PDA

View Full Version : Ever Cried On The Trail ?

BlackJack1
02-04-2012, 05:19
I know hikers don't cry but I almost did when I was solo on the A.T. in the winter and I got lost right before sunset with no water. I went 19 hours no food or water. I had food but no water to cook with. I found the trail the next day luckily. What about you?

BlackJack1
02-04-2012, 05:49
Video of me almost crying. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL259B501DC0BA3D11&feature=mh_lolz

BlackJack1
02-04-2012, 05:52
Part 13 though 15 is when I am lost.

Big Dawg
02-04-2012, 06:35
I cried one time when I saw a double rainbow,, and said to myself... "what does it mean, what does it mean" :D lol

Seriously tho,,, no,,, no crying. Although I'm quite sad each time my section hikes come to an end and I have to get back to reality.

Entropy2012
02-04-2012, 07:14
Nah, if I ever get into a bad situation like that I'll just start laughing hysterically. I remember last year when I got lost during the middle of a hike without a flashlight and night closing in. I was just giggling away kookily. :p

BlackJack1
02-04-2012, 07:47
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5896C58B7797E872 Winter New Years at Springer 2012

Majortrauma
02-04-2012, 08:55
I cried one time when I saw a double rainbow,, and said to myself... "what does it mean, what does it mean" :D lol

Seriously tho,,, no,,, no crying. Although I'm quite sad each time my section hikes come to an end and I have to get back to reality.

Now that was funny!!

quilteresq
02-04-2012, 09:49
No - but I know I'm capable of it, because I cried one day on my cross-country bike ride. Light headwinds were forecast and I spent an entire morning pedaling into 20-30 mile winds, fighting like hell just to keep the bike on the road. I wound up stopping in a small farming town shortly after noon and riding around crying until I was ready to face the public. Stopped at the local watering hole and had the only drink I ordered the entire bike ride during the day, then gave up at just read in my tent the rest of the day. I distinctly remember that when I got to Fargo, I wanted to find the television station there and go scream at the weatherman for that forecast. I had headwinds ALL the way across N. Dakota going West to East, but that was the worst day of the ride.

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2012, 10:01
I did a 60 mile ride the other day and all but the first 7 miles were a headwind. The winds were fluctuating between W and WNW to NW; it seemed to be following me, so I decide to take a 10 mile detour into a direct headwind just to get a 5 mile tailwind (heading directly east). As soon as I turned on that road I was hit in the face with an ENE wind, confirmed by leaves blowing directly in my face. I wanted so bad to take that bike and just throw it into the traffic of cars. I was freakin' pissed and cursing....I wanted to cry:o

That's why hills are better than wind; much more predictable

Sierra Echo
02-04-2012, 10:19
Ive laughed so hard Ive cried! Does that count?

Lone Wolf
02-04-2012, 10:43
i spilled some single malt once...

Storm
02-04-2012, 10:45
There's no crying in hiking.

That said, sometimes my knees are crying though.

Rasty
02-04-2012, 11:16
There's no crying in baseball!

Kingbee
02-04-2012, 11:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZMO8jhbwg

Grampie
02-04-2012, 11:43
During my first thru attempt I got to Fontana Dam. I was experiencing a lot of pain in my knees. I took three "0" days hopeing the rest would help. I put my pack on and started again. After crossing the dam and starting the climb up Shukstack the pain was worse than before. I sat down to regroup. Should I continue into the Smokies with limited places to bail or should I tough it out. My desision was to give up my hike and return home. At that point I cried. I loved what I was doing and didn't want to quit.

Lone Wolf
02-04-2012, 11:49
i cry for the trees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VThQr8fDiLA

atmilkman
02-04-2012, 12:18
i cry for the trees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VThQr8fDiLA
What the heck do you suppose they were on? Depressants? Anti-psychotics? I know it wasn't Lithium. Lithium will make you laugh like hell. It'll make you laugh at the wind. And no this is not the voice of experience, just observation. lolololollololol

Tinker
02-04-2012, 12:30
I know hikers don't cry but I almost did when I was solo on the A.T. in the winter and I got lost right before sunset with no water. I went 19 hours no food or water. I had food but no water to cook with. I found the trail the next day luckily. What about you?

Only about stuff back home. I got real cranky in the Hundred Mile Wilderness when I didn't get enough calories, though, every little thing seemed to set me off. That's pretty common, though, and, if I had had a reason, I might've cried then.

