PDA

View Full Version : Pick me apart... help with my gear list

Brock
03-18-2005, 04:15
Ok, I have the majority of my gear, and was just wondering what thoughts others had.
Pick me apart (please be kind :D )
Sleep

Tarptent Squall - 35 oz
North Face Trinity 20 degree bag - 3 lbs. 3 oz (heavy I know, but I've owned it for years and not looking to replace)
Thermarest Z-lite sleeping pad - 15 oz
Hiking

REI Ultralite poles - 1 lbs 4 oz
Kelty Coyote 4750 backpack - 5lbs 8 oz
REI Duck's Back Rain Cover
Eating

Trangia Mimi alcohol stove with cookpot lid/plate - 11.5 oz - (any one know if the cookpot is big enough? seems awfully small at only 3 - 4 cups [i believe that is the size])
Plastic fuel bottle (16 fl oz) (any suggestions??? I still need to buy)
Cheap metal fork
Other

Mini Mag lite (no spare batteries needed)
Energizer LED Head beam + 3 spare AAA batteries
Biodegradable Pack soap
Cabela's Gore Tex hiking boots (very broken in with new insoles)
Sandals (for camp shoes, fording water and possibly some hiking in)
Repel 100 (bugspray)
Bug head net
lighter & matches
food sack (note that food is not listed since it is dependant on the selection available on the trail)
clothes sack
extra ziploc bags (plus some of my clothes get packed in them to start)
extra garbage bags (for trash and any emergency waterproofing needed)
rope (I think I have 50' of nylon [heavy] rope, any other suggestions? too much rope?)
Toiletries

small tube toothpaste (still need to find... no store sell the small ones anymore)
toothbrush
toilet paper (1 roll)
hand sanitizer (easier than soap and water)
Nail clippers
First Aid

Compeed blister patches
Ibuprofen (a few tablets)
Asprin (a few tablets)
Bandaids (assorted sizes)
Sterile pads
Neosporin
Imodium AD (a few tablets)
Tums (a few tablets)
Sew needle & thread
Antihistamine (a few tablets)
Camera

Digital camera
extra memory sticks
spare battery (this one uses non-standard batteries)
battery charger
Fortunately, the batteries and charger are fairly compact and light. I'm hoping to charge in town. The camera is a very important feature for my hike.
Journals, money, etc

cash
credit card
debit card
phone card
health insurance info
REI membership card (for on trail purchases)
Personal contact info like friends/family addresses and phone numbers
Playing cards (do I really have time to play Solitare?)
Small 5 Star notebook
AT Maps (only immediate area... friends/family will mail the rest later)
Possibly a small floral/animal book
Compass
Swiss Army Pocket Knife
Small trowel shovel
Clothes
- I'm a little worried about my cold weather wear, so advice would be nice.

Columbia Convertable pants (zip off into shorts)
Long sleeve Duofold Varitherm (good for sleeping)
Long underwear (Still need to buy, plan on same Duofold Varitherm)
Long sleeve Starter zip turtleneck shirt (good for hiking in)
Columbia nylon jacket
Rain pants (still need to get, or not get, you tell me)
2 Fitness Gear hydro-DRi t-shirts (one for trail, one for town)
2 pair of polyester underwear
1 pair cotton underwear (for towns and sleeping)
2 pair Smartwool Expedition Trekking socks (might get 1 more pair at the outfitters on the trail)
2 bandanas
Bucket hat (great to use with bug head net)
Winter hat (I own a fleece, but am considering a balaclava hat)
Mittens/cutoff finger polyprene gloves (great for having exposed finger and wet hands)
It has been suggested that I get a heavy fleece. Any suggestions that aren't too outrageously priced?
Water

Hydration pack (I think it is 1 liter)
Platypus bag (again, I think 1 liter)
96 oz wide mouth Nalgene bag
Nalgene plastic bottle
Aqua Mira (where can I find these??? still need to buy)
I usually like to hike with the Hydration pack filled and maybe some extra water in the Platypus bag depending on when I expect to hit more water next. I plan on using all the bags/bottles at night to help reduce trips to the water source.
Well, that's my list. I can't believe all this stuff fits into my pack. I believe I have it down to almost the bare essentials but I'm sure some of you will say "you don't need that" or "hey dummy what about this essential tool you forgot". Go ahead, that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks. And maybe you'll now recognize me on the trail. I'll be the one with all that gear above huffing and puffing my out of shape butt up the mountain.

