PDA

View Full Version : Burningtown Gap to Winding Stair

Waterbuffalo
02-05-2012, 13:26
Going therough here in 2 weeks anybody know of any issues water wise along the route? Also is the road closed to Wayah bald still?

Thx WB

wornoutboots
02-05-2012, 13:36
I was thru there @ 3 weeks ago, plenty of h2o. The road to Wayah was closed at that time but I don't know if this is for the whole Winter season or dependent on the current weather

BR549
02-05-2012, 16:27
Wow. I was planning a day hike to or from Wayah Bald in a month. I'm glad I saw this thread. Any info on when the road to Wayah Bald will open would be great.

daddytwosticks
02-05-2012, 19:07
It's been wet around these parts lately. Shouldn't have any water worries. :)

generoll
02-05-2012, 21:55
I believe that the Nantahala Ranger District locks the gates on all of it's roads until about March 15. Call them to verify.

Waterbuffalo
02-06-2012, 22:00
I also heard the road is cosed to March 15 or so which is fine with me. Thanks for the great info.WB

Waterbuffalo
02-11-2012, 17:42
Anybody know how big the campsite is at .5 miles north of Wayah tower is and is it a good site or should I plan to camp at the shelter I'm gonna have 3 in my group and all of us will be tenting since we really don't like shelters

wornoutboots
02-12-2012, 16:55
If i remember correctly there are a few sites up there to choose from where another local trail crosses the AT.

Seatbelt
02-14-2012, 14:14
Anybody know how big the campsite is at .5 miles north of Wayah tower is and is it a good site or should I plan to camp at the shelter I'm gonna have 3 in my group and all of us will be tenting since we really don't like shelters

The tenting at the shelter is not so good, better at the junction where the shelter trail leaves the AT; Also, the shelter trail is to the east of the AT and a side trail goes to the west, the sign is a little confusing--several have went the wrong way before realizing it. The shelter is a fairly nice one as shelters go--FYI. Have a great hike!