touch with concerned family (if there are any), calling for a shuttle and making reservations. Also if you do maildrops, for things you need or to bounce a box. Other than that leave it off

bamboo bob
02-06-2012, 15:31
Phone necessary? No.

Heck, a pack or a tent isn't necessary either. Grandma Gatewood hiked the trail multiple times carrying a homemade bag slung over one shoulder and a plastic shower curtain.

All those old timers hiked a very different trail then we do. A lot of country road walking and staying in farmers barns. Earl Schaffer said "they ruined it" when he did his 50th anniversary hike by putting the AT on the ridges, etc. I've slept in a few barns from time to time but this is a new era that requires new equipment. I met a guy on the PCT using 19th century gear to prove some point. I forget what his point was but he had a mule to cary a gear so he didn't care much about weight. I didn't ask the mule.

Slo-go'en
02-06-2012, 15:51
The way some people are always using thier phone for one thing or another, it makes me wonder how everyone got on before without one, which wasn't all that long ago. My only phone now is a cheap Tracfone, just because I need to have a phone number. It's so small and light, it only makes sense to carry it on a long trip, just in case. It's not like I got to choose between having the phone or something else which would be used more often.

Papa D
02-06-2012, 16:14
Towns, gas stations, hostels and other people have phones if you really need one - I (obviously thru-hiked sans-phone) - totally a crutch for most - if you are young without a wife / husband or kids to check in on, I'd say skip the phone. I carry one these days but it is powered OFF and I tell people that I will not receive (or make calls) unless it is an emergency. On occasion, I have powered it up to see if a room in a hostel is available but this isn't totally necessary - when I get to a town or a hostel - usually 1x week on most of my 2-3 week hikes, I'll power up and check in.

sam4msu
02-12-2012, 10:35
a phone isn't necessary. i don't own one. you'll be fine without it

A cell phone would be useless for you since there is ZERO service in Damascus!!! I carry mine, it makes my wife feel better and that makes it worth it for me.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2012, 10:38
A cell phone would be useless for you since there is ZERO service in Damascus!!! I carry mine, it makes my wife feel better and that makes it worth it for me.

wrong. everyone i know has service. i still don't want or need one

Hooch
02-12-2012, 10:42
. . . .there is ZERO service in Damascus. . . . I have service everytime I'm in D-Town without a problem. Cell phones on the trail are like any other piece of gear: They're great for some, not for others.

heavyfoot
02-12-2012, 10:49
One of my greatest pleasures when I go on a hike is getting away from the phone.

Amen to that. You don't need a phone. I thru'd without one.

wornoutboots
02-12-2012, 11:11
No it isn't necessary but nice to have in case of emergency.

Spokes
02-12-2012, 11:12
It's sorta like the cavemen. One figures out how to use fire. The other caveman sees the fire, gets jealous, and wants to have some too.

Nowadays same thing happening- Clothing made out of cool max (not cotton), alchy stove (not white gas stove), lightweight packs (not wood frame), smartphones (not pay phone)...... Are you sensing a pattern here?

Hooch
02-12-2012, 11:24
It's sorta like the cavemen. One figures out how to use fire. The other caveman sees the fire, gets jealous, and wants to have some too.

Nowadays same thing happening- Clothing made out of cool max (not cotton), alchy stove (not white gas stove), lightweight packs (not wood frame), smartphones (not pay phone)...... Are you sensing a pattern here?Yes, a clear pattern is established. Cavemen love coolmax, alcohol stoves, lightweight packs and smartphones.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2012, 11:26
Yes, a clear pattern is established. Cavemen love coolmax, alcohol stoves, lightweight packs and smartphones.

i own none of that crap. i must be pre-caveman

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 11:32
Hi...

When the emergency isn't happening to the other guy...it's happening to you...!!

I rarely use mine, although it's with me at all times...it's my "spare tire", so to speak.

It appears that you have these choices:

No phone.

Take phone with you.

Take a "throw-away" phone with you. An el-cheapo that you load up before your trek.

