PDA

View Full Version : southbounder questions

petmac
03-17-2005, 22:17
Okay so I am leaving with two other friends of mine May 20th, giver or take a day or two. And I have a small but growing list of questions.

1, should we expect snow, being from the Adirondacks and having completed my 46 I have come to expect snow in the “secret season” (early to mid May before the tourist arrive). How ever Baxter state park workers have said that day temps are averaged at 60 day and 40s in the night. What am I to believe and expect… I am doubting post-holeing at 3600’ on ridgeline but who knows.

2. I have a list of mail drops (I wish I could attach them to this thread for ya’ll to see and make judgments), I am planning on only utilizing mail drops till NJ then I will In-town purchase my food. Does this sound okay? Or is there any other method I should know of or towns to stop in at.

3. bugs.. I know, I know. bugs till I get to the VT/MASS border that why I am in constant contemplation over my Silshelter and a half bug bivy or a Coleman exponent enyo 2 tent. This has been my biggest dilemma

4 gear. I am in a mental dilemma on what to bring for the first leg ME to NJ I have a gear list with (wish I could attach it to here) the basic light stuff, minus soda can stove, that is for NJ and south. Is there any thing that I should know that was helpful to others that southbounded the trail same time in years past that was of great use.

5. Maps. I am not planning on bringing the guild books or those maps. I think I am going to just laminate the Antigravity bandanas (http://antigravitygear.com/products/bandanas.html), they have everything I might need. Has any one used these before, or are there better trail recourse I might consider using?

Yea so if any one that has south bound hiked the trail around the same time, or just has any good advice, try to answer or clarify some of these questions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks and see ya’ll on the trail!

peter

TJ aka Teej
03-17-2005, 23:06
May 20th is pushing the 'earliest' date to start a thru at Katahdin. The AT from Katahdin Stream Campground to Baxter Peak might not yet been declared open before the weekend you get there.
Maildrops: check Baltimore Jack's advice in the information section on the WB toolbar, follow his advice.
Bugs: Same as the Daks, sleeping without cover will get you et.
Gear: Post that list, we love Tuckerizing gear.
Laminate your Mapdanna? Just say no.
And you have a rez at Baxter, yes? If not do so now. I always recommend MEGAs stay the night before and after their climb at Katahdin Stream Campground. www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/)

Peaks
03-18-2005, 10:08
As posted, the trails up Katahdin may not be open around May 20. Other than that, I would suspect that weather will be similiar to the 'Dacks.

Maps: It's irresponsible not to carry them. Bandanas should be labeled "Not for navigation."

walkin' wally
03-18-2005, 10:25
A lot can happen between now and May 20 but yesterday I went up to a camp north of Monson and removed about 30 inches of snow from two roofs. That is a lot of snow to have this late in the season. It has been cold this year up to now and we have not had the melting that usually takes place by now. No rainstorms either. If we get a lot of rain we could have flooding this spring but on the other hand there will be less snow. It is my guess that there will be some snow left on the ground later this year than normal.

khaynie
03-18-2005, 10:46
My wife and I are planning to start our SOBO by +/- 6/1/2005. We are using ATC's topo maps for Maine in conjunction with a databook. For a list of gear we are taking you can visit www.trailjournals.com/lisaandkeith (http://www.trailjournals.com/lisaandkeith) and click on our gear link. Bugs - we have headnets and deet; I am not as immune to bugs as Lisa - she grew up in Savannah, GA on the coast... Either way, hopefully we'll see you on the trail! Good Luck and Happy Trails!!!

petmac
03-18-2005, 18:52
Would it be feasible to just find a motel in the nearest town and then start the next day? Also, is it possible to tarp-it before of after Katahdin Stream Campground. Thanks for your replies folks.

pete

rickb
03-18-2005, 19:51
Would it be feasible to just find a motel in the nearest town and then start the next day?

Sure, but it wouldn't be as much fun. You would have to get up very early the next AM to ensure entry into the park (anyone with camping reservation need not be concerned with capacity restrictions), and then you have a very full day ahead.

When you come down off the mountain, you won't want to leave the Park.

Also, is it possible to tarp-it before of after Katahdin Stream Campground. Thanks for your replies folks.

No. You would have to leave the park to pitch a tarp.

pete

petmac
03-18-2005, 21:09
Right. Sounds great. Now just one more question.

