PDA

View Full Version : 2012 SOBO noob gear list/questions...

kidchill
02-05-2012, 14:29
Hey, I'm planning a 2012 SOBO hike starting the first week of July. I live and hike in central PA, but I've never done any long distance hiking (usually speed-dayhiking up to 15miles). I'm starting to figure out gear and before I purchase anything I'd like to get some feedback. Also, I'm trying to acquire my gear as early as possible to test and train with. So far I have a list of what I consider the major items (the big four plus food prep/water).

Tent- Tarptent Moment weighs in at 30oz. I've read reviews and they said the stakes sucked, I thought about purchasing MSR ground hogs (0.5 oz/piece)...Also, do you think I need a footprint for this? Considering this is my home for close to 6 months I'll do whatever I can to protect it.

Sleeping bag- A little torn here! W. Mountaineering Summerlite 32deg bag at 19oz or Zpack 30deg bag at 14.5 oz....I like the full length zipper on the WM bag more, and I don't know why, but I'm leaning more towards the WM bag even though it's 5oz more. I guess I'm not convinced of the quality of the zpack bag...Ideas?

Pad-Thermarest Prolite at 16oz...I'm seriously at a loss on this piece of equipment. I DO want to be comfy when I sleep, but I really don't want to carry more than a 1lb pad. I saw this on clearance and read some strong reviews. I'll take any suggestions on this...My only concern with this pad is if it gets punctured, I'm on the ground.

Food/Water-AquaMira (3.5oz), 1.8-2L platypus bladder (~3oz), MSR microrocket (2.6oz), Snow peak mini solo kit (5.5oz), titanium spork (0.6oz), bic lighter (min), mag stick (~1oz), 32oz gatorade bottle (?oz) I know I can cut weight with an alc. stove, but I feel more comfy with the rocket (I'll also be cooking at least 2 meals a day so I'm not sure how worth it the alch stove is for me).

That's what I would like to purchase so far. I'm looking at packs now, primarily the ULA's are getting the most of my attention. The plan is to get all of my gear together first and then see what volume and what weight I'll need to carry. What I have listed so far weighs in at 5lbs. (doesn't include ~8oz for fuel for the microrocket)...The plan is creature comforts less then 4lbs and clothes/extra shoes less then 4lbs. (with 2lb pack puts me right around 15lbs base weight)...I'm also missing misc items like paracord, dry-sacs, small knife, headlight, DEET, mosquito net, first aid, etc. I'm gonna work on the misc items and clothing this week. Any recommendations on the gear I've selected, or anything I'm gonna be getting is greatly appreciated!

Blissful
02-05-2012, 15:16
You're gonna need tie outs with the tent as its not freestanding and there are lots of tent platforms in New England. I found in wind they weren't that great. But it depends on the tent design.
You'd probably be ok with the 32 degree (I hear WM is a great bag), you can always throw in a silk liner if needed. But you will need a warmer sleeping bag down south by late October for sure
I loved my neo air and I got a gossamer gear thin pad to go under it to protect it. No issues
Pocket rocket a good stove. You can't "cook" on an alcohol. All you can can do is boil water, essentially. If that's the only thing you plan to do, alcohol may work
ULA catalyst is a great pack

Good start so far. I left July 1 at Katahdin on my SOBO pursuit

Storm
02-05-2012, 17:59
I have a tarptent moment and it is freestanding if you use the extra pole. Have had it out in some pretty high winds, (January in Ohio), and have had no problems. The heads of the stakes did come off a few times when I first got them, I put some JD weld on them and haven't had a problem since.

RyanK817
02-05-2012, 20:48
I was SOBO last year, had a 30* bag, and most nights till around October I was pretty toasty, even with the zipper open. If I had it to do over, I'd have looked at a 40* bag. You'll have to get a warmer bag farther south anyway, so you might want to consider a "cooler" bag for the first few months.

For the sleeping pad, I don't know if you're committed to a self-inflating, but you should definitely check out Thermarest's new NeoAir XLite. I haven't seen one myself, but it only weighs 12 oz, and if it's anything like the other NeoAirs, it should be solid. Some people dislike the idea of inflating/deflating their pad every day, but for me it was totally worth the extra comfort.

And you're right, I'd definitely take a footprint along. You definitely want to take care of your home, and that would minimize the risk of puncturing your sleeping pad.

TOMP
02-11-2012, 16:58
I would look into making a bug bivy, you could even make the bottom tyvek or sil-nylon and top no-see ums. So this would serve the purpose of a footprint and bug protection in one for only a few extra ounces.

kidchill
02-12-2012, 07:47
Is this necessary considering I'll be in a tent? That was kind of the whole purpose of going tent vs tarp...I like the added critter/bug protection ;) I'm probably gonna start ordering gear today and will update this list as I'm starting to look closer into clothing for the journey...

Firefighter503
02-12-2012, 08:01
I am guessing that you are referring to the bug bivy that TOMP was talking about. If you are taking a tent, you won't need the bug bivy. Check out www.geargrams.com to keep track of what you are buying and how much it weighs. Also makes it easy to share with us for comments/suggestions.

TOMP
02-12-2012, 11:58
I read you had a tarp tent, so they usually dont provide thier own bug protection. Usually no bottom either. But if it does then nevermind. I would still consider it though, because you could use it for bug protection if you want to sleep in shelters and it still works as a footprint.

Sassafras Lass
02-13-2012, 00:16
I'm looking at packs now, primarily the ULA's are getting the most of my attention.

Dern tootin'!

I heard tons of wonderful things about ULA packs . . . . finally bought a Circuit . . . . . and they really do live up to the hype. Plus 100% American!

kidchill
02-13-2012, 11:32
I read you had a tarp tent, so they usually dont provide thier own bug protection. Usually no bottom either. But if it does then nevermind. I would still consider it though, because you could use it for bug protection if you want to sleep in shelters and it still works as a footprint.

Tarp tent is the brand name... It's a 1person UL tent so I shouldn't need the netting, except for my face! Bugs are the one thing that I'm not looking forward to!

Blissful
02-13-2012, 11:43
I'd look at Heartfire's tents. Some good designs there too.

http://lightheartgear.com/

I did take a head net and 100% deet. Pyrethrin your clothes