PDA

View Full Version : Inflating Neoairs

dalemc
02-06-2012, 16:26
What is being used to inflate Neoair pads?

Singletrack
02-06-2012, 16:42
What is being used to inflate Neoair pads?
You have to blow them with your mouth. I think the 2012 version has some type of blow up gizmo. Looks like some type of bag.

Sandy of PA
02-06-2012, 17:16
I am using a Big Agnes pump sack. The sack that came with it has a plastic thing with a pretty sharp point on it. The BA attaches to the valve with an elastic cord and a toggle. The BA weighs 1.5ozs. and the Neo-air fits inside without any problems when deflated.

Megapixel
02-06-2012, 17:18
http://www.themillair.com/

instaflator works great, weighs next to nothing.

Kerosene
02-06-2012, 20:05
Everything weighs something. C'mon people, you just pulled yourself over 15 miles of mountainous terrain and you can't spare a few dozen breaths???

Blissful
02-06-2012, 21:13
I use my breath. It's good exercise for your lungs and helps you hike.

Blissful
02-06-2012, 21:13
Everything weighs something. C'mon people, you just pulled yourself over 15 miles of mountainous terrain and you can't spare a few dozen breaths???

If this was about car camping I'd understand.....

leaftye
02-06-2012, 21:14

Condensation is bad.

Del Q
02-06-2012, 22:22
I usually blow up my large NeoAir in two stages, a lot of hot air to blow into those to fill it up.

hunter121
02-06-2012, 23:37
That is a great site! I saw the information is very usefule!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif

Megapixel
02-06-2012, 23:56

I work hard all day, and i like to make camp easy and relaxing. This tool does the trick; unfortunately it's not multi-use. I find i get light headed inflating an air mattress with my lungs.... maybe because i use the large size neo.

1.5oz... probably less if you cut the bag size down some... which i've done with success.

Big Dawg
02-07-2012, 01:32
http://www.themillair.com/

instaflator works great, weighs next to nothing.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, because I can't get over the fact that I'll be spending $7.99 S&H for a $3.99 item.

DeerPath
02-07-2012, 09:32
I purchased the Millair at Leslie Pool Supply for $3.99.
However, the tube that attaches to the Neoair fits over the fluted valve and you loose the air between the fluts. I'm looking for a smaller tube that will attach without loosing th air in the Millair.

coach lou
02-07-2012, 09:46
I use my breath. It's good exercise for your lungs and helps you hike. This is why Marines sing when they run...increases lung capacity when you really need it.

Ender
02-07-2012, 10:22
I have the large NeoAir, and it takes on average 36 breaths (yes, I counted) to inflate it, so really not hard at all.

Kerosene
02-07-2012, 11:29
14 large breaths for my NeoAir shortie, but then I was a soccer player and singer so figure 18-20 for others.

Colter
02-07-2012, 13:30
It's a complete non-issue for me.

I set up my shelter, then lie back with my head propped up and simply exhale into the NeoAir. No need to hyperventilate with deep breaths and forceful exhalations.

It just takes a few minutes, works great, weighs nothing.

Keep it simple, keep it light.

moof53
02-07-2012, 15:13
Have a neoair classic and have used it in the High Sierra as well as the Grand Canyon. Not really difficult to inflate in either environment. Just for info go to the Thermarest site, http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/neoair-trekker/product because they have a little video about blowing them up "Using Your Neoair". They have a little tip making it easier but I haven't tried it yet. Basically, they put a few breaths into the pad, push the air to the bottom, and that is suppose to make finish blowing it up a little easier.

hikergurl
02-07-2012, 15:52
http://www.camp-tek.com/

microburst

Miner
02-07-2012, 17:50
To quote a thru-hiker who carried a huge Big-Agnus inflatible pad on the PCT, "Well, I figured I have to breathe anyway." If breathing is too difficult, maybe a foam pad would work better for some of you. :p

Nooga
02-07-2012, 18:06
What is the impact of putting moisture into the pad over the duration of a thru hike?

dshideler
02-07-2012, 18:40
Thermarest claims moisture has no effect on the neo air.

dalemc
02-09-2012, 13:11
Thanks for the responses. I should point out that I was considering moisture above all, not just laziness! The instaflator doesn't seem to weigh much.... anyone know where to get one without paying the $4 S&H? Seems like it may be worth trying.

Prada
02-09-2012, 13:27
You have to blow them with your mouth. I think the 2012 version has some type of blow up gizmo. Looks like some type of bag.

I just got the new 2012 version two weeks ago... the Large Neoair all season pad. It does come with a stuff sack that attaches to the pad to fill up the bag and squeeze into the pad. It's kind of like how people use trash bags full of air to blow them up. I tried it and it works, but takes more effort to do that than to blow it up with air yourself. Moisture from your breath isn't supposed to bother these so I figure it's worth it to me. If it messes it up I'll buy another one later on down the road. I don't want the hassle of carrying something else along but that's just me. BTW, I have asthma and I manage to blow it up just fine (even the large size). I've had it out a couple times since I got it and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Plus I'm usually the one that sets up camp so I blow up TWO of these (my husbands also). It's no sweat.

Colter
02-09-2012, 13:35
I should point out that I was considering moisture above all, not just laziness!...

That's fine, of course. But has it been a reported problem with NeoAirs? There's no "sponge" material inside. I have one and have never had an issue with moisture.

leaftye
02-09-2012, 14:19
That's fine, of course. But has it been a reported problem with NeoAirs? There's no "sponge" material inside. I have one and have never had an issue with moisture.

There doesn't have to be a sponge material inside for moisture to make a difference.