I often go to the trail to work things out - my dad's death, my wife's cancer, my former pastor's death, etc. These things may make anyone, anywhere, cry.

Second Half
02-04-2012, 12:36
Looks like these people spent a lot of time crying (jump to the :55 second mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1JvfLN8wSE&list=UU0n03lijPQ6JBN4Fpqv9ftg&index=1&feature=plcp

Lone Wolf
02-04-2012, 12:40
that's funny :)

Sugarfoot
02-04-2012, 12:55
My first solo AT trip started at the Visitors' Center at Amilacola Falls in June, 1994. My pack weighed 58 pounds at a time when I weighed about 153. Climbing the switchbacks to the top of the falls nearly did me in. Then a summer thunderstorm caught me going up Frosty Mountain. Lightening was popping on the ridge so I squatted with a rain jacket over my head. The storm didn't move so I sat in the mud for about three hours until the storm finally moved out. I pitched my tent on top of Frosty and never could find the spring. I cried and thought about returning to the park and calling my brother to come get me, but the next morning dawned cool, clear and beautiful. After shipping 15 pounds home from Neels Gap a few days later, things got better and better.

B.B.
02-04-2012, 12:56
I cried coming down Unaka Mtn last summer in the rain. It had rained for several days straight, and I was exhausted at that point. I slipped coming down and fell face first, landing in mud (better than a rock). I wasn't really hurt physically, busted my lip and skinned my knee, but I guess it was just the straw that broke the camels back. I sent a text to my husband back home, and he sent one back saying how proud he was of me. That did it and I started crying. It was a good cry... I felt rejuvenated and much better afterward. lol

Sassafras Lass
02-04-2012, 13:03
During my first thru attempt I got to Fontana Dam. I was experiencing a lot of pain in my knees. I took three "0" days hopeing the rest would help. I put my pack on and started again. After crossing the dam and starting the climb up Shukstack the pain was worse than before. I sat down to regroup. Should I continue into the Smokies with limited places to bail or should I tough it out. My desision was to give up my hike and return home. At that point I cried. I loved what I was doing and didn't want to quit.

I cried going up out of Fontana too . . . . but it was a completely exhausted, can't-take-another-step cry . . . . while I was shoving a King-size Snickers in my mouth.

Later hitched into Pigeon Forge and got off the trail - upon reviewing the past 3 weeks, we realized that for the last week or so, we were only rockin' about 900 calories a day. :eek: We had tried to eat, really we did, but it wasn't enough.

Blissful
02-04-2012, 13:04
Sure I have, several times in bad conditions. Worst was Baldpate Mtn in hypothermic conditions in rain slipping down the rocks -

Helps you deal with stuff, then you move on

Tinker
02-04-2012, 13:05

I feel your pain! :D

Don't get gout (no more beer - now I'm crying! ):(

Lone Wolf
02-04-2012, 13:07
i take lisinopril and have no gout symptoms

Blissful
02-04-2012, 13:09
LW I heard you were in the ER not that long ago - are you ok now?

Lone Wolf
02-04-2012, 13:11
LW I heard you were in the ER not that long ago - are you ok now?yeah. my BP was up around 220/100, pulse 140. was just sitting watchin' TV. docs found nothing wrong

Blissful
02-04-2012, 13:13
wow. Good thing you got your own nurse there. :)

kayak karl
02-04-2012, 13:16
yea, hiked 3 miles into a dry town.:(

Sierra Echo
02-04-2012, 13:19
Well I did get really upset when I blew my knee out for the first time. I was convinced i would never hike again.
I don't think I cried though. I remember yelling F%@* really loud near Preaching Rock. Cause thats the kind of lady I am.

lemon b
02-04-2012, 13:20
Nothing wrong with tears. Emotions are part of being human.

Blissful
02-04-2012, 13:21
Well I did get really upset when I blew my knee out for the first time. I was convinced i would never hike again.
I don't think I cried though. I remember yelling F%@* really loud near Preaching Rock. Cause thats the kind of lady I am.

At Preaching Rock, huh?

Well...really...

:)

Blissful
02-04-2012, 13:22
Nothing wrong with tears. Emotions are part of being human.

Got that right.

Rather be that than a robot. Or keep it bottled in and have a stroke or heart issue

Sierra Echo
02-04-2012, 13:22
At Preaching Rock, huh?

Well...really...

