PDA

View Full Version : What would you add to Trail Days ?

Mountain Dew
03-18-2005, 01:30
If you could add anything to Trail Days what would it be ? Notice i didn't say take out of Trail Days.
------------------------------

I'd have the Grand Marshal (s) of the parade be a distinguished member of the trail community every year. I'd like to see one of the following lead the parade in 2005.

1. Bob and Pat Peoples of Kincora
2. Gene Espy
3. The person with the most trail maintenance hours under their belt
4. The person with the most A.T. miles hiked
5. The youngest living plus the oldest living thru-hikers to date

:)

smokymtnsteve
03-18-2005, 01:34
hassle-free smoking area :banana

Jack Tarlin
03-18-2005, 01:42
Dew:

I like most of your ideas.

*As to folks who should be leading the parade: I'd wait til next year for Bob and Pat, as next year (2006) will be Kincora's tenth hiker season, as they first started taking care of hikers in the spring of '97..... Actually, I think Bob and Pat are qualified to lead the parade EVERY year, but I'll settle for their tenth anniversary.

*Honoring the maintainers is always a good idea.

*As far as most miles hiked, I'm positive Seiko, who is a very modest, unassuming guy, would not be interested.

*You left out someone significant. The Grand Marshal position should be occupied by someone who is universally known and respected in the hiking community, and it should be someone who loves the Trail, loves the folks who hike it, and most of all, has a sense of humor and spirit that ensures that their leading the Hiker Parade would not only be fitting, but also, a whole lot of fun.

I hereby nominate Miss Janet!

Mountain Dew
03-18-2005, 01:52
Smokey Mtn. Steve.......You can smoke just about anywhere now can't you ? :-?

Jack, Although i did think about mentioning her i decided not to do this for one simple reason. Time. Although few would deny her greatness and her popularity on the trail she is relatively new. Like a great slugger who has lead the league in many catergories his first 5 seasons in the bigs it's still too early to mention her/his name with the greats. Give her time ...give her time....

Jack Tarlin
03-18-2005, 01:59
I guess by that reasoning Dew, we don't have to take anything you say seriously for either five more years, or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first!

Thank you for pointing this out!

smokymtnsteve
03-18-2005, 02:18
Smokey Mtn. Steve.......You can smoke just about anywhere now can't you ? :-?

note that I said a "HASSLE FREE" smoking area...and not just for me ..I gotta lot of friends.

Mountain Dew
03-18-2005, 02:19
I'm not sure what you're reading, but I basically called her a great new addition to the A.T. If she talks in her sleep I'd take it seriously. She's my favorite Texan living out of country. lol Since you are at her house I'm gonna call her right now and tell her to turn down your Springstein music so you can concentrate and comprehend brother. ;)

Jack Tarlin
03-18-2005, 02:43
Hey Hudson, you're the best, but for around the ninth time.......I'm not sure which church the big guy regularly attends (if any), but I don't think he's one of the Chosen People.

It's SpringSTEEN, baldy, not STEIN.

Oh, and he's not a Southern Baptist, either.

Mountain Dew
03-18-2005, 02:50
Smokey Steve...are you saying smoke as in cig's or smoke as in uuhhh well ...yeah ? I think I missed your meaning the first time around here. hahahahaahaaa I get ya now. :clap

Mountain Dew
03-18-2005, 02:52
I knew you'd catch that Jack. hahahahaaaa :datz Too funny

smokymtnsteve
03-18-2005, 02:55
well..duh...

03-18-2005, 12:55
My addition:

Trail only acsess. :jump

Lone Wolf
03-18-2005, 12:56
I don't care what Dew says. I'm leading the parade on my Harley flying the Blue-Blaze banner.

slingblade
03-18-2005, 15:08
You got my vote Wolf--SlingBlade

hikerjohnd
03-18-2005, 15:17
What is that?

smokymtnsteve
03-18-2005, 15:24
My addition:

yep I can understand that.

Hyway
03-18-2005, 15:38
a wet T-Shirt contest?

Nightwalker
03-18-2005, 16:32
What is that?
It means that you can only get to Trail Days via the trail. Never happen. :D

03-18-2005, 17:09
It was in jest (kind of). I know it will never happpen. But you have to have dream. :dance

Nightwalker
03-18-2005, 20:38
It was in jest (kind of). I know it will never happpen. But you have to have dream. :dance
Yeah, I know. I wish that more folks realized that about 50% of what was said here was in fun. There'd certainly be a lot less flame-wars.

The funniest one that I've seen was some sub-20-year-old kid breaking bad on someone for playing a bit over something he'd said. I'd met this kid. He would have been bringing a lollipop to a bar-fight, and the other guy wasn't even serious in the first place. :)

Lion King
03-21-2005, 19:22
edited so I aint Snivlin'

I still dont see the need for an army of police there..never really understood why they needed it in the first place.

Camping by the river again by The Mill...ahh the good old days,

one major thing has been remedied...Talent Show Now On Saturday! yipppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Where are you Wolf?

Im outside of Franklin....back to Wallace Gap mon yana

SGT Rock
03-21-2005, 19:27
The cops were fine. They acted very professionally. If you don't see why they were needed, it may mean they did their job well.

smokymtnsteve
03-21-2005, 20:03
dem cops da didn't bother me :D

Hyway
03-21-2005, 20:20
The chief of police camp by our campsite and ate some of our oysters with us. We were all drinking alcohol from cups and nalgene bottles, but he didn't seem to mind. It didn't even bother him when I opologized for not having any donuts.

We did have one cop sieze a bottle of tequila and pour it out, but thats all he did. he didn't even arrest the girl who only got one shot from it before he poured it out who went a bit ballistic on him.

Nightwalker
03-22-2005, 01:05
Please excuse a dumb question, but is all camping in or around town fee-based? Is there a shelter nearby?

grrickar
03-22-2005, 02:20
When is Trail Days this year? (sorry if this is a newbie question, I've never been). I'm planning a trip from Damascus to Erwin in May.

Tha Wookie
03-22-2005, 02:29
I'd like to see:

* a mud-rasslin' pit
* bongo competitions right next to Billeville
* campsites without men carrying guns and badges and bright flashlights (although I have to admit the cops were pleasant, albiet uneeded in such a mass concentration)
* camping back next to the pool
* hiker's decathalon
* tug of war between purists and blueblazers (practical joke waiting to happen)

gardenville
03-23-2005, 14:09
Is there a web site for Trail Days this year? Thanks

SGT Rock
03-23-2005, 14:11
Look in the calendar, I put a link to the site under the dates, I can't remember off the top of my head what it is.