PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pad? Need ideas.....

nawlunz
02-05-2012, 18:03
Over the last two years, I have used the Neo Air and Kookabay custom...both very comfortable...range 16-18 ounces.
I love them both...but, since I will be out on trial over three weeks, still not comfortable with possible punctures..but, have a repair kit, so OK with that.

But, with my pack under my feet in my tent, I now longer need a full length pad...I want to chop a few ounces...any thoughts on a 3/4 length sleeping pad that is: 1) comfortable [i am 57 yo :)] ; good R factor, although, I will primarily use it for july/august in the high sierras, and 3) Durable.

Does a pad exist with those characteristics?

swjohnsey
02-05-2012, 19:20
Over the last two years, I have used the Neo Air and Kookabay custom...both very comfortable...range 16-18 ounces.
I love them both...but, since I will be out on trial over three weeks, still not comfortable with possible punctures..but, have a repair kit, so OK with that.

But, with my pack under my feet in my tent, I now longer need a full length pad...I want to chop a few ounces...any thoughts on a 3/4 length sleeping pad that is: 1) comfortable [i am 57 yo :)] ; good R factor, although, I will primarily use it for july/august in the high sierras, and 3) Durable.

Does a pad exist with those characteristics?

Yes. . . . . .

Del Q
02-05-2012, 21:27
Neo Air is pretty tough to beat, light, packs small..............

swjohnsey
02-06-2012, 12:43
I already have a Prolite Small that weighs 11 oz. I'm considering if it is worth the $130 or so for the NeoAir XLite that is 3 oz lighter and R 3.2 instead of 2.2.

Tinker
02-06-2012, 13:15
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/0/E9747A9C9CD626BCC1256F2B00296698

The short one, maybe: Your legs may dangle off the end, meaning you'll have to put some items in your pack to hold your legs up.

I don't know anything about these, really, except that they offer a high loft insulated short pad.

For any air pad I would recommend a closed cell foam backup pad, at least torso length where pressure against the ground is highest, to minimize punctures. Gossamer Gear makes (or markets, at least) a very thin pad which may prevent some punctures, and in the event of a puncture would offer at least a minimum of comfort and insulation until you can patch the leak in the daylight. Doing anything requiring good vision is harder by headlamp.

Nutbrown
02-06-2012, 17:19
there is a guy on youtube that cut and sealed his neo air pad. Took balls, but he got a 3/4 neo air in the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY