PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mtn Short Hike

dmperkins74
02-04-2012, 15:08
Hey there all,

I'm a section hiker, on a 20 year plan doing small bits at a time (check out my map here: www.gdbdp.com/at (http://www.gdbdp.com/at)). I'm looking to cross the 25% mark this year. Was thinking of celebrating by doing a few days from Springer Mtn. Haven't gotten my Georgia Maps / Book yet, so figured I'd post a question or two here. So here goes:

The ATC website's map shows a road crossing at USFS 42 just north of Springer. How rough is that road? And does it ever close? Was thinking of parking at a trailhead somewhere north on the trail and getting a shuttle to drop me at USFS 42, hike up to top of Springer, then back down and continue North to my car.

Also, when's a good time to do springer? Is it better in the Spring or Fall? Pretty sure I wouldn't want to be down that far south in the Summer.

Any input appreciated,
Thanks,
dp

Rusty Nail
02-04-2012, 15:37
off topic but your map is awesome. did you make it or find it?

Hikes in Rain
02-04-2012, 15:54
Second on the map! I want one.

USFS42 is passable by just about any passenger car, with reasonable care. Spring is a good time. Still cool (summer can be really hot!), bugs aren't out in force yet, flowers are blooming.

Blissful
02-04-2012, 16:04
I'd vote for fall, personally, with the colored leaves. Spring and Springer will also be very busy with thru hikers. If there is late snow or precip, road could be very muddy, etc.

moytoy
02-04-2012, 17:14
I get some beautiful hiking weather on springer every October. I've also done April but it seems to be a littler wetter in the spring.

One-8T
02-04-2012, 17:19
I agree with Springer in the Fall. Great colors and slightly few people.

Now about that map. Outstanding! Share the details please. I want to start using something like that. Way better than my spreadsheet.

Northern Lights
02-04-2012, 18:07
That is a cool map. I want one too!!

1azarus
02-04-2012, 20:47
The wildlife counter feature on your trip reports is cute beyond words!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dmperkins74
02-04-2012, 21:58
This is great to hear. Glad to hear it's accessible. I do love a good fall hike with colors and heavy thru hiker traffic was a spring concerns. Thanks for the inputs.

As for the map, thanks for the kudos on the map. I've been working in the creative design field heavily using Flash for years, so I made it myself. I have to use the Flash application by Adobe to update it with each hike (a process that really only takes a few minutes) so it's not something I can really make available to others. I've considered making a version that could run off of XML or txt files, so anyone could make their own, but just never gotten around to it.

Thanks again for the info and kind words,
dp

Rusty Nail
02-05-2012, 12:32
I have CS5 it could work for me. hint hint