Pathfinders last choice - a throw away is not an option..... the disposable no contract phone is a bearly working phone... since the invention of the transistor manufactures would take diagrams of a radio and put in the least amount of parts to make something work hense the eight transistor radio vs the ten transistor AM radio, to make my point. They both work and one sucks! This practice is still on today and I have seen it first hand. Many times I had to ask a person I would call back and hang up the disposable and call them back on the $$ phone... You get what you pay for... and you know it.

Spokes
02-12-2012, 11:36
Yes, a clear pattern is established. Cavemen love coolmax, alcohol stoves, lightweight packs and smartphones.

lmfao.....!

10-K
02-12-2012, 11:40
Depends on your lifestyle. I've got a wife, kids, and a business so I either carry a phone or I don't hike. It's pretty much always on during business hours so I can be reached and I turn it off at night.

I think in 5 years of hiking I've gotten maybe a dozen calls from work so it's not like my phone is ringing constantly but I do need to be available. Generally I hike alone so there's no problem.

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 12:04

Please avoid excessive grunting.... They have a rule about that at Wimbledon......(LMAO)

Oh here is another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pklQ93hKkN8

Juice
02-12-2012, 12:05
AT&T is putting my contract on hold and a friend gave me an AT&T go-phone. Same service and it's pre paid with no $70-80 a month bill. Other than an emergency or an in town call, that sucker will be off.

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 13:01
Juice did you see the above post? - I just tossed go phones under the bus and it ran over it..... their ability to make a clear call outside of a city sucks....

Juice
02-12-2012, 14:14
Juice did you see the above post? - I just tossed go phones under the bus and it ran over it..... their ability to make a clear call outside of a city sucks....

For some reason I thought you were referring to the "Tracphone" brand, but I guess not. I suppose when it comes down to it, I'd rather not pay $80 a month for a smartphone while I'm on the trail. That's my current rate with a discount! I have also been in situations where I've needed to call for emergency service for someone. A friend once had a heart attack on Sacagawea Peak outside of Bozeman and had to be airlifted out. So mainly my personal decision finds me slightly torn between paying $500 for a rarely used service on the trail and as a possible emergency tool. I suppose I'll try it and take the $20 loss if this particular phone doesn't work well.

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 14:46
I was referring to all those phones... trying to keep an open mind here and I understand the $80 bucks - Verizon has to have a cheaper plan... but hey while you have them side by side and while the other phone is still charged identify the signal meter and check out the difference on the reception in different places - you don't have to take my word for it.... you should be able to see a difference after checking it out in the woods (with leaves) at different locations.

blackbird04217
02-12-2012, 15:07
Tracfone worked great for me in 2009 had enough service most of the time to send an "I'm okay" text to stop my family from worrying. I actually confess to still using it in daily life because I don't use it enough to make it worth getting a phone with any sort of plan.

No, a phone is not necessary. But it can be nice to have.

WingedMonkey
02-12-2012, 15:17
My Trafone is only used for "just in case". It works when I need it to.

Bearpaw
02-12-2012, 18:26
A phone wasn't necessary for me when I thru-hiked 13 years ago. I've re-hiked most of the first 500 miles since and found that when I take my AT & T phone, it's just extra weight as I rarely have a signal, even in many towns (i. e. Damascus, Hot Springs, etc.).

Do yourself a favor. Take maps. When all the other hikers beg to look at your map, ask them to return the favor by using their phones. If they can get a signal.

Tenderheart
02-13-2012, 12:47
a phone isn't necessary. i don't own one. you'll be fine without it

I certainly agree!!!

Toproveapoint
02-19-2012, 18:00
My parents think i'm taking mine. That'll be fun when they find that note saying to suck it up. good thing I'll be in GA!

slims
02-20-2012, 00:18
A little callous don't you think?

Miner
02-20-2012, 00:26
If you want homemade brownies in a care package while on the trail, I'd reconsider.

KnotHere
02-20-2012, 15:49
I have an iPhone that I take with me on section hikes. It is off 99% of the time but it is useful to check in with loved ones, check weather, play some music around the fire and so forth. I can't completely disconnect from the world no matter how hard I try.

jbwood5
02-20-2012, 16:06
Before cell phones and coverage along the trail, I had one of those 800 credit cards I used to let the family know where I was at. A typical call from a pay phone went like.. "Hey, its me, I'm at ...... , everything is fine, talk to you in a few days. Love you. Bye"

Now, I have to carry a phone (dam technology :) ). I only turn it on when I'm reporting in. I hate to hear people yaking on a phone while I'm on the trail.

