PDA

View Full Version : When starting at the Approach Trail...

Rangerman40
02-06-2012, 15:44
Is it more typical to stay at Springer Mtn. Shelter or go on to Stover Creek? I know it highly depends on fitness level ect, but what is the "norm"?I have been trying to get my mileage down for my upcoming section and these two shelters seem so close together I am not sure which one to pick.

ChinMusic
02-06-2012, 15:48
Go 50-70% of the distance you are comfortable with in the beginning. Don't think "bust out of the gate".

edit: Missed where you said "section hike". How many days and how far you planning? What is a comfortable day for you on the AT?

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2012, 15:57
I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to that question, but I don't see how it matters. Another option would be to stay at Black Gap shelter, near the end of the approach trail.

And as for not being sure which one to pick, that decision is usually much easier after hiking a few hours than while sitting around trying to decide.

Rangerman40
02-06-2012, 16:00
I am starting Sunday April 15 and plan to hike for 8 days. I would love to make it to the GA/NC line, but at the very least I am shooting for Dicks Creek so I have a convenient place to start next time. As far as what is a comfortable day for me on the AT I have no idea. Never been on it before.

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2012, 16:08
I am starting Sunday April 15 and plan to hike for 8 days. I would love to make it to the GA/NC line, but at the very least I am shooting for Dicks Creek so I have a convenient place to start next time. As far as what is a comfortable day for me on the AT I have no idea. Never been on it before.Don't be surprised if you don't feel like hiking past Black Gap shelter. And if you force yourself too much in the early days it can really make you a bad trip. Just take it easy.

HiKen2011
02-06-2012, 16:22
Stover creek shelter is an EASY stroll from Springer. Getting to Springer.......not as easy.

strollingalong
02-06-2012, 16:39
what's camping like on the way up Springer? Looks like there's camping on Frosty Mountain after 4.8 miles from Amicalola. Will probably start later on in the day and don't want to do that on a 8 mile uphill stretch on my first day out.

Shadowalker
02-06-2012, 16:47
Need help to find Info. on Transports to Amicalola Falls , ( Shuttles ) , from say , Alanta or Gainsville Ga. From Bus Stations , Train , Etc. , I did have names n Ph. No. of all the above , But was misplaced , Any help , Thanks !!

Tinker
02-06-2012, 17:47
I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to that question, but I don't see how it matters. Another option would be to stay at Black Gap shelter, near the end of the approach trail.

And as for not being sure which one to pick, that decision is usually much easier after hiking a few hours than while sitting around trying to decide.

Right as rain. Your body will be in a whole different place once it's off the seat in front of a computer and up the trail a few miles.

Take it easy. Don't fight the terrain. Listen to your body.

#1 Thing to remember: drink more than you think you need.

Tinker
02-06-2012, 17:49
Stover creek shelter is an EASY stroll from Springer. Getting to Springer.......not as easy.

That's exactly what Frosty and I did back in '06.

Day 1) Approach trail to Springer Mt. shelter.

Day 2) Springer Mt. Shelter - Stover Creek (no shelter there in '06 as far as I know).

FROSTY Mt. has a nice flat spot for camping. I don't remember what the water source was. We carried enough to get to Springer shelter.

Sierra Echo
02-06-2012, 18:21
Stover Creek shelter is a 100 times nicer and newer then Springer. And once you summit springer, its all down hill to Stover Creek.

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2012, 18:28
Day 2) Springer Mt. Shelter - Stover Creek (no shelter there in '06 as far as I know).
In 2006, the new shelter wasn't there, but the old one was, but it is a different location than the new one. But all-in-all it's basically the same distance from Springer.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/4/6/9/pict0009-med.jpg

rusty bumper
02-06-2012, 19:02
Last year I hiked the 8.8 mile approach trail to the Springer summit, enjoyed the thrill of that special place while signing in and taking photos at the start of my thru-hike, walked 1.5 miles on the AT north towards Katahdin, and then set up my tent in the woods for a wonderful first night on the trail.

moytoy
02-06-2012, 19:05
Make your decision when you get to Springer.
Starting April 15 on Sunday you may have competition for shelter space. If it were me I would plan on tenting. You can tent at Frosty Mtn. but water is iffy. Shelter or tent at Black Gap, good water. All is good at Springer and Stover Creek. I tent all the time so not so sure about the Shelter conditions.
Tinker gives you some good advice about hydrating. Once I was late leaving Fl and didn't arrive until 10:00 PM. I stayed in a farmers field(had his permission) halfway between AF and Dahlonega. During the day I was driving and forgot to drink water. The best I remember I was drinking coffee all day. Anyway, legs started cramping on the climb from Black Gap to Springer. I tented at Springer that night and sucked down water until I was blue!

