PDA

View Full Version : Sectional hike in May from Springer

Big head
02-04-2012, 21:16
Thinking of a sectional hike in early May, I will just head North for 7 days and see how far I get, start from Amicalola falls or Springer, I would be interested in your feedback on weather etc.

Will I be OK that time of year with a +45 bag (& scout thermarest, tent), I thought it would be warm but have heard that it can get chilly also will I need anything for bugs?

If I can get to Dicks Creek Gap, then I will be happy but wherever I get to, will I find it easy enough to get a ride (taxi or hitch) back to the start where my car will be? I have checked out the hiker hostel webpage, perhaps I can work something with them.

Thanks

Freedom Walker
02-04-2012, 21:50
There are several WB members from North GA who can give you advice, but I would bring another lower rating bag along with the 45 degree and make a choice that week depending on what the weather is then and leave one in the trunk of car. There are many locals who offer stuttle services that you can arrange with before hand. Also If you are in good shape, Dicks creek gap is very doable, that is 67 miles from springer.

Big head
02-04-2012, 22:30
2 bags is a great idea, thanks.

Is the rush typically over by early May, or will it still be a conga line gong up the trail?

Freedom Walker
02-04-2012, 23:07
2 bags is a great idea, thanks.

Is the rush typically over by early May, or will it still be a conga line gong up the trail?

Mostly over for thruHiking, but there could be a lot of section hikers trying to beat the summer heat by taking advantage of mild weather especially on weekends.

Cookerhiker
02-05-2012, 08:57
Thinking of a sectional hike in early May, I will just head North for 7 days and see how far I get, start from Amicalola falls or Springer, I would be interested in your feedback on weather etc.

Will I be OK that time of year with a +45 bag (& scout thermarest, tent), I thought it would be warm but have heard that it can get chilly also will I need anything for bugs?

If I can get to Dicks Creek Gap, then I will be happy but wherever I get to, will I find it easy enough to get a ride (taxi or hitch) back to the start where my car will be? I have checked out the hiker hostel webpage, perhaps I can work something with them.

Thanks

Even with a leisurely pace, you'll make it to Dick's Creek Gap. If you can tack on an additional 2-3 days, you could hike to Winding Stair Gap Rt. 64. Here's a recent thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80559-10-Days-in-April-How-far-from-Approach-Trail-should-I-plan&p=1246410&highlight=#post1246410) on that subject. Note that Toolshed's hike is April.

max patch
02-05-2012, 09:36
I live here and there is no way I'd take a 45 degree bag first week of May

Big head
02-05-2012, 10:58
Anything below 50F i will need a different bag, I'd prefer it if it was cooler so its all good.

What about Deet?

daddytwosticks
02-05-2012, 12:26
I would bring a warmer bag. Agree 100% w/max patch! Also, I'd leave my car in Hiawassee. If you make it to Dick's Creek Gap, great. If you only make it to Unicoi, you'll still be able to get into Hiawassee relatively easily. I think you'll still see some late starting thru-hikers. Have a great hike. :)

Seawoods
02-06-2012, 22:35
I went on a short hike the first week of May last year just north of the GA/NC line. The nightime temps were in the low 30's, the trees were just starting to bud out on the higher ridges. I don't recall any bugs at all. Beautiful days, but it was cold at night.

hunter121
02-06-2012, 23:38
I agree with the author's point of view! I learned a lot. Thank you!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif

flemdawg1
02-07-2012, 18:35
I used a 40deg quilt the 1st week of April last year, augmented it with a puff layer when it was chilly out.