DavidNH
02-20-2012, 16:06
a cell phone is NOT necessary to hike the AT. I don't care what anyone says, it isn't necessary.
The kids these days (and by kids I mean recent college grads or younger) are completely addicted to these things. Can't disconnect for a couple hours never mind six months. Why not blaze new ground. Leave the phone home for a month or two. See if you like your hike more or less with out it.

davidnh

Miner
02-20-2012, 19:22
I don't give my cell # out to just anyone and thus don't use it a lot. I even resist giving it out at work. It’s there for my convenience not the convenience of others. I much prefer talking to people in person, so maybe I'm just a throwback despite being an engineer who designs communication products.

So when I go out into the woods, I'm not looking to disconnect from the world because I never found myself as being overly connected to it in the first place (I've never cared to embrace my inner twitt or wonder about my facebook). So having a cell phone along doesn't seem threatening to me since I'm not trying to escape from it nor does it feel like it’s a chain connecting me to home or work. So while I don't have an obligation to use it for anything, I still carry a smartphone because it offers me some convenience to do some things that I want to do. You don't need a phone, but there may be times when it would make things easier for you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you feel like you need to escape from being electronically too connected, you need to make some lifestyle changes, because a temporary fast from it, isn't going to solve the problem when you get home.

Wombat Farm
02-20-2012, 19:25
good on you pokerkid! I'd really have to think about it too since you'd have to bring a charger too. :banana

Wise Old Owl
02-20-2012, 20:47
As much as I like the idea - it won't work in Maine I looked.....

ScottP
02-20-2012, 21:38
not necessary.

Kookork
02-20-2012, 21:53
Im bringing it, and its not for internet or anything fancy. Its just a good way to let those who care about you know you are ok. I dont even carry it for me its for them. I know the trail is a safe place to be but its hard to convince your mom, or whomever, that has never hiked before of that.

Although, I would also be kinda pissed if I got to a campsite and it felt like an internet cafe. Paying bills is a smart idea too as mentioned above. Also what if something happens at home that you need to be aware of good or bad. I wouldnt want to miss a family wedding or on the other hand jury duty.

Tell your parents they have done a great job rising you,and I mean it. My parents were controlling and their bad luck I was type of child that does what he does and then is happy to be punished severely for doing it.

Even me as an outlaw nowadays carry a cellphone just because my brother might be worried about me and he has every right to know I am safe and sound. So for the sake of close relatives it is a good idea to carry one.

Kookork
02-20-2012, 22:01
I still view a cell phone as a luxury, not a necessity. While I hate to lug another 5 ounces, I have ended up taking one on each of my weeklong hikes the past 5 years, mainly so I can check in at work. It has also proven useful to check in with my shuttle and my wife does appreciate infrequent texts to let her know how I'm doing. While I share my itinerary with several people, I never commit to checking in on a set schedule as cell coverage can be quite spotty. The dearth of pay phones is starting to be noticeable, however.

You view your cellphones as luxury but use it like a necessity IMHO No offence at all.

Kookork
02-20-2012, 22:05

I Love when I need to look at a dictionary for a word and find out about a beautiful word that I did not know about it before. Thank You

Kookork
02-20-2012, 22:12
I have the same answer as last time - not necessary - qualified with a big BUT.............. If you have the cell phone when some macho old timer (who refuses to carry a phone because of his phobia of what "lesser" outdoor folks would say or think) breaks an ankle in a snowstorm (or whatever scenario floats your boat), and your phone facilitates rescue and recovery, both he and you will be able to sleep better that night.

Just sayin' (as some of you younger folks like to say ;)) :).

Edit - P.S. - Turn your phone off at shelters and hostels at night and let other people sleep. This would be a good time to state what a good "night light" a cell phone makes while trying to exit a shelter in the middle of the night without stepping on someone.

That big BUT is too big to ignore .HYOH but let the folks know that you are OK,,,:),,,,.