PDA

View Full Version : NOBO Gear vs. SOBO Gear

prain4u
02-06-2012, 20:37
Often, on WhiteBlaze, people will post their proposed "gear lists". Frequently, they will note whether they are Northbound (NOBO) or Southbound (SOBO).

I fully understand that hikers will probably encounter the different types of terrain and the different types of weather/insect conditions at DIFFERENT times in NOBO and SOBO hikes.

HOWEVER, is the OVERALL gear list really all that different between a NOBO hike and a SOBO hike (and if so--how is it different)?

(Please permit me to make one smart aleck comment to start things off: Hiking though a certain type of terrain--or hiking through a certain type of weather condition--requires the very same gear whether you are walking through those conditions North to South or South to North. I'm just sayin'....).

What do you thru hike experts have to say?

TOMP
02-06-2012, 21:20
I think its just about starting tempature differences, that would require different bags or clothing and nothing to do with terrain. Almost all NOBO starting in March have winter gear.

fiddlehead
02-06-2012, 21:52
I'd add a head net if SOBO. (unless it's after July 31)

Tinker
02-06-2012, 23:48
NOBOS start overloaded with insulative gear. SOBOS start overloaded with food for the Hundred mile wilderness. NOBOS that do the approach trail are in for a steep climb. SOBOS have the longest, steepest climb before they reach the starting point on Baxter Peak.
Georgia is a tougher hike than the first 78 miles of Maine (with the exception of Katahdin).

SOBOS get bugs right away.
NOBOS may have to wait a few weeks before they get bad (at least in the valleys).

The deep snow is usually long gone by late March for NOBOs (though a snowstorm with lasting accumulation is not at all out of the question), so if the streams are high, it will be caused by recent rains.
There may still be snow on Katahdin in June or early July for SOBOS, and the streams are usually still running high from snowmelt.
There are more stream crossings in the Hundred Mile Wilderness than in Georgia.
Pack accordingly.

Lastly, NOBOs have far more points where they can conveniently bail out in the first hundred miles (and more places to supply and exchange or dump gear (mail heavy or unnecessary stuff home).
SOBOs have to make do with what they carry into the Hundred Mile Wilderness until they get out of it (with the exception of consumables).

Btw: Who are you calling experts?? (I'm just a good guesser or lucky, and what I don't know, I make up ;)).