:)

Yep. I did my best to hold it in for awhile so I could have some dramatic effect. Or perhaps it was just Freudian. I don't know.

Tinker
02-04-2012, 13:25
i take lisinopril and have no gout symptoms

Not everyone does (might even be rare), also could be completely nonrelated. I do, and I do, so I'll have to deal with it.

Tipi Walter
02-04-2012, 13:33
There are tears of pain (ever had a severe toothache out on the trail?), there are tears of remorse (the remembrance of a lost dog, a passed loved one), there are tears caused by a nasty blizzard and a zero degree wind across the eyes, there are tears of self-pity, there are tears of panic, and there are tears of frustration---the mountain is too steep and the weight too much and the legs burn. The last one does not apply to me per se as I know when to stop and rest, but applies to a couple of people I had with me who wept in frustration on tough mountain trails.

ChinMusic
02-04-2012, 13:43
I didn't think I ever would, but it happened.
Last year in Yosemite once I got on top of Clouds Rest. I just couldn't believe how amazing that place was. It just hit me how fortunate I was to be able to see such a place.

Tipi Walter
02-04-2012, 13:50
Last year in Yosemite once I got on top of Clouds Rest. I just couldn't believe how amazing that place was. It just hit me how fortunate I was to be able to see such a place.

Yes, I forgot---there are tears of wonder. Like you I have passed certain amazing spots that made me want to weep.

JAK
02-04-2012, 13:51
It's a real bummer to be without fire. Don't know how some people hike without it.

I cry for those people.

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2012, 13:55
It's a real bummer to be without fire. Don't know how some people hike without it.

I cry for those people.Keep the fire burning :) http://www.badhonhara.com/Article_Body.php?Article_ID=664&Sub_Sub_Category_ID=

Primitive men probably knew how to use fire before they knew how to kindle it. Lightning may have struck a rotten tree and made it smolder. From this the cave man managed to start a fire, and then he kept it going, possibly for years. We know that all primitive and ancient peoples had the custom of keeping a perpetual fire going, because at first it was easier to watch over the fire than to start a new one. When the cave men trampled among loose stones in the dark, they must have noticed sparks when one stone struck another.

JAK
02-04-2012, 14:02
Seriously though, I've had some freaky dreams on the trail and woke up crying. Weird stuff. Good to let it out. Probably should cry more when I'm awake. lol. In terms of getting lost or snowed down or without water or injured and stuck it would be a whole lot worse without fire. You can almost always do without fire, but fire can be a real friend when you are stuck in a jam. Good for morale and helps you think straight. I suppose it might be theraputic in some way to go without fire now and then. Like fasting it might be cathartic in some way. Hmmm.

Tipi Walter
02-04-2012, 14:12
Seriously though, I've had some freaky dreams on the trail and woke up crying. Weird stuff. Good to let it out. Probably should cry more when I'm awake. lol. In terms of getting lost or snowed down or without water or injured and stuck it would be a whole lot worse without fire. You can almost always do without fire, but fire can be a real friend when you are stuck in a jam. Good for morale and helps you think straight. I suppose it might be theraputic in some way to go without fire now and then. Like fasting it might be cathartic in some way. Hmmm.

Not to change the subject but I rarely if ever build a fire on a backpacking trip. I'm always warmer in my tent on my Exped downmat and wrapped in my down bag---warmer than sitting around a fire at 0F in a stiff wind. To me a fire is an over-worked vestige of some early hominid age when it represented survival and food. My reaction here comes from seeing so many clueless campers building huge bonfires with no regard to wind speeds or dry conditions. Many of them love to add alcohol to the mix, etc.

Getting lost or snowed down or w/o water . . . and stuck . . . has never happened without having my full kit nearby, ergo a tent and a pad and a sleeping bag. No need for the time and energy spent with a fire.

kolokolo
02-04-2012, 14:37
Video of me almost crying. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eature=mh_lolz (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL259B501DC0BA3D11&feature=mh_lolz)

Wasn't finding the trail again more important than documenting your possible demise?

Papa D
02-04-2012, 14:41
Not to change the subject but I rarely if ever build a fire on a backpacking trip. I'm always warmer in my tent on my Exped downmat and wrapped in my down bag---warmer than sitting around a fire at 0F in a stiff wind. To me a fire is an over-worked vestige of some early hominid age when it represented survival and food. My reaction here comes from seeing so many clueless campers building huge bonfires with no regard to wind speeds or dry conditions. Many of them love to add alcohol to the mix, etc.

