PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Gear List (& 1st Thru-Hike)

Rayo
02-04-2012, 00:08
Hey everyone. For reference, I'm 6'3 and 180lbs. I'm Nobo and starting in Mid/Late March. I want to optimize weight, but I'm not sure what to shave or have mailed to me. In other words, are there things on my list that I don't need to bring right away and can have mailed to me (before the Smokies for instance)? My goal weight is 30 lbs.

And, what else would you change? I put "***" next to items that I have yet to purchase so the flexibility is there. (I didn't factor in weight of a trash compactor bag for a bag liner, because I haven't purchase it yet, so feel free to fill me in on weight. Other than that, I have the ULA Circuit picked out along with a +15 Marmot Sleeping bag.) THANKS FOR HELP! :D

Pack Base Weight

2L Water

Total Weight w/o food

PERSON

Item
lbs.
Notes

***Shoes

????

Socks

Darn Tough

SS Shirt

Patagonia Merino Wool SS

Baselayer Top

Under Armour LS

Baselayer Bottom

Columbia Long Underwear

Pants

REI Endeavor Pants

Boxers

Polyester Boxers

Glasses

Glasses

Trekking Poles

Bandana

GEAR

Item
lbs.
Notes

Tent + Tyvek Footprint
Hubba 1P

***Sleeping Bag
Marmot +15

***Backpack
ULA Circuit

Pad
NeoAir All Season

Cold Weather Jacket
Gnar Down Hoody

Rain Jacket
Patagonia Rain Parka

Rain Pants
Rain paints

SS Shirt
Nike Dryfit SS

LS Shirt (TAKE????)
Orange/Blue LS Shirt

Pants
Pant-Short combo

Gloves
Glove Liners

Winter Hat
Fleece Hat

Socks 2x
DarnTough+Smart Wool

20L Stuff Sack 2x
Nylon Stuff Sack 2x

Bag Liner

Trash Compactor Bag

Total

COOKING/WATER

Item
lbs.
Notes

Spork
TI Spork

Pot
.8L TI Pot

Fuel
4 oz. Fuel Canister

Stove/Windscreen
Snowpeak Giga + Giga Windscreen

***Food Bag

????

Paracord 50ft.
Neon Green 50ft.

1L Water Bottle 2x
SmartWater Bottle 2x

Water Treatment
Aquamira Drops

Bladder 1L (TAKE????)

Total

MISC.

Item
lbs.
Notes

Razor, Duct tape, 2 Bics
(10ft. Duct tape)

Headlamp
Headlamp (w/ red light)

Shamwow

Camera

Cell+Charger+Sleeve

Glasses Case

Toothbrush, paste, floss

TP+Wet Wipes

Leatherman (TAKE????)

Thru-Hikers' Guide (CUT?)

Hacky Sack (Luxury item)

Journal+Pen (CUT?)

Total

FIRST AID

Item
lbs.

Tincture of Benzoin

Moleskin

Bandaids

Hydrocortizone Cream

Antiobiotic Cream

Benadryl Tablets

Ibuprofen

Ace Bandage

Total Kit Weight

TOMP
02-04-2012, 01:20
Here are a few things I would drop.

-Leatherman 8 oz is too many for what you need get a leatherman micro or just use a knife that is under an oz.
-You have too many shirt drop a few
-Drop the towel, shamwow, you have clothes and a bandanna to use to wipe condensation or dry yourself or whatever else you would use that towel for. Its light so its tempting but it doesnt make it any less useless.
-Swap inflatable pad for foam unless you really cant do without.
-Your sleeping bag seems heavy try to get a down if you have the money its worth it (recently bought a thermarest 20 bag (22 oz).
-Swap bics for a non-disposable lighter ("windproof" and more reliable at cold temps plus I cant remember seeing a camp site without a few garbage bics lying around)
-Swap baking soda for toothpaste (can also use it as wound cleanser)
-Swap paracord for spectra rope (.9 oz for 50ft)

I would be weary of cutting the guide book just because your drops might not work out but it seems like alot of ppl do it. I wouldnt cut the journal thats a keepsake Id want it in good condition. Also add spare batteries and a nail clipper. I would buy the shoes soon and break them in if you havent already.

Thats all I could think of for now. Good luck and see you on the trail.