Now I'm just rambling, but the time is nearing and I can't wait to get out on the trail. Dancing bananas for everyone. :banana

kncats
03-18-2005, 08:45
Kelty Coyote 4750 backpack - 5lbs 8 oz - This is a bit on the heavy and large size.
Trangia Mini alcohol stove with cookpot lid/plate - 11.5 oz - My wife and I together use a 2 liter pot. We use 2 cups each for dinner (on average) plus 16 ounces hot water for tea each.
Plastic fuel bottle (16 fl oz) - Use a plastic soda bottle.
Rope (I think I have 50' of nylon [heavy] rope - You don't really need anything that could be defined as "heavy"
small tube toothpaste (still need to find... no store sell the small ones anymore) - I don't what stores are availabale in your area, but around here both Wally World and Target both have a large selection of "travel sizes" for soap, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.
toilet paper (1 roll) - Not only heavier than what you need but also bulky. Save a half roll when one gets that low to start out with.
REI membership card (for on trail purchases) - You don't need your card, just write your membership number down somewhere. One less thing to have to worry about losing.
Small trowel shovel - Dig a hole with your hiking poles or a stick.
Hydration pack, Platypus bag,96 oz wide mouth Nalgene bag - You can get a 4 liter bag that only weighs a couple ounces from Platypus or MSR. Don't really need all 3 of these. Four liters should be enough to cover most water resupplies, just fill it as mush as needed to get the next source.
Nalgene plastic bottle - Plastic soda bottles weigh next to nothing, are free after you drink the contents, nearly indestructible and easily replaceable. I like to carry something in addition to my water bladder if not using hydration tube.
Cold Weather Gear - Depends on hiking dates and what your definition of cold weather is.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

Just Jeff
03-18-2005, 09:03
Kelty Coyote 4750 backpack - 5lbs 8 oz - EEK!

Trangia Mimi alcohol stove with cookpot lid/plate - 11.5 oz - I use a 1L pot. It can be small depending on what I'm cooking, but it's sufficient. Or you can buy the Walmart Grease Pot for $6. I think it's about 1.3L or so.

Plastic fuel bottle (16 fl oz) - Use a 20 oz water bottle...wrap 10' of duct tape around it to mark it so you don't confuse it with water.

lighter & matches - Put the matches in a small ziplock with a handful of dryer lint for emergencies. It weighs all of .5 oz and could save your life if you need to start a fire in the rain.
extra garbage bags - Get the "contractor grade" bags from Walmart or Lowe's. They're thick enough to rip down the sides and use as an emergency ground cloth for several days, and you don't have to worry about them snagging as much as a normal kitchen bag.

rope - 30' should be enough. I use 550-cord (parachute cord). You can take the inner core out to use for repairs if you need to. Learn how to daisy chain it.

Hydration pack, Platypus bag, Nalgene bag - Pick one. I use a 3L Platypus and two 20 oz water bottles.

Nalgene plastic bottle - Use plastic water bottles instead...cheaper and lighter. Nalgene makes .5L widemouth bottles that can be good for soaking food so you save fuel, though...I haven't found a soda bottle that's good for soaking food.

Aqua Mira - www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com). I think www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com), too.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Doctari
03-18-2005, 09:44
Most carry a spoon, not a lot of need for a fork as most of your food is dried, the best way to dry something is to make it small, something dried & rehydrated usually is (mostly) soup like.
Re "garbage bags" I use trash compactor bags, they stand up to almost anything. They are however, becoming harder to find, at least in Cinti.
Small tube toothpaste (still need to find... no store sell the small ones anymore) Check at: Big Lots, Drug stores, Dollar stores. OR: use baking soda, I keep mine in a zip lock.
Rope (I think I have 50' of nylon [heavy] rope, any other suggestions? too much rope?) Parachute cord, avalable at most army surlus stores, in black or white, sometimes OD green or tan.

