PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Pants and Shorts

mattydt20
03-18-2005, 08:13
I'm looking to buy a pair of lightweight quick drying shorts and a pair of water repellant quick drying pants. I realize that you can get pairs around the 4-5 ounce range for upwards of 80 bucks, but I was looking for suggestions that won't break the bank. The pants would only be used as camp pants, the shorts for hiking in.

Right now I have a pair of convertible pants that weigh 13.4 ounces, with the shorts weighing 8.5 ounces.

Thanks for the help!

Alligator
03-18-2005, 08:43
Swim trunks. I have a pair that I hike in that are basic navy. Some keep the liner, some remove. I took mine out as it seemed to cause chafing. Camp pants I use a pair of microfleece long johns from MEC. They weigh 6.3 oz.

Tim Rich
03-18-2005, 08:50
I'm looking to buy a pair of lightweight quick drying shorts and a pair of water repellant quick drying pants. I realize that you can get pairs around the 4-5 ounce range for upwards of 80 bucks, but I was looking for suggestions that won't break the bank. The pants would only be used as camp pants, the shorts for hiking in.

Right now I have a pair of convertible pants that weigh 13.4 ounces, with the shorts weighing 8.5 ounces.

Thanks for the help!

I'll put in a vote on swim trunks as well. I picked up a pair late last summer at Kohls for about $6 - the exact same ones are already on sale there for $10 the other weekend. As far as camp pants go, if it's warm many times I'll stay in my shorts until they dry out from my body heat, and then I'll change into some light or midweight long underwear if it's cooler.

Doctari
03-18-2005, 09:04
I third the swim trunks vote. Be sure to read the label, some are still made of / with cotton. The pair I swim in at home are cotton, well 60/40 Poly/Cotton, they do NOT dry while I am wearing them. I'm one that removes the liner, never did like it.

Doctari.

Peaks
03-18-2005, 09:52
My summer attire is typically "sport shorts" with built in liner. The only long pants that I pack along for trail hiking (no off trail bush wacking) is Frogg Toggs rain pants.

BookBurner
03-19-2005, 21:13
For lightweight hiking shorts, check out running shorts with a built-in liner. Beware of swimming trunks if you plan on doing repeated days of 12-13+ miles. Swimming trunk liners are not made to handle continuous rubbing and can really work a good chafe on your downstairs. Running shorts, on the other hand, generally have a tight-weaved, smooth liner that is designed specifically to avoid chub-rub.

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Nightwalker
03-20-2005, 00:45
For lightweight hiking shorts, check out running shorts with a built-in liner. Beware of swimming trunks if you plan on doing repeated days of 12-13+ miles. Swimming trunk liners are not made to handle continuous rubbing and can really work a good chafe on your downstairs. Running shorts, on the other hand, generally have a tight-weaved, smooth liner that is designed specifically to avoid chub-rub.

-- BookBurner
Where do you find your running shorts? Any sporting goods store, I guess. I've always used Starter coach's shorts, which have a silky liner and work really well. Unfortunately, the NBA-style, ultra-loose shorts are in this year, and those just don't work.

Whistler
03-20-2005, 12:50
Where do you find your running shorts?

I'm not sure what you have in your area, but I've always had good luck at discount places like Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx, Value City, etc. You can find shorts and shirts by Nike, New Balance, Brooks, Reebok, Asics, et al., sometimes as low as $6-8 a pair.
-Mark

Newb
03-20-2005, 13:43
Thank god for the internet. I picked up a pair of Amphi-pants on sale for 52.00 the other day. I like convertible pants. Call me crazy.

PKH
03-20-2005, 16:01
River shorts from MEC are an excellent buy.

Cheers,

PKH