Rayo
02-04-2012, 01:34
Here are a few things I would drop. -Leatherman 8 oz is too many for what you need get a leatherman micro or just use a knife that is under an oz. -You have too many shirt drop a few-Drop the towel, shamwow, you have clothes and a bandanna to use to wipe condensation or dry yourself or whatever else you would use that towel for. Its light so its tempting but it doesnt make it any less useless.-Swap inflatable pad for foam unless you really cant do without.-Your sleeping bag seems heavy try to get a down if you have the money its worth it (recently bought a thermarest 20 bag (22 oz).-Swap bics for a non-disposable lighter ("windproof" and more reliable at cold temps plus I cant remember seeing a camp site without a few garbage bics lying around)-Swap baking soda for toothpaste (can also use it as wound cleanser)-Swap paracord for spectra rope (.9 oz for 50ft)I would be weary of cutting the guide book just because your drops might not work out but it seems like alot of ppl do it. I wouldnt cut the journal thats a keepsake Id want it in good condition. Also add spare batteries and a nail clipper. I would buy the shoes soon and break them in if you havent already.Thats all I could think of for now. Good luck and see you on the trail. I do have nail clippers factured in (forgot to list)Baking soda is a good callPad is a mustShirt: will lose oneLeatherman: will loseShamwow: 1oz as u said... May keepbag: thermarest may be answerJournal/guide: I agree with uWhen u starting Tomp?

Rayo
02-04-2012, 01:35
Uuugh. Sorry about format of previous post. Smartphones and WB don't mix too well.

TOMP
02-04-2012, 01:40
I do have nail clippers factured in (forgot to list)Baking soda is a good callPad is a mustShirt: will lose oneLeatherman: will loseShamwow: 1oz as u said... May keepbag: thermarest may be answerJournal/guide: I agree with uWhen u starting Tomp?

I am starting on March 12th. I arrive via amtrak at 7AM. Dont fall into that its only an ounce logic they tend to add up. I lost over 15 oz by making pack modifications like cutting excess straps, swapping out for a lighter hip belt and removing pockets I dont use (it was a heavy pack at the start now its the lightest 85L ive ever seen).

Rayo
02-04-2012, 02:01
March 12 could work for me, I'll consider it! I hear ya on the oz. talk. What's your total weight? If you have a gear list, id like to see it too. I'm going to look over my year again and see what I can mod. Thanks

bflorac
02-04-2012, 02:08
As a fellow elder hiker:
1) Keep neoair, it is wonderful. I don't have the all season version but the complaint I have about the original is that is not wide enough. 4" more would be great! I'm thinking about getting a custom airmat made from Kooka Bay this year.

2) Take foam pillow (I use a thermorest). I have been section hiking for 4 years and last year I broke down an brought one of these. I slept like a baby. Perhaps because I like to sleep in shelters (hard floors) or because I just don't like sleeping on my stinky clothes..

3) If you plan on using the paracord for a bear bag, you may find the spectra rope mention above a bit thin (cuts in tree) unless you get the plus version (1/8" dia) but then it may not save any weight.

4) I agree with TOMP on nail clippers. I also toss chap stick, small tweezers and ear plugs in.

5) Darn tough socks: good choice.

6) As for bag liner, I don't use one (but my pack is perhaps more watertight). I keep everything in water resistant ditty bags or heavy duty baggies. Except sleeping bag which I wrap in a kitchen garbage bag. I toss in a extra trash bag as a spare. Food is kept (and hung) in a Granite Gear bag.

7) if you glass case is really 0.24 lbs, find something lighter.

8) I like my bladder. I filter pump water and have the mouth piece detach so I can directly attache my pump. This way I can fill it with out taking it out of the pack.

9) If you take Ibuprofen often, take a good amount as I found it hard to find along the way. I also found that, at least for me Aleve works better than Advil for joint pain.

10) With your TP+Wet Wipes you might toss in a small packet of vaseline to help with chaffing.

11) I take maps. Not because I might get lost but in case I need to get off the trail in a emergency.

12) Rather than "Antiobiotic Cream" take Neosporin because you can get it in small packets (and it works better)

TOMP
02-04-2012, 03:11
March 12 could work for me, I'll consider it! I hear ya on the oz. talk. What's your total weight? If you have a gear list, id like to see it too. I'm going to look over my year again and see what I can mod. Thanks

Here's my list, not the lightest but I have everything I want and at a weight I am happy with.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5712

Rayo
02-04-2012, 09:44
As a fellow elder hiker: 3) If you plan on using the paracord for a bear bag, you may find the spectra rope mention above a bit thin (cuts in tree) unless you get the plus version (1/8" dia) but then it may not save any weight.

4) I agree with TOMP on nail clippers. I also toss chap stick, small tweezers and ear plugs in.

I have a chap stick that doubles as a vaseline dispenser. I will search out a lighter glasses case, you're spot on. Neosporin was a good call, and I'm not planning on the spectra rope as it's only a .4 oz. difference and I'd prefer not to cut into the trees. Small tweezers, and ear plugs: check and check.

Spokes
02-04-2012, 10:48
Ditch the paracord. That's for car camping. 40 ft of 2mm cord will do. Use 10 ft. section a clothes drying line. Substitute a Victorinox Classic for the Leatherman.