Remember, anything you refer to as "Heavy" at home will feel 2 to 3 times heavier on the trail. Be prepared to send some of it home, even some ot the stuff "we" don't mention. Usually by the time you reach Dick's creek gap (Or even Neel's gap) you will have an idea of what is working & what isn't, if it isn't; SEND IT HOME!
However, if it works for you, keep it no matter what anyone else says, and there will be people who critisize every piece of gear, they mean well, usually :)

Doctari.

hikerjohnd
03-18-2005, 09:51
Re "garbage bags" I use trash compactor bags, they stand up to almost anything. They are however, becoming harder to find, at least in Cinti.
One alternative to compactor bags (as I could not find any here either) is the "Contractor" trashbags from Home Depot. They are about 3 times as thick as a regular trash bag and are very durable (and huge!). I use one to line my internal frame pack and it works great!

Alligator
03-18-2005, 11:38
If it's the mini Trangia 28--pot, fry pan lid, stand, grip--I'm almost positive the pot is .9l. I have this and it is just right for one hiker. The only food that I would worry about cooking is pasta. It can be difficult to cook pasta (like regular spaghetti) in a small pot because there is generally not enough room for the pasta and water. I find that the water tends to get very starchy and this leads to scorching. I think this is a very minor problem with an alcohol stove though because the lower heat output (vs. gas) reduces scorch risk. Just stir frequently and add water if needed. The little fry pan lid is awesome as it is nonstick.

If you use a bounce box, you can bounce the charger.

Your clothes list needs some work, it's unbalanced IMO. You are planning on five shirts: three long sleeve shirts (long underwear, sleeping, and hiking) and two t-shirts. A long underwear top and a fleece would be good for camp. Then maybe a t-shirt and long sleeve for hiking. This is more related to how warm you hike. As for pants, you plan on long underwear, convertibles, and maybe rain pants. If it rains and you don't have rain pants, your convertibles will get wet and you will only have your long underwear. If you bring all three, your convertibles will probably still get wet, as most folks tend to put rain pants on last when it rains, I know I do or they will get sweaty beneath the rain pants. So you are pretty much stuck with wet convertible pants. Suggestion, quick-drying shorts, long underwear, and rain pants. Even better is to buy long underwear that is reasonably acceptable to wear by itself, i.e not a union suit (you know the one with the hatch):) .

Try Campmor or Sierra Trading Post for a reasonably priced fleece. If you can afford it though, a down or synthetic jacket (polarguard, PL1) will be warmer on an ounce for ounce basis. Both will take up less pack space too.

YMMV-Clothing will get many different suggestions as the combinations are quite varied. Search responses to other people's gear lists for a range of opinions.

SGT Rock
03-18-2005, 11:57
Ok, I have the majority of my gear, and was just wondering what thoughts others had.
Pick me apart (please be kind :D )
Sleep

Tarptent Squall - 35 oz
North Face Trinity 20 degree bag - 3 lbs. 3 oz (heavy I know, but I've owned it for years and not looking to replace)
Thermarest Z-lite sleeping pad - 15 oz
Hiking

REI Ultralite poles - 1 lbs 4 oz
Kelty Coyote 4750 backpack - 5lbs 8 oz
REI Duck's Back Rain Cover
Sounds like a heavy pack for 4750cc

Eating

Trangia Mimi alcohol stove with cookpot lid/plate - 11.5 oz - (any one know if the cookpot is big enough? seems awfully small at only 3 - 4 cups [i believe that is the size])
Plastic fuel bottle (16 fl oz) (any suggestions??? I still need to buy)
Cheap metal fork

Sounds like a good sized pot to me. Get a 16 ounc soda bottle for fuel. I would also replace the metal fork with a plastic spoon.

Other

Mini Mag lite (no spare batteries needed)
Energizer LED Head beam + 3 spare AAA batteries
Biodegradable Pack soap
Cabela's Gore Tex hiking boots (very broken in with new insoles)
Sandals (for camp shoes, fording water and possibly some hiking in)
Repel 100 (bugspray)
Bug head net
lighter & matches
food sack (note that food is not listed since it is dependant on the selection available on the trail)
clothes sack
extra ziploc bags (plus some of my clothes get packed in them to start)
extra garbage bags (for trash and any emergency waterproofing needed)
rope (I think I have 50' of nylon [heavy] rope, any other suggestions? too much rope?)