Getting lost or snowed down or w/o water . . . and stuck . . . has never happened without having my full kit nearby, ergo a tent and a pad and a sleeping bag. No need for the time and energy spent with a fire.

I totally agree with this -- it's so FUNNY seeing new backpackers (can I get in a boy scout dig in here while I'm at it) drop their packs and immediately start collecting wood for a big fire as if that is the prima facie objective for any night in the woods - even in summer temps! Forget about making a tidy camp, collecting water, preparing food, massaging sore muscles, brushing teeth, and so forth: the mantra is, "Ok, guys, start collecting wood to build a fire." It's often as unnecessary as any other game - frisbee? hacky sack? slack-lining, and campfires are all fun sometimes but none are necessary in most conditions. I DO enjoy a little fire when it's cold and not-windy so, I'm not going to be totally hypocritical here, but thinking first, like Tipi suggests would make a lot of sense for a lot of people. A candle in a little empty soup can makes a really nice cozy campfire alternative by the way - you can have it right inside your vestibule too!

Papa D
02-04-2012, 15:27
Back to the topic - I don't remember actually crying on the trail personally but I have been critically lonely when I just hadn't seen anyone for days and had to get out - just to stand in a gas station or a campground store and talk to someone for a little while was important.
The tears I've seen have mostly belonged to teenagers who were woefully out of shape and signed-up for a little more than they could handle. Usually, slowing down a bit, finally getting to camp, and a good creek swim fixes this up.

GoldenBear
02-04-2012, 15:50
On 2011 June 29, as I thought that years of hopes were disappearing before my eyes.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?583-Based-on-my-choices-from-a-week-ago-I-nominate-myself-for-quot-Bonehead-of-the-Year-quot

brian039
02-04-2012, 16:19
Never cried, cursed many mosquitoes and gnats though. Sometimes the ninja climbs that didn't show up on my elevation profile made me want to cry. I thought climbing Katahdin would be emotional or I'd have some great feeling of accomplishment or something, but it just seemed like a normal day.

Old Boots
02-04-2012, 16:52
A day spent in nature regardless of the conditions should never reduce you to tears if you are prepared.

CrumbSnatcher
02-04-2012, 18:26
you hike a 20+ mile day and miss the all you can eat buffet by 5 minutes, you do the math:(

Kookork
02-04-2012, 20:02
There are tears of pain (ever had a severe toothache out on the trail?), there are tears of remorse (the remembrance of a lost dog, a passed loved one), there are tears caused by a nasty blizzard and a zero degree wind across the eyes, there are tears of self-pity, there are tears of panic, and there are tears of frustration---the mountain is too steep and the weight too much and the legs burn. The last one does not apply to me per se as I know when to stop and rest, but applies to a couple of people I had with me who wept in frustration on tough mountain trails.

Nice post Tipi Walter

What about the tears of overwhelming emotions? Once I burst into tears after finding my lost dog after an hour in the woods. It was the tears of joy and I could not stop it for a long time. From that moment on, I enjoyed every moment of our hike.

Kookork
02-04-2012, 20:06

I did not know you have such a beautiful side ChinMusic. I gotta admit that I am finding you a better person than what I imagined before.

Kookork
02-04-2012, 20:09
A day spent in nature regardless of the conditions should never reduce you to tears if you are prepared.

I have problem with the word reducing . Crying is not reducing to anything. It is just a way to prevent our pressure cooker from bursting. It is a natural ,physiologic act of human being.

Juice
02-04-2012, 22:31
I have, but it was something I carried with me to the trail and had nothing to do with the hike.

wornoutboots
02-04-2012, 22:33
+1 on getting teary eyed at being so thankful to be able to see so many beautiful awe inspiring places!!

BryanE
02-05-2012, 01:00
I have problem with the word reducing . Crying is not reducing to anything. It is just a way to prevent our pressure cooker from bursting. It is a natural ,physiologic act of human being.

Very well said. I actually really enjoy crying. Sometimes everything just gets to be too much. I find it much better to cry than to just keep letting it build up. Unfortunately that is easier said then done.

Smokestack
02-05-2012, 01:15

Now hearing THAT made me cry!

Miami Joe
02-05-2012, 07:51
Many times laughter with my best friend elevated me to tears on the trail. Then there were tears of sadness and reflection after losing that friend, scattering his ashes where our boot prints had once shared the earth. If you haven't cried, then you haven't lived.

BlackJack1
02-06-2012, 17:37
Many times laughter with my best friend elevated me to tears on the trail. Then there were tears of sadness and reflection after losing that friend, scattering his ashes where our boot prints had once shared the earth. If you haven't cried, then you haven't lived.

Check this guy out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4oNEOmwUk&feature=related

Ender
02-06-2012, 17:44
I never cried, but I had an epic hissyfit in 1998 during my thru in MA. The bugs got unbelievably bad overnight. I went from not even carrying bug spray, to a bloody mess of dessicated human flesh in about 2 hours. After a solid mile where I didn't walk a single normal step because I was slapping my legs so much, I screamed, threw my poles, shook a tree, screamed again, picked up my poles, and walked back to the closest road to hitch into town.

Closest I came to pulling off the trail. Spent the afternoon sitting in a coffeehouse watching cars drive by, wondering what the hell I was doing this for; then decided I was being ridiculous, went out and bought bug spray, and went back onto the trail.

Dolly Sods
02-06-2012, 18:23
We we're at the blue hole (swimming hole) on the south fork of the Moorman River in SNP and my brother's dog, whom I was apprehensive about taking with us in the first place, ran off after another couple's dog. We spent the rest of the afternoon looking for her until night fall, when because of our lack of headlamps, we had go back to our cabin leaving her in the woods overnight. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make, and my wife had to drive because I was so overwhelmed with grief, anger (for my brother forcing us to take her), and despair.
Long story short, we continued to search the next day--joined the next day by my brother and his wife. We had to leave and go back, as our vacation was over. They gave up the search too and I was a complete mess the rest of the week. My brother's dog ended up staying over 96 hours in the woods before she found a family at the trailhead. This dog ended up getting struck & killed by a car on Halloween later that year. Lesson learned: 1) never spend 800 bucks on an alpha female who refuses to listen 2) Never pressure someone into dog sitting if they don't feel comfortable with the pet.

As for crying on trail, I've found myself crying on long hikes before the three 10 month contracts to "the sandbox", simply because I wasn't sure if I'd see my family, friends, loved ones, or beautiful Appalachian Mountains again.

I also remember sharing scotch with complete strangers in camp around a fire, and through conversation, rehashed all the memories & feelings of losing a very close friend to suicide after they had explained to me they were out camping (because they had just lost a close friend to suicide). It made me realize that we (survivors of suicide) are everywhere. It was a therapeutic, yet powerful experience, and I was convinced God had a large part in our lives intersecting that night.

Dolly Sods
02-06-2012, 18:24
Great thread BTW to the OP. Look forward to reading more. Thanks guys!

d.o.c
02-06-2012, 19:57
all the time if you dont.. your lieing and god knows your lies so dont bs us we know you cant handle this reality......

sheepdog
02-06-2012, 21:25
There's no crying in hiking!!!

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2012, 21:26
There's no crying in hiking!!!plenty of crying here on WB :-)

sheepdog
02-06-2012, 21:27
plenty of crying here on WB :-)

true dat.....

d.o.c
02-06-2012, 21:28
sounds like you guys spend more time on your ass then on the trail^^

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2012, 21:35
ive hiked more of the appalachian trail by accident than you ever will on purpose and you live right there next to the trail. and on sitting on my ass, i work 7 days a week, working my ass off to provide for my family,laying brick and block,which happens to be a very physically tough and demanding trade, 24 years now! you probably still live at home with the parents!
look i am assuming just like you were :-)
now you can add me to the crying list:o:D

sheepdog
02-06-2012, 21:39
sounds like you guys spend more time on your ass then on the trail^^
how would you know??

I'm not taking the troll bait hahahahahahhaa

Lone Wolf
02-06-2012, 21:41
ive hiked more of the appalachian trail by accident than you ever will on purpose hey that's my line! :)

sheepdog
02-06-2012, 21:43
does doc stand for "department of corrections"?

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2012, 21:44
hey that's my line! :)sorry , its usually i layed more bricks by accident.
i wish i lived closer to the trail,i wouldn't be on this damn computor to get my APPALACHIAN TRAIL fix

Camping Dave
02-06-2012, 21:53
it's so FUNNY seeing new backpackers (can I get in a boy scout dig in here while I'm at it) drop their packs and immediately start collecting wood for a big fire as if that is the prima facie objective for any night in the woods

12 year old boys enjoy starting fires, and 45 year old losers enjoy poking fun at 12 year old boys.

