PDA

View Full Version : Taking it nice n slow

strollingalong
02-06-2012, 16:46
I'm really telling myself how much I must take it slooooowwwww the first few weeks on the trail, I hope I stick to my own advice.

I've learnt how quickly one can get injured recently. To be honest I'm glad for the lesson. And now will take it really slow until Neels Gap, there I can reassess weight and everything, the main idea is I don't want to sustain an injury early until I figure my body and gear out.

I know most people do it in 3 days. I don't mind carrying more food and an extra book in order to slow it down. How many days would be good from Amicalola to Neels taking it nice n slow n steady?

bgood360
02-06-2012, 16:51
On my plan, I've got myself leaving Amicalola Falls S.P. on February 29th and getting to Neels Gap four days later, on March 3rd. I say, Whatever works for you -- Maine (or whatever your goal is) isn't going anywhere, right?

marty1983
02-06-2012, 18:13
I have a similar game plan as you. I am starting at AFSP and then spending my first night at the Hiker Hostel between the state park and Springer. I am also looking at 3-4 days to Neels Gap. My start date is Feb 22, so maybe I will see you out there. Good luck and remember to take the approach trail slow and easy. I have heard it is pretty tough if your not in hiker shape. You will probably be in a lot of pain but just push through it and take your time, don't get caught up in the rat race and most importantly enjoy yourself! Take lots of pictures and remember it's not the destination; it's the journey!

Marty

Jim Adams
02-06-2012, 18:58
4-5 from Springer to Neels Gap...1st day Springer, 2nd day Hawk Mt., 3rd day Gooch Gap, 4th day Blood Mt. CAMPSITES, 5th night @ Neels Gap. This will be slow enough to start your body adjusting and you may still be sore with this schedule. Go even slower if you need to for avoiding injuries. In 2006 I met a guy @ Low Gap who had started from Springer 4 days prior. I warned him about going too fast and getting injured. He said his name was "Foot Pilot" and that he was in great condition and would be in the Smokies in 5 days.....7 days later he was hauled out of the Smokies with 2 blown out knees. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY YOUR HIKE....it's not a race.

geek

marty1983
02-06-2012, 19:47
How far is Low Gap from Springer?

TOMP
02-06-2012, 21:06
Im not saying anyone should be rushing but why not get into hiking shape prior to your arrival on the trail? Its only 30 miles or so to Neels Gap so I dont see it taking more than 3 days at a slow pace (10 miles per day). But I never been there before so we shall see. I heard the trail kicking people into shape but I just always imagined it was people who were not in good hiking shape to start. I enjoy running and hiking year round so I am usually in good shape, I just dont get why you would try to use a thru hike to get in shape. Its kinda like not studying for a test and hoping for an A+, possible but not advised. Of course you will get better the further along you go but why not start ready to tackle the trail.

Blissful
02-06-2012, 21:10
You can get to Neel Gap by Day 4 starting via the Approach.

BabySue
02-06-2012, 21:12
Marty, Springer to Low Gap shelter is 43.2 miles. See the fabulously helpful www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com).

leaftye
02-06-2012, 21:13
Im not saying anyone should be rushing but why not get into hiking shape prior to your arrival on the trail?

This is very much the way to go. I was in very bad shape when I tried to through, and it really took away from my ability to enjoy the trail, and contributed to an injury that forced me off the trail. I won't let that happen to me again.

strollingalong
02-06-2012, 22:00
Im not going to actually answer you but I'll happily lecture you. Live my hike, damnit.

At least he's forward about it

Jim Adams
02-06-2012, 22:09
I've never hit the trail in shape. I've found that if I have to "work out" to get into condition ahead of time, I am usually too bored with it all by the time to go. I would much more like to just go slow, walk into shape and enjoy the hike than try to work out ahead of time....that works for me, not necessarily good for everyone but I do believe that starting slow is good for everybody. The guy I mentioned above was an airline pilot and ran everyday and competed in marathons...didn't save his hike!

geek

Del Q
02-06-2012, 22:21
I learned this lesson the hard way, on my 1st section hike North from Boiling Springs, did a 15 mile day, with of course - too much gear and the wrong footwear.............sore with blisters the whole hike.