Rangerman40
02-06-2012, 19:42
In the end it is only a four mile gap between the three shelters. Which one is nicer? Better water? Less of a history of bear issues? I have no doubt in my mind I can make it to Stover, but do I want to? I will be tenting the whole way, but want to stay in the vicinity of the shelters.

Slo-go'en
02-06-2012, 20:30
If you make it to the summit of Springer, going the extra distance to Stover isn't hard and I think it's a better spot.

Blissful
02-06-2012, 20:56
If you make it to the summit of Springer, going the extra distance to Stover isn't hard and I think it's a better spot.

Totally agree, its downhill and much nicer. I'd rather camp there by the bubbling creek, personally.

jesse
02-06-2012, 21:35
... Looks like there's camping on Frosty Mountain ...

Isn't there a FS road at Frosty Mtn? I think it was there we ran across car campers. Beer and whiskey bottles everywhere.

FarmRookie 2015
02-06-2012, 21:43
Yup. I was worried camping there for fear of late night drunks in cars. Didn't happen though.

max patch
02-06-2012, 21:54
Totally agree, its downhill and much nicer. I'd rather camp there by the bubbling creek, personally.

Ain't no bubbling creek anymore at the "new and improved" Stover Creek Shelter.

schnikel
02-06-2012, 22:17
A group of three of us started at the lodge and were planning on staying at Springer Shelter. We arrived at 12:30 if I remember correctly, so we continued on to Stover Creek Shelter. It is a really nice 2 story shelter.
That said, you'll know where to stop if you listen to your body. I was also doing a section hike and we took our time and still came out at Dicks Creek a day early. IMHO if you are in decent shape you should be able to get to Stover Creek if you are starting early in the morning.
Schnikel

Rangerman40
02-06-2012, 23:00
A group of three of us started at the lodge and were planning on staying at Springer Shelter. We arrived at 12:30 if I remember correctly, so we continued on to Stover Creek Shelter. It is a really nice 2 story shelter. That said, you'll know where to stop if you listen to your body. I was also doing a section hike and we took our time and still came out at Dicks Creek a day early. IMHO if you are in decent shape you should be able to get to Stover Creek if you are starting early in the morning.SchnikelI'm in as good of hiking shape as one can get hiking in Ohio..... Where do you tromp around the Buckeye state?

bigcranky
02-06-2012, 23:20
Depending on what time of year you go, the summit of Springer is a much nicer place to spend the night -- great views from the rocks, a nice open area for your tent, a good spring. Stover Creek Shelter is in the woods, and it's a nice shelter but it's just a shelter, one of many.

Tinker
02-07-2012, 12:53
That's exactly what Frosty and I did back in '06.

Day 1) Approach trail to Springer Mt. shelter.

FROSTY Mt. has a nice flat spot for camping. I don't remember what the water source was. We carried enough to get to Springer shelter.

Error report: I just took a glance at my Thruhiker's Companion. It was Justus Creek we stayed at the night after Springer (13.8 mi from Springer).

No wonder we didn't see a shelter :p (Thankfully, we weren't looking for, nor expecting to find, a shelter).

Prada
02-07-2012, 14:27
what's camping like on the way up Springer? Looks like there's camping on Frosty Mountain after 4.8 miles from Amicalola. Will probably start later on in the day and don't want to do that on a 8 mile uphill stretch on my first day out.

My husband and I found Frosty to be the first flat spot that looked "ok" for camping, but as an earlier post mentioned, there was evidence of LOTS of car camping, beer bottles, broken glass, etc. We had a snack and moved on. We made it to Springer that first day and tented near the shelter (after leaving from the falls), and need I say I was in much worse physical condition than I am now. For someone in good shape I feel that day's miles would be fairly easy. If I was doing that again I feel it would really depend on what time we left the Falls. We tent so we can stop when the stoppin is good. If you really don't want to go all the way to Springer then you could stay at Black Gap shelter. It's at 7.3 miles and there's water there. That last 1.5 miles to Springer was pretty much all straight up as I remember it. We did it in the dark, but I probably wouldn't say that was a good idea. If you have a tent and watch your water you can stop when you feel like it. We couldn't find the water on Frosty by the way but we didn't really look too hard.

Miner
02-07-2012, 17:37
Rather then limiting your mileage by a shelter location, just hike until your body feels like it might want to stop soon and pick the first decent spot big enough for your tent/tarp. After all, isn't this how most of the nation backpacks when rules don't restrict you to camping in just a few legal places.