PDA

View Full Version : itching to get out and do some hiking.

elytis
02-06-2012, 22:45
Hey guys and gals,

So it has been about 4 months since my last hike. I am itching to get back out and do some hiking. So I was thinking of going out this weekend but have some concerns about winter hiking. For those who have gone winter hiking, is hiking in the cold that much more difficult? It has been a verry mild winter here in Connecticut but I am worried that when I get to a shelter that the water source will have frozen, how often has this happened to you? I have a zero degree Mountain Hardware Phantom sleeping bag...will that be enough to keep me warm at night?

Any other advice is always welcome.

RWheeler
02-06-2012, 22:57
Well I don't know what part of CT you're looking at, but there is a chance at snow this weekend, and temps staying below freezing all day Sat/Sun. It's going to be more typical of winter than whatever it is we've had the last two and a half months.

I'd suggest taking more than you think you'd need. Since you're only going out for a short hike (I'm assuming like 2 days?), then the weight won't be as much of an issue. Be prepared to bail in case it's more than you were expecting?

As for frozen water, that might be likely, but since it won't be getting below freezing until Friday night, the ice shouldn't be thick. You should be able to crack through it easily - but be prepared to burn some fuel to melt down some ice just in case?

russb
02-06-2012, 22:57
It can be (more difficult). There are certainly many factors to be aware of and have the knowledge/experience to overcome. Armed with the knowledge/experience it can be very enjoyable and even quite comfortable. Finding liquid water can be challenge depending on your destination. Snow can be melted for water but this means planning ahead and not just stopping to scoop up a cup from a bubbling stream. Staying hydrated in very important in winter, many forget that and are often dehydrated. Your bag may or may not be good enough. It depends on your destination and the conditions. A few weeks ago I was sleeping in -22*F temps in the adirondacks, this past weekend it was the positive teens at night. That is a major difference. If you have never done winter backpacking, I would suggest you join up with someone who is doing a winter trip so you can learn from them. I am bringing a new to winter hiker with me in 2 weeks. The temps will prolly get to the single digits at thwe coldest.

coach lou
02-06-2012, 23:13
I've been out 5 times since october. With this non-winter and all the rain the last few months most water sources are flowing strong and tuff to freeze. Make sure your pad is thick and take a good rain coat. Don't overdress for the walk. I also have seen a few ticks, so keep your eyes open for them. I have daffodils coming up already, and they don't watch Jeff Fox. So get out there before it's 105 like last spring. I'm sure you'll run into me or 'the Elf'. Have a good walk!