I average 12 miles over time................taking it easier the 1st day or two and dialing it up as I go works better for me. There are those days like you feel you can go on forever, getting that great 2nd wind late in the afternoon................other days you are just worn down.

Sadly, I have never experienced getting my "hiker legs" where 15+ mile days feel like 10 mile days. I do work out quite a bit and try to do a lot of hill work with a pack before each section hike, it helps but there is no way to duplicate the rigor of the AT day after day besides doing the AT day after day.

MJW155
02-07-2012, 00:14
Im not saying anyone should be rushing but why not get into hiking shape prior to your arrival on the trail? Its only 30 miles or so to Neels Gap so I dont see it taking more than 3 days at a slow pace (10 miles per day). But I never been there before so we shall see. I heard the trail kicking people into shape but I just always imagined it was people who were not in good hiking shape to start. I enjoy running and hiking year round so I am usually in good shape, I just dont get why you would try to use a thru hike to get in shape. Its kinda like not studying for a test and hoping for an A+, possible but not advised. Of course you will get better the further along you go but why not start ready to tackle the trail.

Not everyone can spend the time it takes to get into shape. I live in S. Florida. I live 14 miles inland. My elevation is 6'. LOL. You can only do so much on a treadmill.

I'm leaving April 4th and planning on taking 4 days minimum to Neels Gap. It's a 6 month journey so there's no rush to be pushing 15+ mile days.

leaftye
02-07-2012, 00:19
Not everyone can spend the time it takes to get into shape. I live in S. Florida. I live 14 miles inland. My elevation is 6'. LOL. You can only do so much on a treadmill.

I'm leaving April 4th and planning on taking 4 days minimum to Neels Gap. It's a 6 month journey so there's no rush to be pushing 15+ mile days.

You don't really need slopes to train. Almost all of my training is less than 10 miles at a time on flat ground without a pack. That was still enough to get me 24 miles on the only full day of my last hike, and that was with at least an hour break in the middle of the day, plus short breaks every hour or two. That said, when I train, my pace is nearly 4 mph.

Tinker
02-07-2012, 01:33
Marty, Springer to Low Gap shelter is 43.2 miles. See the fabulously helpful www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com).

Good site. Thanks for the link.

Tinker
02-07-2012, 01:35
I've never hit the trail in shape. I've found that if I have to "work out" to get into condition ahead of time, I am usually too bored with it all by the time to go. I would much more like to just go slow, walk into shape and enjoy the hike than try to work out ahead of time....that works for me, not necessarily good for everyone but I do believe that starting slow is good for everybody. The guy I mentioned above was an airline pilot and ran everyday and competed in marathons...didn't save his hike!

geek

I always hit the trail in shape - perfect shape! The most perfect shape in the universe is a sphere. ;)

TOMP
02-07-2012, 02:18

I dont know why you felt you had to make it look like I said something that I didnt but whatever you feel you need to do I guess. PS I did answer your question I think 3 days is taking it slow.

TOMP
02-07-2012, 02:34

See what happens when you ask a question to a forum is you get more than one answer. I say 3 days some say 4 days and im sure some people think 5 days. So why not take food for 5 days and if you get there in 3 or 4 just buy less food when you resupply.

strollingalong
02-07-2012, 14:41
I didn't ask for a lecture about being in shape. I'm recovering from an injury. 39 miles in 3 days is NOT taking it slow

Pony
02-07-2012, 14:52
I mastered the art of taking it slow. 7 weeks in virginia. 2 weeks in vermont. 2 weeks in nh, a month in maine. Unless you have some sort of time constraint, why hurry at all? I guess some people like to crank out big miles, but if I had my way, I'd drag a thru hike out into about 10 months.