PDA

View Full Version : underwear! To wear or not to wear...

traipse
02-06-2012, 20:13
What are the best undies for the trail?? I have seen a ton of different kinds; any suggestinos on what to get or what to stay away from?
--I have also read that people like to go commando? I don't think this is something I'm interested in...but any ideas?

Thanks!

Amanita
02-06-2012, 20:49
I just wear synthetic undies from target, jc penny's, or wherever I find them in normal shopping. I try to put on clean ones every 1-2 days on the trail to keep fresh and prevent UTIs or other nastiness. For comparison, my shorts get washed about once a week, so having clean undies really helps.

There are some brands that claim anti microbial action and such, but they seem pretty pricey ($20+ a pair). I find that anything thin, light, and synthetic that fits right (doesn't rub) works for me.

quilteresq
02-06-2012, 20:52
I like "Barely There" - I usually get them at Penny's or Bon Ton - our other local dept store.

Blissful
02-06-2012, 21:14
I've been using Barely There brand and like them very much

dink
02-06-2012, 21:41
men's silk boxers are nice and handwash easy and dry quick...plus you can wear them as shorts with nothing underneath to keep the private parts aired out. :)

Maren
02-06-2012, 21:51
I'm a fan of men's fitted boxer briefs. I get the shorter ones that come down just below the top of my thighs. No chafing and they double as shorts or swim bottoms.

TammyLynn
02-07-2012, 23:16
Here's my question...do you carry different underwear for that special monthly gift?

Slow n' Steady
02-11-2012, 09:31
I wear Barely There because they are so lightweight and easy to clean. I go downstream each evening, wash out my underwear, use it as a washcloth, then hang it to dry while I wear my other clean pair. I alternate just two pairs, and it works great.

jjimen16
02-12-2012, 02:40
Have you tried Ex-officio? They are VERY comfy and dry so fast. I dont even know how people can go commando without pants rubbing.

Slow n' Steady
02-12-2012, 10:29
Yes, I have a pair of Ex-officio, but I like Barely There better. Ex-officio takes longer to dry. I agree with you, jjimen16, that going commando is uncomfortable...especially if you wear a skirt, which I do. Try sitting on a log in a skirt, having lunch with a bunch of guys, going commando. I was in that situation and, after much leg crossing, I decided commando was not for me.

Nutbrown
02-12-2012, 12:42
I have exofficio...2 pair. They do take a while to dry, but I wash them each night and hang them on my pack while I'm walking. I go commando at night. I also bring some panty liners. Light and not a big deal to pack out. I have an IUD, so the monthly isn't a big deal, panty liners work fine. If I didn't have an IUD, I'd continue the bc if I were going on a long distance hike to rule out a period.

n1ck0l3man
02-29-2012, 15:03
I use of Ex-officio and carry liners. Most of the time I can get away without washing them for 2 days or so with the liners.