Jim Adams
02-06-2012, 21:56
I cried for 3 days once before I found the liquor store in Franklin!

geek

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2012, 22:05
I cried for 3 days once before I found the liquor store in Franklin!

geekgeek, you never had a problem sharing my booze with you! :-)

d.o.c
02-06-2012, 22:11
my thru hike happened completely on accident im just saying i dont care who you are theres a point where during it you break down and cry a little... im glad your giving your kids the best life you can i tip my hat to you but dont lie im sure you cried once during your dailly work to.. and D.o.c stands for dude on couch for the time i spent basicly homeless when i was 17-18 i have since fixed that and am working to get ahead with what i want to make me happy lord knows im never gonna meet a woman ha........ kinda funny cause my fateher worked for the state as a D.O.C officer... other than that i post on here when the trail is to wet or i dont feel like being there otherwise i hike almost daily till the summer where i work for production companys who run alot of the larger music festivals.

Jim Adams
02-06-2012, 22:53
geek, you never had a problem sharing my booze with you! :-)

...damn straight!....got me through some rough times. LOL

geek

GeneralLee10
02-06-2012, 23:09
I cried, I cried more than once. I'm a man it happens. I missed my little girl and now ex wife. I had a really bad dream one night scared the crap out of me. I woke crying. The next day I cried and my good caring hiking friends guided my mind in the right direction. That let me make it to Mass. Then I cried again on fathers day. Went home came back. Only to find myself crying again at Gale head hut. Then at the road crossing North of there as I hicthed a ride to town and come home. I cry still to the day knowing I failed at 1835 miles for a love that left me shortly after I got home.

Sarcasm the elf
02-06-2012, 23:42
I never cried, but I had an epic hissyfit in 1998 during my thru in MA. The bugs got unbelievably bad overnight. I went from not even carrying bug spray, to a bloody mess of dessicated human flesh in about 2 hours. After a solid mile where I didn't walk a single normal step because I was slapping my legs so much, I screamed, threw my poles, shook a tree, screamed again, picked up my poles, and walked back to the closest road to hitch into town.Closest I came to pulling off the trail. Spent the afternoon sitting in a coffeehouse watching cars drive by, wondering what the hell I was doing this for; then decided I was being ridiculous, went out and bought bug spray, and went back onto the trail.Just a wild guess, but was this in the Berkshire lowlands between Jug End and Tom Leonard lean-to?

Wise Old Owl
02-07-2012, 00:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IFSlNGH3DIE#t=78 s

I have no idea what you are all talking about...

RossSFCA
02-07-2012, 03:33
When both of my knees went out at 11,000 feet in the air, and I collapsed on a rock on the side of the John Muir Trail where I knew I was two full days away from the nearest highway, I got very frustrated. Maybe I cried... I know I cried out in frustration. I would have earned the right to cry after busting my @ss on the JMT and thinking I might not be able to complete the challenge.

BUT, I didn't mash the "SOS" button on my SPOT GPS. I just sat there for a bit, took in the scenery, thought about all the people back home who believed in me, and then (miracle or not), I was able to stand up and make it over the pass... and I completed the JMT! And then I wept with joy.

If I get frustrated on my AT thru-hike this year, you might hear me in my tent, but if that is what it takes to scrub away the frustration and negative emotion, so I don't quit, then I will cry when I need to... like Holly Hunter in "Broadcast News"!

Ross
(and yes, they call me DirtyGirl)

DBCFlash
02-07-2012, 09:35
I've never cried on the trail, but blubbered like a baby when I had to put my old dog Lucky to sleep. Still brings a tear to my eye when I think about it.

tuswm
02-07-2012, 13:26
On the JMT this yeaer I witnessed a 20 something female fall in bear creek (flood year from snow). I was putting my shoes one and didnt get there fast enough to do any good. She lost some of her gear and still had over 100 miles left. The water was ice cold. Once she was safe one the banks she lost it.

A few days later I made fun of her. Then Karma got me. Later that day I steped off a log at a stream crossing in to mud. The mud wasnt mud. The mud was just gunk floathing on water. I fell in to head deep water. Right in front of like ten people. More people then I had seen in the past 3 days. I was covered in mud and gunk by the time I got out. We all had a good laugh. Some how my down and electronics stayed dry.