Don't carry a mini mag and a headlamp, you only need one. You don't need the bug spray and net at the start unless you are doing a SOBO or are starting at a wierd time/place. 50' or rops should be fine, except I think you need nylon cord. The first 30' are mostly all you need, but the other 20' can be hacked off as needed for repairs. Watch carrying too many zip-locks and trash bags, they do add up. I reccomend on or two trash compactor bags -they last a long time.

Toiletries

small tube toothpaste (still need to find... no store sell the small ones anymore)
Look in a vending machine at a hotel, they often have these. Some hotels also have complementary ones at the desk if you ask and are staying there

toothbrush
toilet paper (1 roll)
Here is a trick, get a new roll and put it in a 1/2 gallon zip lock, then pull the cardboard tube up and out of the center. The roll will now feed from the center and it will pack smaller.

hand sanitizer (easier than soap and water)
Nail clippers
First Aid

Compeed blister patches
Ibuprofen (a few tablets)
Asprin (a few tablets)
Bandaids (assorted sizes)
Sterile pads
Neosporin
Imodium AD (a few tablets)
Tums (a few tablets)
Sew needle & thread
Antihistamine (a few tablets)
Camera

Digital camera
extra memory sticks
spare battery (this one uses non-standard batteries)
battery charger
Fortunately, the batteries and charger are fairly compact and light. I'm hoping to charge in town. The camera is a very important feature for my hike.
Journals, money, etc

cash
credit card
debit card
phone card
health insurance info
REI membership card (for on trail purchases)
Personal contact info like friends/family addresses and phone numbers
Playing cards (do I really have time to play Solitare?)
Small 5 Star notebook
AT Maps (only immediate area... friends/family will mail the rest later)
Possibly a small floral/animal book
Compass
Swiss Army Pocket Knife
if you have a good knife, you won't need the nail clippers

Small trowel shovel
get rid of the shovel. USe a stick or tent pin

Clothes
- I'm a little worried about my cold weather wear, so advice would be nice.

Columbia Convertable pants (zip off into shorts)
Long sleeve Duofold Varitherm (good for sleeping)
Long underwear (Still need to buy, plan on same Duofold Varitherm)
Long sleeve Starter zip turtleneck shirt (good for hiking in)
Columbia nylon jacket
Rain pants (still need to get, or not get, you tell me)
2 Fitness Gear hydro-DRi t-shirts (one for trail, one for town)
2 pair of polyester underwear
1 pair cotton underwear (for towns and sleeping)
My opinion: shorts, t-shirt short, t-shirt long, long underwear, 2 pair underwear (non-cotton), maybe a fleece top, rain jacket, rain pants, 3 pair non-cotton socks. Cotton in your pack can still absorb moisture and mildew during the day while it is in your pack. Just have some light synthetics that can change. It sounds like you are planning for too much clothing IMO.

2 pair Smartwool Expedition Trekking socks (might get 1 more pair at the outfitters on the trail)
2 bandanas
Bucket hat (great to use with bug head net)
Winter hat (I own a fleece, but am considering a balaclava hat)
Mittens/cutoff finger polyprene gloves (great for having exposed finger and wet hands)
It has been suggested that I get a heavy fleece. Any suggestions that aren't too outrageously priced?
Water

Hydration pack (I think it is 1 liter)
Platypus bag (again, I think 1 liter)
96 oz wide mouth Nalgene bag
Nalgene plastic bottle
This isn't a desert hike.The 96 oz bag for camp and a nalgen bottle for walking is enough.

Aqua Mira (where can I find these??? still need to buy)
I usually like to hike with the Hydration pack filled and maybe some extra water in the Platypus bag depending on when I expect to hit more water next. I plan on using all the bags/bottles at night to help reduce trips to the water source.

Brock
03-18-2005, 11:57
Thanks for all your suggestions... here is my reply:

I already have owned my pack for a couple of years, so I'm not going to buy a new one. I am stuck with the Kelty until I pitch it on the trail in a fit of rage and have to buy a new one. (btw that was the advertised weight, not the true weight)

Rope - my rope needs work... i'm going to see whats available at the Walmart.

Shovel - I think the trowel will be left home.

Nalgene bottle - I already own this, so no sense in keeping it home. Sure a soda bottle would work too, but not for hot liquids like tea. I plan on using this for tea or hot cocco plus I may get sick of always drinking out of a hydration pack.

As for my Trangia stove, thanks for your personal review of the pot and lid. I do like the idea of the lid serving as a plate too. I was just worried about the volume and you seem to have addressed those concerns. I will still prepare some meals at home for practice and make sure it is big enough.

Fork - now going to carry only a spoon

Trash bags - I will take a look at compactor bags

Clothes (early april for a thruhike) - obviously some stuff will be mailed home during warmer months. I agree that my legs need work, but I am confident that my convertable pants will dry quickly as they are very thin and made with some Hydra dri material or some crap like that. I wonder if the Duofold Varitherms will be warm enough, especially when I wear only those... maybe need to take it to the Expedition level? As for rain pants, please give me some more insight and suggestions. I think I may just breakdown and buy a good fleece and maybe leave one of my upper body items at home.

Hydration pack (I think it is 1 liter) - necessity
Platypus bag (again, I think 1 liter) - fill during the day to hike with extra water
96 oz wide mouth Nalgene bag - for at night to refill bags in the morning
Nalgene plastic bottle - as stated above, for hot liquids and personal comfort
I do not think I am overkill on the number of water bags I am taking. Some people talk about taking a 2.5 gallon bag for use at night. Tell me your thoughts.

SGT Rock
03-18-2005, 12:10
Platypus bag (again, I think 1 liter) - fill during the day to hike with extra water
I do not think I am overkill on the number of water bags I am taking. Some people talk about taking a 2.5 gallon bag for use at night. Tell me your thoughts.
Again, just my opinion based on my experiences:

I usually only need a liter at a time. Since you are already carrying a nalgen that meets that, why not just drink out of it isntead of adding a hydration system? Just carry it in an easy to access place. Now you may think that it is't that easy, but a little 550 cord and a mini-bineer can make that happen for a lighter weight penalty than another hydration system. Also, hydration systems seem like a nice idea, but sometimes the hose on a pack is more hassel over the long run than it may appear.

On the other hand, if you are sold on needing a hydration system, then your strategy of the nalgen isn't needed. You plan is to use it for hot liquids, well then get an insulated plastic mug that is lighter and will keep your hot beverages hot for longer.

As to camp. My experience is I can fill both my water containers when I hit camp at night (100oz + 32oz) and this is enough water for dinner (16 oz), tea (16oz), clean up (8oz), coffee in the morning (16oz), breakfast (8oz), and second clean up (4oz) plus give me a quart to hydrate at night and another quart to hydrate before leaving camp (64oz). And I think I am fairly liberal with water using this system, that is a lot of coffee and tea! I doubt you will need 6 liters of water.

The Solemates
03-18-2005, 12:20
I often carry a 2 L Platypus as my sole water carrying system. Drink out of it along the trail. Use it as a reservoir for camp meals. I filter water when I get to camp for supper. Filter again at night for breakfast in the morning and for drinking while hiking the next day. I never carry more than 0.5-1L while on the trail. Plenty of water on the AT.

hikerjohnd
03-18-2005, 12:26
It does seem like a lot of filling/refilling. I personally like the hydration system - I fashioned my own long before the days of camelback. I have added a hose with a spigot for using my bladder around camp. I think you'll find that a bladder for hiking and a bottle for camp will be quite sufficient.

Alligator
03-18-2005, 12:51
Rain gear-Frogg Toggs.

I carry a titanium sierra cup 1.9oz ~$16.00. That's half the weight of a nalgene and I can fix hot drinks independent of my pot, and cook sides of instant rice, small soups, or couscous separately. But most thrus don't carry a camp cup. I cook far more often than most, with frequent hot beverages.

The Trangia lid/fry pan has low sides and is small as a plate (like a side plate). You can't stack a lot of food in it. But it will work as a plate. Make that a lexan spoon though so that you don't scratch the nonstick.

I've heard several opinons that rain pants with the Varitherms are warm enough. But my expedition weights only weigh 6.3 oz and are very warm, so thats what I bring.

My opinion: shorts, t-shirt short, t-shirt long, long underwear, 2 pair underwear (non-cotton), maybe a fleece top, rain jacket, rain pants, 3 pair non-cotton socks.
Pretty much exactly what I bring out in spring. Sub either a PL1 vest or a polarguard Jacket for the fleece. Always hat a gloves. Maybe one less pair of underwear if going commando in my swim trunks:cool: .