Rayo
02-04-2012, 11:08
Ditch the paracord. That's for car camping. 40 ft of 2mm cord will do. Use 10 ft. section a clothes drying line. Substitute a Victorinox Classic for the Leatherman.

I'll plan on getting a smaller knife. Forgive my ignorance, what's so bad about the paracord, is it weight or what? (Just so I understand my decision to ditch it.) Thanks.

grok120
02-04-2012, 12:00
any thoughts Hyperlite cuben fiber back pack

Rayo
02-04-2012, 22:19
any thoughts Hyperlite cuben fiber back pack

No, I haven't considered it. I'm pretty confident with the Circuit though.

swjohnsey
02-04-2012, 22:24
I'll plan on getting a smaller knife. Forgive my ignorance, what's so bad about the paracord, is it weight or what? (Just so I understand my decision to ditch it.) Thanks.

Paracord, also known as 550 cord because has 550 lbs of tensile strenth, is overkill for the trail. too heavy, too bulky, too expensive. Get something like a Gerber LST for a knife. If you must have scissors go with the micro letherman.

Rayo
02-04-2012, 22:55
Paracord, also known as 550 cord because has 550 lbs of tensile strenth, is overkill for the trail. too heavy, too bulky, too expensive. Get something like a Gerber LST for a knife. If you must have scissors go with the micro letherman.

Thanks for info on paracord, will steer clear. I went with the Leatherman Squirt because I really wanted pliers/scissors and the weight is 1.9 vs. the micra 1.7

Rayo
02-04-2012, 22:58
At this point, I still have to pick up shoes and a sleeping bag and pack.

Shoes: I'm thinking some Salomon trail runners that aren't gtx.
Bag: I'm thinking a Thermarest Haven 20 to go with my Neoair All Season pad.
Pack: I'm thinking a Circuit will work well for my setup.

Okay, let'r rip.

Wolfie2nd
02-08-2012, 07:37
That's a pretty solid first gear list.. you can for sure shave on your sleeping bag use a quilt my 0° quilt weighs 31oz and also tarptent sublite will save you some weight as well.. All in all solid list!

Rayo
02-09-2012, 00:50
Here's my updated list:
(w/o food and water)

Pack Base Weight

PERSON

Item
lbs.
Notes

Shoes

Salomon XA 3D Pro

Socks

Darn Tough

SS Shirt

Patagonia Merino Wool SS

Baselayer Top

Under Armour LS

Baselayer Bottom

Columbia Long Underwear

Pants

Prana Pant/Short

Boxers

Polyester Boxers

Glasses

Glasses

Trekking Poles

Bandana

Total

GEAR

Item
lbs.
Notes

Tent + Tyvek Footprint
Hubba 1P

Sleeping Bag
WM Ultralite 20

Backpack
ULA Catalyst

Pad
Neo Air All Season

Cold Weather Jacket
Gnar Down Hoody

Rain Jacket
Patagonia Rain Parka

Rain Pants
Rain paints

SS Shirt
Nike Dryfit SS

Pants
REI Endeavor Pants

Gloves
Glove Liners

Winter Hat
Fleece Hat

Socks 2x
SmartW+Darn Tough

20L Stuff Sack
Nylon Stuff Sack

15L Stuff Sack
Nylon Stuff Sack

Bag Liner
Trash Compactor Bag

Total

COOKING/WATER

Item
lbs.
Notes

Spork
TI Spork

Pot
900ml Snowpeak

Fuel
4 oz. Fuel Canister

Stove/Windscreen
Snowpeak Giga + Giga Windscreen

Food Bag
Outdoor Research Zip Sack 15L

Paracord 50ft.
Neon Green 50ft.

1L Water Bottle 2x
Smart Water Bottles

Water Treatment
Aquamira Drops

Bladder 2L

Total

MISC.

Item
lbs.
Notes

Razor Blade, Duct Tape, 2 Bics
- 10ft. Duct tape

Headlamp
Headlamp w/red light

Shamwow

Camera

Cell+Charger+Neoprene Sleeve

Glasses Case

Toothbrush, paste, floss

TP+Wet Wipes

Leatherman Squirt

Thru-Hikers' Guide

Hacky Sack

Journal+Pen

Total

FIRST AID

Item
lbs.

Tincture of Benzoin

Moleskin

Bandaids

Hydrocortizone Cream

Neosporin Cream

Benadryl Tablets

Ibuprofen

Ace Bandage

Total Kit Weight

Rayo
02-09-2012, 00:51
That's a pretty solid first gear list.. you can for sure shave on your sleeping bag use a quilt my 0° quilt weighs 31oz and also tarptent sublite will save you some weight as well.. All in all solid list!

thanks, it took a while!