PDA

View Full Version : Best bag for the start of the AT in the $200-$275 price range?

SCGamecock
02-06-2012, 12:24
Best bag for the start of the AT in the $200-$275 price range?
Temp range?
Price?

max patch
02-06-2012, 12:58
It would be helpful to know when you will be using this bag.

If thru hiking are you using this one bag the entire trip?

Or are you starting now and will swap out a cold weather bag for a summer bag in VA?

Obviously, the answer depends if you are using it this weekend or 3 months from now.

steveinator
02-06-2012, 13:03
I'm reppin the marmot sawtooth membrane 15* bag. Not sure if its the BEST bag, but I'm about to find out if it gets the job done.

SCGamecock
02-06-2012, 13:16
Starting March 2013
Will swap out bag for warm weather bag

Tinker
02-06-2012, 13:52
Whatever is light, filled with quality down, fits, and is on salel.

That's how I've gotten some good deals on Golite and Montbell bags.

Fifteen degrees to start in March, Twenty in April (assuming you mean hiking NOBO).

The above temperature recommendation is based on the bag being accurately rated and the user being dry, hydrated, and well-fed (as well as not being a notoriously cold sleeper).

Wearing extra insulation in a bag with interior room helps to push it below its minimum rating. A tight fitting bag prevents you from layering inside. A bag that's too loose will allow cold spots inside wherever there is an air gap between your body and the bag's insulation.

Tinker
02-06-2012, 13:53
I'm reppin the marmot sawtooth membrane 15* bag. Not sure if its the BEST bag, but I'm about to find out if it gets the job done.

Membrain will hold some moisture in the bag, since it's not as breathable as basic nylon or polyester.

TOMP
02-06-2012, 14:29
After original planing to bring a 0 degree synthetic bag (about 4 lbs) I decided to spring for the new thermarest haven 20 topbag. I got it for 175 dollars (shipping and tax free) and its 22 oz and a down bag. I love it but its not for everyone because it is designed to work in combination with a sleeping pad of some sort and has no zipper. For the weight and comfort I can work with the original yet odd setup. I am starting March 12th.

tuswm
02-08-2012, 15:46
I love the marmot bags. the never summer 0* if you are a cold sleeper is a $200 down bag and its warm. the saw tooth is the 15* version also down and around $200