Panzer1
03-18-2005, 15:37
"rope (I think I have 50' of nylon [heavy] rope, any other suggestions? too much rope?)"

I used 25 feet of 4 mm nylon cord from REI.. total weight 2.9 oz.
Its cheep, very strong, compared to rope its very light.
cost - 20 cents a foot

Note: I found the 3mm cord was to small to handle.

good for clothes line, hanging food bag, ect.
But you don't need any "rope".

Panzer

SGT Rock
03-18-2005, 15:56
"rope (I think I have 50' of nylon [heavy] rope, any other suggestions? too much rope?)"

I used 25 feet of 4 mm nylon cord from REI.. total weight 2.9 oz.
Its cheep, very strong, compared to rope its very light.
cost - 20 cents a foot

Note: I found the 3mm cord was to small to handle.

good for clothes line, hanging food bag, ect.
But you don't need any "rope".

Panzer

http://www.thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=xx102&subcat=Roll+Goods

This is what I use for my bear bag and emergency cord. It is about the same weight but it is 3mm cord. I have found it to work well, and since it reflects, it is easy to find with your headlamp in low light or high in the trees.

Panzer1
03-18-2005, 17:05
have you considered using a "bounce box" to put some of these things in. Like the recharger and extra batteries, bug head net(until it is needed),..Repel 100 (bugspray),garbage bags, extra ziplocks..

Panzer

Panzer1
03-18-2005, 17:11
I don't really know if this is true or not but I have heard that "soap and water" is more sanatary then just "hand sanitizer" because the water actually flushes away the germs.

as far as "Biodegradable Pack soap" is concerned, I just use regular bar soap. I save the bar soap from my bathroom at home when the bars get small, that way I never have to carry a full size bar of soap. You can put several of these small bar soaps in a bounce box, along with half rolls of toilet paper that I also save from my bathroom at home.

I don't need a full roll of toilet paper. You can also augment your toilet paper by saving extra napkins when you stop at restaurants along the trail. A full roll of toilet paper can take up a lot of space in your pack.

Panzer

lumpy
03-18-2005, 22:17
My first post here. I didn't see any responses regarding water filtration equipment or purifiers. You definitely need some kind of water treatment, whether it be a Katadyn filtration system or MSR purifier or iodine tablets. I use two 1 liter wide mouth nalgene bottles and a 3 liter Stearns bladder for water (I fill the bladder up just before I pitch camp and attach a tube adapter for bleeding and trail showers). Duct tape is a must for emergency repairs and blisters, and get some parachute cord as suggested above. Also a waterproof stuff sack for the food and an extra one for clothes or whatever (very little extra weight). Since I'm environmentally conscience, I use biodegradable soap. Also you can find the small toothpaste tubes and shampoo etc.. in the travel section of any named grocery store. Forget the clippers as suggested and use a small knife or multitool or your teeth. Other than that, don't forget some kind of a pot scrubber.

schwenkler
03-19-2005, 00:13
lumpy: Maybe you don't mean it literally, but saying someone NEEDs this, or the other thing is a MUST, is not the best way to give advice and let them hike their own hike. I go without water purification, without duct tape, and without parachute cord (but they are definitely items to consider bringing along).

On the other hand, I wouldn't go without a small set of nail clippers because there's no way I could cut my toenails with a knife or my teeth.

Nameless
03-19-2005, 01:59
On the REI UL trekking poles...

DONT get them, I LOVE REI gear, but these poles have some design flaws to work out. If you end up pulling a section completely out on accident (not to hard to do) and then reinsert it the tightening parts are stripped on the inside for some reson, and the poles will no longer tighten and hold their legnth. I have found that on many poles I checked in the store, and are switching back to my Komperdell compacts (if you look at the pole the straps say komperdell, so i am surprized they are not the quality of my komperdells)

Pink

lumpy
03-19-2005, 11:52
Schwenkler, you're right, I shouldn't impress any need on anyone, I was simply trying to express what I take with me in relation to his list. Although I have yet to thru-hike the AT (hopefully next year) I was speaking from over 30 years of experience hiking throughout the U.S., Canada, and Europe. These are some items on MY gear list that I always carry with me and was only trying to relate that info. Other than that, I'll stick by using a multitool or small Swiss Army knife to trim my nails, as far as teeth go, it was joke!