PDA

View Full Version : Best t-shirt for the money

dhock83
02-05-2012, 12:05
What is the best shirt for the money? In terms of weight, smell, and how fast it dries.

daddytwosticks
02-05-2012, 12:18
Starter brand poly tee shirts from Walmart. Cheap (under 10 bucks), light (like less than 5 ounces for my large), dries quickly, and stinks about the same as other hiking tee shirts I've used. :)

Papa D
02-05-2012, 12:19
THis is my go to shirt - I guess I'd love to find one in a hiker box - retail about $80 - I also like smart-wool t-shirts:

www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Hiking/Ether-Comp-Crew-SS#Shirts-Tops

T (http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Hiking/Ether-Comp-Crew-SS#Shirts-Tops)o wash a shirt on the trail, put a few drops of Dr. Bronner's soap in a big mouth nalgene bottle or a gallon zip lock - add shirt and a good bit of water. Do a wash cycle, then a rinse cycle. Dig a little cat-hole to pour the grey-water into (away from other water sources) - wring out, shake and hang in the sunshine - now you're good to go for another couple of days!

Papa D
02-05-2012, 12:35
Here is the smart-wool link - it's $65 - retail - you can always find sales on this stuff too by the way

www.smartwool.com/mens/mens-microweight-tee-1.html

MaybeTomorrow
02-05-2012, 12:50
I'm a stinker and can't stand myself in wickers. I wear 100% nylon underlayers including the Players brand nylon tshirt. It dries before you can get it off! j/k ;) Very cheap, found it online.

MuddyWaters
02-05-2012, 12:54
walmart starter is cheap, but smelly

the lightest Nike is about 3.6 oz in L, and dont stink as bad as the starter for some reason

rowan
02-05-2012, 13:29
check out coolmax... http://shop.vendio.com/mikejonea2 not only made in the USA, made in ROWAN county! Dries incredibly fast, lightweight... stinkier than wool but comparable to any other synthetic. and again, made in NC!

Lone Wolf
02-05-2012, 13:33
there's absolutely no need to pay over $20 for a wicking t-shirt

Mags
02-05-2012, 15:38
The Champion branded shirts at Target are very good as well. The long sleeve shirt, socks and runnings shorts are all also reasonably priced, durable and do the job.

Spokes
02-05-2012, 16:53
I like the Starter brand stuff too. Of course, I'm comfortable with my funk too.......

swjohnsey
02-05-2012, 17:15
check out coolmax... http://shop.vendio.com/mikejonea2 not only made in the USA, made in ROWAN county! Dries incredibly fast, lightweight... stinkier than wool but comparable to any other synthetic. and again, made in NC!

Yep, I will go a little out of my way to buy in the USA.

brotheral
02-05-2012, 19:23
Here is the smart-wool link - it's $65 - retail - you can always find sales on this stuff too by the way

www.smartwool.com/mens/mens-microweight-tee-1.html (http://www.smartwool.com/mens/mens-microweight-tee-1.html)
I wonder what SmartWool's actual cost is on these ??

aaronthebugbuffet
02-05-2012, 20:29
Target Champion shirts, nothing wrong with keeping it funky in the woods.

rocketsocks
02-05-2012, 20:57
Old Navy $5.00 on sale in season,Polyester "RecTech" light,sheer,wicks and stinks like He' double hockey sticks

aaronthebugbuffet
02-05-2012, 21:11
Old Navy $5.00 on sale in season,Polyester "RecTech" light,sheer,wicks and stinks like He' double hockey sticksOh yeah, I saw an ad. I need to check those out.

The Starter brand used to have a really tight neck. I haven't checked them out lately.

Papa D
02-05-2012, 21:17

It costs a lot to run a business - I run one - costs include paying your employees a fair wage, handling their health care, proper insurance - including liability and worker's compensation --- after all this is paid, you have to service your equipment, pay for marketing, office expenses and so forth - THEN, you can get to the discussion regarding what the raw materials cost and how much a fair profit is. Doing business PROPERLY is expensive - this is why I support good companies -- so, what do you mean by "actual cost?" Buying stuff made in China where they have no labor laws, insurance, fair wages, environmental (or other standards) effs us all over. Go ahead and do that - buy that shirt for $5 bucks - but THINK about why it's so cheap - if you're on a cheap budget, I'd suggest buying second hand, at the thrift store, at the yard sale, etc. way ahead of the easy way out which is Wallmart.

Dolly Sods
02-06-2012, 00:19
+1 for the Target wicking T shirts. I've had some of mine last five years plus.Lone Wolf is absolutely right here, there is no need to pay more than 20 bucks for a wicking shirt. But then again, some people are driven by brand, cost, and of course to be the hiker in camp with the most expensive outfit on. Same goes for the real world off the trail.

Miami Joe
02-06-2012, 04:18
Best T-shirt for the money. Just don't wear it on the trail. Things of this nature are best left for the workplace, political rallies or self-righteous social functions. (Warning profane.) (http://www.amazon.com/****ing-T-shirt-Hilarious-Funny-Available/dp/B0036C27I2)

Miami Joe
02-06-2012, 04:25

Priceless. I mean, the website clearly states that this product's "Flatlock seam construction eliminates chafing." You know, for your chest balls.

brotheral
02-06-2012, 07:20
It costs a lot to run a business - I run one - costs include paying your employees a fair wage, handling their health care, proper insurance - including liability and worker's compensation --- after all this is paid, you have to service your equipment, pay for marketing, office expenses and so forth - THEN, you can get to the discussion regarding what the raw materials cost and how much a fair profit is. Doing business PROPERLY is expensive - this is why I support good companies -- so, what do you mean by "actual cost?" Buying stuff made in China where they have no labor laws, insurance, fair wages, environmental (or other standards) effs us all over. Go ahead and do that - buy that shirt for $5 bucks - but THINK about why it's so cheap - if you're on a cheap budget, I'd suggest buying second hand, at the thrift store, at the yard sale, etc. way ahead of the easy way out which is Wallmart.
Didn't mean to Steam You Up Papa D... but 65.00 is outrageous. Retail clothing prices in general (with a few exceptions)are a joke anymore. They put a $ 60.00 price tag on a fleece jacket that REALLY should be retailing for maybe $30.00. Then it's advertised for 40% off (while supplies last). And people fall for this........ I agree with your comments, if people are doing business HONESTLY (Properly).
Take Care... BrotherAL

daddytwosticks
02-06-2012, 08:03
A simple thread asking about hiking t-shirts goes political? Grow up people...

Papa D
02-06-2012, 08:47
Didn't mean to Steam You Up Papa D... but 65.00 is outrageous. Retail clothing prices in general (with a few exceptions)are a joke anymore. They put a $ 60.00 price tag on a fleece jacket that REALLY should be retailing for maybe $30.00. Then it's advertised for 40% off (while supplies last). And people fall for this........ I agree with your comments, if people are doing business HONESTLY (Properly).
Take Care... BrotherAL

No worries - I'm not steamed up - I don't splurge on much - I live pretty low on the food chain so paying $65 bucks for a shirt that I'm going to wear for days and days on end doesn't bother me. Differently priced things bother different people - some people would buy a WallMart shirt but then spend $50 in one day on slack-packing and a shuttle to town. I'll carry my pack and hitch-hike in my nice shirt - - back to t-shirts - no politics. :p

rookiehiker
02-06-2012, 08:59

After looking around for a true sized 2x or larger shirt, I did a search online and found coolmax. Have you had any issues with their shirts?