PDA

View Full Version : Neoair Small

Singletrack
02-04-2012, 15:49
Wondering how hard, or easy to deflate the Neoair size small? Also, can one expect a good experience with one, or
bad? Your views.

STICK
02-04-2012, 16:44
I don't have any trouble inflating my regular size so I cannot see how the small would be bad at all...but I guess this comes down to each person...

As far as experience...I love mine! Although it is a regular size not a small. I would rather have a full length pad rather than try to make up the difference with other items. Especially on a thicker pad like the NeoAir. Now if it were on a thinner ccf pad it wouldn't be so bad, at least IMO. However, there are plenty of hikers that use them... so again, this will vary from person to person...

Singletrack
02-04-2012, 16:57
Thanks Stick, How hard is it to deflate? I had a blow up mattress once, and I could never get all the air out of it.

RodentWhisperer
02-04-2012, 17:11
By my own experience, it's relatively easy to deflate-- open the valve, roll the mattress (before folding it) toward the valve, and all should go well.

I think you're going to see that, for many backpackers, you either love the NeoAir or hate it. I've seen many people complain about its noisiness, its frailty, and even its color. But those who haven't complained have said it's incredibly light, reliable (with the proper care), and oh-so-comfy. Personally, I agree more with the "lovers" than the "haters!"

dshideler
02-04-2012, 17:13
I also have the regular neo air. I have no trouble at all getting every last ounce of air out of it. I usually open the valve and push as much out by leaning or laying on it then I start at the end rolling it up tightly. When I get to the end I close the valve, un roll it, fold it in thirds lengthwise, open the valve and roll it up to its final size. All the air comes out.

RodentWhisperer
02-04-2012, 17:23
I also have the regular neo air. I have no trouble at all getting every last ounce of air out of it. I usually open the valve and push as much out by leaning or laying on it then I start at the end rolling it up tightly. When I get to the end I close the valve, un roll it, fold it in thirds lengthwise, open the valve and roll it up to its final size. All the air comes out.That's a more detailed list of instructions! Thanks!

STICK
02-04-2012, 17:24
I also have the regular neo air. I have no trouble at all getting every last ounce of air out of it. I usually open the valve and push as much out by leaning or laying on it then I start at the end rolling it up tightly. When I get to the end I close the valve, un roll it, fold it in thirds lengthwise, open the valve and roll it up to its final size. All the air comes out.

+1...this is exactly what I do to and it works perfectly every time...

I also agree with Rodent Whisperer...there are lovers and haters, and I too am a lover. For one simple reason, I find it more comfortable than others. The horizontal baffles are more plush to me than the vertical baffles on some other air pads. Then of course the fact that it is so light and packs small. Mine has been completely reliable and I have all the faith in it. I think the best thing is to find a certain style that is comfortable to you and then to start comparing those types of mattresses...

Firefighter503
02-04-2012, 17:34
I love my Regular NeoAir. Blow it up firm when you get to camp. Let a little air out before bed until it is comfortable, and you are good to go. It is not that loud in my opinion, and I just release the air before I get out of my sleeping bag in the morning. That gets most of the air out, and then I just fold it in thirds long ways and roll it up/stick it in its sack. Good to go.

Singletrack
02-04-2012, 18:55
Thanks for everyone's help. I went ahead and ordered a small. I like the small pads, used them for years now.
Got it for $64.97 and free shipping. If I don't like it, I can sell it. Worth a try.

STICK
02-04-2012, 20:01
From what I understand (from a different forum post ~ nothing official) the first run of the Neo's were crinkly, but CD changed it up so that they are not as crinkly. I bought mine later in the game but have had no issues with it being loud nor has anyone in camp with me.

One thing to remember about the Neo though is do not leave it inflated in the heat. It will not be pretty if you do...the internal baffles will separate and it will be seriously deformed...

dshideler
02-04-2012, 20:03
Don't think you will be disappointed. I started to hate sleeping in a tent. After sleeping on even a thermarest trail mat my hips and shoulders would be very sore and would go numb (I'm a side sleeper). I no longer have that problem.

Freedom Walker
02-04-2012, 21:19
I have a long, (I am 6-2) but could have gotten by with a regular. It takes about 16-20 puffs to inflate and I deflate just like the others have desribed. No noise issues and sleeps very well.

chiefiepoo
02-04-2012, 23:27
I have the neoair small. At 5'6" it works fine for me. The full width roll out then folding by thirds works best. The last roll is with the neoair folded back on itself so the inflation valve faces out against the stuff sack rather than rubbing up against the pad itself while rolled up. Also, it makes a very good raft for floating on a sunny day. I floated around a cove at Isle Royale for an afternoon on a sunny day and it was dry after an hour in the sun.

tuswm
02-05-2012, 01:42
This is a thread that I started comparing the neo to other similar pads. I have the neo and my GF has the UL7. we have atleast 700 miles on each. hers is like brand new still. at this point I have to re inflate mine once per night. it doesnt go flat but it doent hold air like it used to . check out my thread. it will go over all the other short comings of the new compared to the UL7.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72854-Exped-SynMat-UL-7-Air-vs.-Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72854-Exped-SynMat-UL-7-Air-vs.-Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir)

dalemc
02-09-2012, 13:23
I like my regular and want the small. I tried snatching one of those $65 ones and they had their inventory wrong... no more left. Campmor is at $80