PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain to Neels Gap

get wayaway
02-05-2012, 14:41
I'm looking at doing Springer Mountain to Neels Gap in March.  How does this sound for an itinerary - 4 days, three nights:

Springer Mountain to Hawk Mountain Shelter
Hawk Mountain Shelter to Gooch Gap Shelter
Gootch Cap Shelter to Woody Gap
Woody Gap to Neels Gap
I've done a lot of hiking, not much recently in the mountains, but quite a bit in the Shawnee National Forest where there are some fairly high hills.

I'll be carrying a tent, so I can vary the schedule if space is tight at any of the areas.  I'd appreciate any comments you all might provide!

Chummin' for Bear
02-05-2012, 15:26
Looks like a very good plan. Should have days of 7.6 miles, 7.3 miles, 6.4 miles, and 9.2 miles. The last day will be the longest and hardest with the Blood Mountain climb just before Neels Gap. Not easy, but you can do it!

brian039
02-05-2012, 15:29
Pretty much what I did when I started from Springer on my thru-hike except I stayed at Woods Hole Shelter instead of Woody Gap. Woody Gap gets a lot of traffic so you'll probably want to hike a bit farther to camp. I'd consider Woods Hole Shelter, it's in a really nice location and that 0.5 miles off the trail is flat and honestly feels more like 0.2 miles. There's good camping practically everywhere along this section so if you just want to hike and end up where you end up, that would not be a chore at all. This is really an easy section by AT standards, GA doesn't start getting too tough until you get to Unicoi Gap. Probably the toughest thing about this section is going down Blood Mountain if it's wet or icy. Sassafras, Hawk, and Blood Mountain are the only climbs worth mentioning and they are all over with pretty quick and will give you a decent work-out. I think that's a fine pace and will leave you a few hours of daylight at the end of the day and plenty of time for breaks. Bring a book or something to entertain you so you don't get bored in camp.

jesse
02-05-2012, 16:49
I camped at Woody Gap. Not bad. Its on Hwy 60, but not much traffic at night. I camped North of the hwy, up the hill. I would recommend camping there if that is where the milage/time works out. I don't remember there being a suitable camping spot near there. There is an indoor latrine, water, and trash. There will be campers at all the sites in March. Have fun.

ChinMusic
02-05-2012, 20:02
I'm looking at doing Springer Mountain to Neels Gap in March.  How does this sound for an itinerary - 4 days, three nights:

Springer Mountain to Hawk Mountain Shelter
Hawk Mountain Shelter to Gooch Gap Shelter
Gootch Cap Shelter to Woody Gap
Woody Gap to Neels Gap

You have a pretty standard itinerary for this section. One thing to think about about it extending day 3 and dry camping on Big Cedar. Weather permitting. Great views.

RyanK817
02-05-2012, 20:33
Should be a great trip. I did the same stretch last month, and the only advice I would give is to see if you can avoid staying at Gooch Gap Shelter. When I got there someone had recently written in the register that there was some super-mice there, and they struck again that night. One chewed up the mouth piece on my water bladder, and another one climbed up the bear line in the driving rain and chewed a hole in my waterproof stuff sack to get at my food. You may well not have the same experience I did, but like Brian said, there's plenty of tenting all along the way, and I'd definitely recommend considering that. The traffic that time of year may require you to anyway. Good hiking!

moytoy
02-07-2012, 07:07
The age old question. How are you getting to Springer Mtn? You say 4 days, with no time alotted for getting to the top of the Mtn. I'm assuming you are getting a ride to Big Stamp Gap. You will have a great time. It's a sweet hike!

get wayaway
02-07-2012, 07:35
The age old question. How are you getting to Springer Mtn? You say 4 days, with no time alotted for getting to the top of the Mtn. I'm assuming you are getting a ride to Big Stamp Gap. You will have a great time. It's a sweet hike!

I'm getting dropped off at FS road 42. Not hiking the approach trail.

bigcranky
02-07-2012, 08:28
You will likely keep hiking at Woody Gap and spend the night at Woods Hole, given how short the hike from Gooch > Woody is. Otherwise it's a good plan.

mgeiger
02-07-2012, 09:46
Looks good. I'm doing this hike with my wife and some friends in April. I wish I had enough spare vacation to stretch it to 4 days and take in more of it. In prep, I've been doing pieces of this hike, to "preview"- see water sources, tent sites and get in shape. Our plan is to tent, possibly near shelters. I've been moused before and I was not happy. If Woods Hole up Blood is the hardest part (looking at elev profiles, it is).... I'm feeling pretty good for a flabby middle aged guy with a desk job.

I know its a popular section to do. I enjoy reading others' experiences and suggestions.

max patch
02-07-2012, 11:08
You will likely keep hiking at Woody Gap and spend the night at Woods Hole, given how short the hike from Gooch > Woody is. Otherwise it's a good plan.