Stove...i have a Wisperlite and i am reluctant to bring it due to the weight. If I were to bring a soda can stove for the hike would i be able to fine burnable fuel along the trail, or would i have to compromise and mail fuel tablets?

pete

TJ aka Teej
03-18-2005, 23:46
Would it be feasible to just find a motel in the nearest town and then start the next day?
Hi Pete,
How far along are you in your planning? Campground reservations? Coming up by bus?

Singletrack
03-19-2005, 00:21
Right. Sounds great. Now just one more question.

Stove...i have a Wisperlite and i am reluctant to bring it due to the weight. If I were to bring a soda can stove for the hike would i be able to fine burnable fuel along the trail, or would i have to compromise and mail fuel tablets?

pete
Most all SOBO's use the soda can stoves. You will not have any problem finding denatured alcohol, or the yellow bottle of Heet. You might want to carry enough to get you to Monson. About 114 miles from the summit of Mt. Katahdin.. Good Luck, have fun.

petmac
03-19-2005, 11:42
How far along are you in your planning? Campground reservations? Coming up by bus?
We are getting drove up and then dropped off to start on May 20th. So far I have compiled all the mail drops I plan on using, attached below. The only thing I am in debate about is how we tackle Katahdin. We are wondering if it would be best to spend 2 nights at KS campground (the first when we arrive, next day we would day hike the mountain with vast majority of out weight at the bottom then spent the second night for an early start out of the park. The other option I was considering is one night a Roaring Brook Campground, hike up and over the mountain and spend the next night at KS campground. What ways have you folks started?

Thanks for the beta on the soda can stoves I think I will use mine. Check out my mail drop list and let me know if there is something that does not look right or some thing you guys would do differently.. thanks

pete

Smooth03
03-19-2005, 12:36
I concur with others that a May 20th start might be a little earlier. I know in 2003 they didn't even open up K until May 26th. Of course if you aren't terribly concerned with climbing K than you can start whenever.

In terms of bugs I think its just a personal thing. I didn't use DEET but thats not because it wasn't warranted. I would venture that taking a tarp tent would test your sanity. The black flies only work 9-5 but the Mosquito's work 24 hours a day. I would also suggest getting a head net.

The bugs will leave around Mass but get bad again in Parts of NJ. Not terribly, but still enough to make you wear your rain jacket when its 90 degrees out because they keep biting through your t-shirt. Or maybe that was just me....

rickb
03-19-2005, 19:29
Since you are getting drove up, why not try for a reservation within the park at one of the cabins? Daicey Pond would be ideal.

They are rustic, but have lanterns and wood stoves and fire wood and bunks with a mattress and such. Your drivers would need sleeping bags or a resonable substitute, but it would be a heck of a nice experience-- even if they are non camping wimps!

Rick B

rickb
03-19-2005, 19:38
As for starting at Roaring Brook, that would be a great option if the folks who are driving you up will be around to shuttle your stuff to the other side of the mountain. Not being too bright, I did carry a pack with some 12 days worth of food over from Roaring Brook, and consider myself lucky that I didn't hurt myself and end my walk on day one.

Roaring Brook CG might also be the perfect place to go for a short walk with your drivers. About a mile in there is a pond which seems to always have a Moose, and has a perfect view of Katahdin. If you get dropped off there, you can stay in the bunk house.

The most exciting way to climb out or Roaring Brook goes over the Knife Edge. Its about a mile traverse with Western stlye dropoffs on both sides-- not recommended if you get vertigo or if the weather sucks. I took the easy way to start my trip via Chimney Pond. That's a decision you could make the morning of day one!

RIck B

TJ aka Teej
03-19-2005, 21:29
We are wondering if it would be best to spend 2 nights at KS campground (the first when we arrive, next day we would day hike the mountain with vast majority of out weight at the bottom then spent the second night for an early start out of the park. The other option I was considering is one night a Roaring Brook Campground, hike up and over the mountain and spend the next night at KS campground.
I always suggest MEGAs spend the nights before and after their climb in a lean-to at Katahdin Stream Campground. Roaring Brook Campground will be open, but the trails up Katahdin will stay closed until the campground at Chimney Pond opens on June 1st. Trails to Baxter Peak from the Roaring Brook side of Katahdin always open later than the Hunt and Abol Slide trails over on the 'sunny' AT side of The Mountain. Rick mentions Sandy Stream Pond - there's a sittin' rock out there that is one of my favorite spots on Earth. http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4156/size/big/sort/1/cat/500