K_Squared
02-07-2012, 14:57
Wow, yall are tough! After reading yall's posts, I guess I cried a lot!

- climbing out of Bly Gap (1st cry on the trail)
- in a nasty, cold rain coming off Roan Mountain. I thought my fingers were going to freeze off
- when we ran out of water outside of Port Clinton, PA
- After my 3rd day of giardia in CT
- Hitting Andover, ME after some rugged mountains and realizing that although we were in Maine we still had over 200 miles to go (mentally I was done)
- hiking across the tableland and seeing that wonderful sight of the Katahdin sign after 2,175 miles!

All the blood, sweat and TEARS was worth it. What I would give to go back and do it all over again :)

BlackJack1
02-07-2012, 19:28
climbing out of Bly Gap (1st cry on the trail) I was scared at Bly gap in Feb 2011 it was half rain, half ice, too cold to snow, and nowhere to rest.

Tenderheart
02-08-2012, 14:06

In 2000, when I reached Mt. Washington, the weather was terrible and the trail was closed across The Presiidentials. I was completely worn out and had no choice but to take the taxi down and try again the next day. I called my wife from the snack shop and cried like a baby. Yes, a baby.

Kookork
02-08-2012, 15:01
In 2000, when I reached Mt. Washington, the weather was terrible and the trail was closed across The Presiidentials. I was completely worn out and had no choice but to take the taxi down and try again the next day. I called my wife from the snack shop and cried like a baby. Yes, a baby.

Bro, As your chosen name ( not the one that your parents gave to you) is Tenderheart .You have every right to post here about crying on trails:).

People with tough trail (or Whiteblaze) names need to be as honest as you. There is a beauty in crying .It is a quick and honest release of emotions while some people bottle it up not knowing a few drops can work like a miracle from time to time.

Joker4ink
02-08-2012, 19:42
...I cry still to the day knowing I failed at 1835 miles for a love that left me shortly after I got home.

We all fail sometimes...school, work, love, hiking and more; it's human. However, the trail is still there and hopefully your misfortune will propel you to completing it as you intended.

BlackJack1
03-14-2012, 11:24
I cried again. This time at Fontana Dam with a Rainbow coming off the lake into the Smokie's ! Even got it on video.

JAK
03-14-2012, 13:16
Crying just another good reason to try and stay hydrated.

Prada
03-14-2012, 13:22
Yes, cried on the trail last Saturday! I solo-sectioned Springer to Hog Pen Gap, 3/6 to 3/10, and cried like a baby when I got to my truck because I didn't want to go home. Work sucks. I'll be back to continue on though on the 24th!!!! (not like I'm counting the minutes or anything!!!!) :)

JAK
03-14-2012, 13:26
Crying in the Rain
written by Howard Greenfield (1936-1986).
Made famous by the Everly Brothers;

I’ll never let you see
The way my broken heart is hurting me.
I’ve got my pride,
And I know how to hide
All my sorrow and pain:
I’ll do my crying in the rain.

If I wait for cloudy skies,
You won’t know the rain from the tears in my eyes.
You’ll never know
That I still love you so.
Though the heartaches remain,

Raindrops falling from heaven
Could never wash away my misery,
But since we’re not together
I’ll look for stormy weather
To hide these tears I hope you’ll never see.

Someday when my crying’s done,
I’m gonna wear a smile and walk in the sun.
I may be a fool,
But till then, darling, you’ll
Never see me complain:

flemdawg1
03-14-2012, 15:12
Most of us are more Familiar w/ this one JAK.
"Crying In The Rain" By Whitesnake

A black cat moans
When he's burning with the fever
A stray dog howls
When he's lonely in the night
A woman goes crazy
With the though of retribution
But, a man starts weeping
When he's sick and tired of life

I keep on dreaming dreams of tomorrow
Feel I'm wasting my time
Lighting candles in the wind,
Always taking my chances
On the promise of the future
But, a heart full of sorrow
Paints a lonely tapestry

The sun is shining
But, it's raining in my heart

No one understands the heartache,
No one feels the pain,
'Cos no one ever sees the tears
When you're crying in the rain,
When you're crying in the rain,
Crying in the rain...