Agree. If you can do a 10 mile day on the last day no way you'll be ready to stop at Woody. In addition to Woods Hole there is good water and campsites about 3 miles N of Woody.

The section from Springer to Hawk is the easisest 8 mile section in GA so you can take care of your shuttle and get a later than normal start and still make Hawk with no worries.

max patch
02-07-2012, 11:08

Agree. If you can do a 10 mile day on the last day no way you'll be ready to stop at Woody. In addition to Woods Hole there is good water and campsites about 3 miles N of Woody.

The section from Springer to Hawk is the easisest 8 mile section in GA so you can take care of your shuttle and get a later than normal start and still make Hawk with no worries.

PalmettoGirl
02-07-2012, 19:54
Hubby and I are hiking this section soon. Maybe we'll see some of you there! We won't be relying on shelters because we have a tent but would like to be near water MOST of the time. Our first plan is......
(No approach trail - late afternoon start)
Springer to Stover Creek Shelter
Stover Creek Shelter to Justus Creek
Justus Creek to Lance Creek
Lance Creek to Neels Gap
Would love thoughts on this.... Any insight??

FatMan
02-08-2012, 12:57
My two cents because I hate crowded shelters (and they will be because March is prime silly season), and you have plenty of time built into your schedule for enjoying your campsites.

Day one: Springer to Hickory Flats Cemetery. It is a short day so be sure to go to Long Creek Falls and hang out for awhile and get your water for the night. It is only a short distance from Long Creek Falls to the side road that gets you to cemetery. There is a nice pavilion and privy. Lots of old gravesites to checkout. It is just a neat place to overnight.

Day two: Hickory Flats to Blackwell Creek. There is a wonderful camping area between where the trail crosses Blackwell Creek and the old AT crossing. To get to the camping area go left on the old jeep road a couple hundred yds past the AT creek crossing. You will need to push through some low hanging Rhodies but once through the roadbed opens up. Just follow a couple hundred yards and you will see the large level area down at the creek. The creek will be running strong in March so you will fall asleep to the sounds of rushing water.

This is a very short distance to the Gooch Mtn Shelter so if you want to get a feel for the social aspect of the thru-hiking season head up there late in the afternoon and check it out. It is less than a ten minute walk to the shelter from the campsite.

Day three: Blackwell to Preacher's Rock atop Big Cedar Mtn. Preachers Rock is a Blue Blaze right just before you begin the descent down Big Cedar. If a weekend night be sure to get there early as this is very popular with the locals and beautiful place to spend the night. The only downside is you will need to carry your water from Woody Gap for the night.

Day four: Finish at Neels Gap. Plan on lunch atop Blood Mtn.

MDFastPack
02-08-2012, 15:29
My wife and I will be doing the same hike but including the approach trail. Starting April 1st!

get wayaway
02-08-2012, 19:50
My two cents because I hate crowded shelters (and they will be because March is prime silly season), and you have plenty of time built into your schedule for enjoying your campsites.

Day one: Springer to Hickory Flats Cemetery. It is a short day so be sure to go to Long Creek Falls and hang out for awhile and get your water for the night. It is only a short distance from Long Creek Falls to the side road that gets you to cemetery. There is a nice pavilion and privy. Lots of old gravesites to checkout. It is just a neat place to overnight.

Day two: Hickory Flats to Blackwell Creek. There is a wonderful camping area between where the trail crosses Blackwell Creek and the old AT crossing. To get to the camping area go left on the old jeep road a couple hundred yds past the AT creek crossing. You will need to push through some low hanging Rhodies but once through the roadbed opens up. Just follow a couple hundred yards and you will see the large level area down at the creek. The creek will be running strong in March so you will fall asleep to the sounds of rushing water.

This is a very short distance to the Gooch Mtn Shelter so if you want to get a feel for the social aspect of the thru-hiking season head up there late in the afternoon and check it out. It is less than a ten minute walk to the shelter from the campsite.

Day three: Blackwell to Preacher's Rock atop Big Cedar Mtn. Preachers Rock is a Blue Blaze right just before you begin the descent down Big Cedar. If a weekend night be sure to get there early as this is very popular with the locals and beautiful place to spend the night. The only downside is you will need to carry your water from Woody Gap for the night.

Day four: Finish at Neels Gap. Plan on lunch atop Blood Mtn.

Thanks for the alternate itinerary! I'm looking for some down time for myself as well as a feel for the thru-hiker experience. Hope to do the whole trail in 2013.

PalmettoGirl
02-08-2012, 19:59
Thank you FatMan. Sounds like a beautiful hike. Will be sure to post the final when we're back!