PDA

View Full Version : Gore-tex

Nearly Normal
03-17-2005, 22:25
"If you are not completley satisfied with the waterproofness, windproofness, or breathability of your GORE-TEX outerwear, we will repair it, relace it or refund your purchase price".

As far as hiking boots are concerned, it's no small wonder this warranty isn't tested or has anyone?:-?
pete

bulldog49
03-18-2005, 09:45
I know this is sacreligious on this board, but I love Gore boots. I don't hike in the summer they work great for me.

hikerjohnd
03-18-2005, 10:33
"If you are not completley satisfied with the waterproofness, windproofness, or breathability of your GORE-TEX outerwear, we will repair it, relace it or refund your purchase price".
Ditto to Boston's question - where is this from? :confused:

Nearly Normal
03-19-2005, 10:58
<HR color=#339966 SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

This is printed on a flyer that came with a new pair of boots that contain Gore-tex. I assume it comes with everything containing Gore-Tex.

Has anyone ever tested this warranty?
Does Gore-Tex really keep your feet dry?

Mouse
03-19-2005, 11:23
My Goretex lined Merrill Chameleons did not stay PERFECTLY dry, but they made a huge difference. Unless water poured over the tops the worst I got was very damp rather than sopping. Of course I also took the precaution of treating them with Nikwax before I used them, but still the liner helped. On many days that others with non-lined boots had drenched feet mine were only damp. I was very happy with them.

(Warning, I am sure your mileage (dampness) will vary! :dance )

hikerjohnd
03-19-2005, 12:03
Has anyone ever tested this warranty?
I don't think I've ever read the warranty from Gortex! I have only had 1 problem returning gear to a store (a little mom and pop shop in south Florida) and if a store wouldn't take a piece of gear back, I would move to the manufacturer. The one problem I had with the store was resolved by a refund from the manufacturer (OR for a defective pair of gaiters). I think if your dissatisfaction with a piece of gear results in your need to conact a third party who manufactured a part that is in your gear, then the service of the seller and manufacturer are in question. And, if the seller and manufacturer are paying for an item like Gortex, then their reliability is probably pretty good. So the claim that Gortex makes, while I do not doubt they would honor it, probably goes unused because of the other steps most people take first.:cool:

NICKTHEGREEK
03-19-2005, 14:37
YES!
My feet are never wet, from sweat or from water seeping in with gore tex boots.
The only time my feet got wet with gore tex boots was when I was walking in a stream, which was taller than the top of my boots. My feet got wet.
Absolutely agree insofar as my lowas are concerned. If they don't leak after standing in 2 " of flooded basement for several hours, they ain't gonna.
With the same GTX boots I hiked around on assateague island in the summer, on beach sand, wearing meriono wool socks and I wouldn't say my feet didn't get warm, but the socks and goretex worked. My socks weren't exactly dry, but they were a long way from even being damp.