I can never deny
All the sweet things I have tasted
Tho' I've been mistreated
I keep coming back for more,
I know where I'm going
There's no hope of absolution
I can't seem to separate
The good times from the bad

The sun is shining
But, it's raining in my heart

pdcolelli42
03-14-2012, 17:18
The first time I ever saw a black bear... no not immediately, but I saw 13 in less than 2 days and I was all alone. Now I'm not saying I was scared of all of them but 1 in particular scared the **** out of me. I came into a moment where I was just like "I just want to keep hiking and I have to keep stopping and waiting for all these bears to leave!" So it was a combination of frustration and a little scaredness crying.

Anyway, I've since learned that black bears are kind of a joke and more like a deer than a death machine. Now I'm totally not scared of them.

Capt Nat
03-14-2012, 23:07
I cried yesterday when I weighed my pack. Seriously, I didn't used to cry but last Feb my father died. I since have become pretty good at it. I imagine that IF I climb Katahdin, I will probably cry. I hope so at least. I agree with the macho bunch though and think that crying on the trail should be kept to an absolute minimum. Crying makes you appear weak and may induce a bear attack.

rainmaker
03-14-2012, 23:07
Never did much crying but I sure did some powerful cussing, usually after slipping on a bog bridge.

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2012, 11:34
Last time I remember was 12 Sept. 2003, Gorham, NH. Someone had just told me that Johnny Cash died.

BlackJack1
03-19-2012, 12:18
Last time I remember was 12 Sept. 2003, Gorham, NH. Someone had just told me that Johnny Cash died.

I still cry over that.

BlackJack1
11-01-2012, 13:48
I fell off a cliff at the Nolichucky River. I now have 3 permanent scars. Didn't cry but I was scared. I thought I broke my leg.

gizzy bear
11-01-2012, 14:29
november rain by GNR makes me cry :(

bubonicplay
11-02-2012, 00:35
+1 on running out of water, I was seriously worried.

Mrs Baggins
11-02-2012, 05:56
The day after climbing out of the NOC in 2008. I was so beat down dead tired. We were supposed to get to the next shelter (don't remember the name of it at the moment) and the friend I was with had her copy of the profile out. I started to look at it and she tried to hide it. Then she showed me the climb we'd have to do that day before we got to the shelter. It wasn't that it was all that long or all that steep...it was just the idea of another climb....I walked over to a tree, put my forehead against it and cried.

Angle
11-02-2012, 07:32
I've given rides to a few hikers that smelled so bad that my eyes watered. Does that count? Back in 2010 I was following the journal of the Carlos "Galilee Man" Goldberg and wanted to meet him as he past through Pennslyvania. I tried several times to catch up with him, but he was putting in big miles and we kept missing each other. After reading his journal how he had missed his mail drop in Port Clinton and was getting weak because he didn't have his gels, protien bars, etc. from his resupply, I decided to make one more attempt to meet him. I drove up to Bear Mountain, NY and headed south on the trail and met him by the tower at the top of the mountain. He was in bad shape having spent the night vomiting and running to the bathroom from a stomach virus. Walked with him back down to the concession area but they were closed because of no power. I had brought some gels, protien bars, and cold sodas with me and was able to share a little trail majic with him. We then continued on to the bridge across the Hudson River and as we said our good byes he started to cry and so did I.

Iceman

HikerMom58
11-02-2012, 08:30
Wow... that was very interesting. It took me a while to read it all but I enjoyed every minute of it. I've never cried on the trail so far but I did cry when we visited the Grand Canyon for the first time. I wasn't expecting it at all when the tears started flowing... :)

I wish I could go back & make comments on the comments but there's no way.... thanks for sharing so much of yourselves. :)

Prime Time
11-02-2012, 21:09
I've given rides to a few hikers that smelled so bad that my eyes watered. Does that count? Back in 2010 I was following the journal of the Carlos "Galilee Man" Goldberg and wanted to meet him as he past through Pennslyvania. I tried several times to catch up with him, but he was putting in big miles and we kept missing each other. After reading his journal how he had missed his mail drop in Port Clinton and was getting weak because he didn't have his gels, protien bars, etc. from his resupply, I decided to make one more attempt to meet him. I drove up to Bear Mountain, NY and headed south on the trail and met him by the tower at the top of the mountain. He was in bad shape having spent the night vomiting and running to the bathroom from a stomach virus. Walked with him back down to the concession area but they were closed because of no power. I had brought some gels, protien bars, and cold sodas with me and was able to share a little trail majic with him. We then continued on to the bridge across the Hudson River and as we said our good byes he started to cry and so did I.

Iceman I just shed a tear too. Thanks for sharing.