PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal, Va

C Seeker
02-06-2012, 23:11
I live in Front Royal and there is a group working withthe community to make the town more hiker friendly. I was wondering, those whohiked through the area any ideas on how to make the town more enjoyable?

I also would like to mention this 2012 upcoming hiker season that my familywill be opening up our yard (camping) to polite well behaved hikers. Whenhiking north out of SNP 3 miles passed Tom Floyd Shelter 0.4 before 522 youwill see a sign on the trail with a side trail heading to the house. I am alsowilling to provide rides when available to Winchester (larger town) where thereis a outfitter, if any hikers need any gear (Donations asked to pay for gas.)

dillard
02-07-2012, 01:43
That's pretty awesome your going to allow some hikers to use your yard this season! I really hope it goes well, you can be sure I will take you up on the offer.
:banana

As far as making the town more hiker friendly I really remember it being pretty hiker friendly when I was there last August. Good places to eat and resupply within easy walking distance of the hotels and the hotels had good rates. Getting a hitch into town was pretty easy as well.

Damaged
02-07-2012, 09:15
C Seeker, please advise if there are any plans for any hiker feeds this upcoming year. Teresa and I would gladly whip up some dishes.

ekeverette
02-07-2012, 10:52
i don't remember a side trail? after i passed tom floyd i went approx 1/2 mile came to a dirt road, then went about another mile came to 522.. this was in sept/11. i was going to take the dirt road to the left hoping it went to town, but chickened out... went on to 522 called taxi, which did'nt come.... finally hitched into town... where is this side trail again after tom floyd?

Sandy of PA
02-07-2012, 12:59
Will the trail be to my left or my right heading northbound?

Rain Man
02-07-2012, 13:46
i don't remember a side trail?

I hiked that stretch last year and remember walking right along some houses on the right, with a tall fence on the left (grown over with vines), as we approached 522.

Rain:sunMan

ekeverette
02-07-2012, 16:09
ok... i remember that, someone left a cooler with water. i know exactly where that is. is this where she's talking about using her yard?

bamboo bob
02-07-2012, 16:25
That is very nice of you. As far as the town of FR goes, I thought it was a hospitable town. The best thing they could do is Pick Up Hitchhiking hikers both going in or out of town.

C Seeker
02-07-2012, 23:03
ok... i remember that, someone left a cooler with water. i know exactly where that is. is this where she's talking about using her yard?

Yes that would be where my house it... When hiking north you will come out of the woods (for say) and walk along a fall fence on one side and the other being houses. The short side trail is on the right, during hiker season we normally have a water jug out for hikeres across from the water jug (on right) will be a small trail heading towards the house. We all work during the day but get home after work most night (5 or so)

Hikers are able to hang outside on porch and what not if no one is home or head to town and get what they need then come back for the night. Just a warning, we do have 3 dogs all friendly one a little to friendly...

chiefiepoo
02-07-2012, 23:37
I ended a section hike in FR in June 2010. I really liked the place and the people were good to me, an obvious hiker. I had time to get a haircut, grab breakfast and move on to the local coffee shop. Even got a friendly wave and smile from the local PD on patrol. The in town shuttle might need to have it's visibility raised, but if you just look around you can find it easily. I wish it would have taken me north as far as my hotel at the interstate interchange, but what's another mile or so after a section hike. I rode the early morning commuter shuttle from the park and ride lot all the way into DC for $15. I understand that the shuttle no longer runs. A public transportation link by bus or VRE would be an attraction that would benefit NB and SB section hikers.

Blissful
02-07-2012, 23:57
Thanks so much!!! What a great service to hikers.

lemon b
02-12-2012, 17:48
Always have liked Front Royal just as is, although haven't been there in awhile. Years back used to end up in Flint Hill with friends. Hitching that area was difficult.

fins1838
02-14-2012, 08:31
This is very nice of you. Will see you 1st week of May. Fins & wife.

swjohnsey
02-14-2012, 11:13
Yes that would be where my house it... When hiking north you will come out of the woods (for say) and walk along a fall fence on one side and the other being houses. The short side trail is on the right, during hiker season we normally have a water jug out for hikeres across from the water jug (on right) will be a small trail heading towards the house. We all work during the day but get home after work most night (5 or so)

Hikers are able to hang outside on porch and what not if no one is home or head to town and get what they need then come back for the night. Just a warning, we do have 3 dogs all friendly one a little to friendly...

Was there a sign that said something like "Pull up a log".

C Seeker
02-15-2012, 23:49
"Pull up a log and enjoy the view to get over the Virginia blues"

I pesonally will not be home April into May as i'm out hiking the trail but thier will be people home though.Just a FYI

MissMagnolia
10-30-2012, 11:31
I live in Front Royal and there is a group working withthe community to make the town more hiker friendly. I was wondering, those whohiked through the area any ideas on how to make the town more enjoyable?

I also would like to mention this 2012 upcoming hiker season that my familywill be opening up our yard (camping) to polite well behaved hikers. Whenhiking north out of SNP 3 miles passed Tom Floyd Shelter 0.4 before 522 youwill see a sign on the trail with a side trail heading to the house. I am alsowilling to provide rides when available to Winchester (larger town) where thereis a outfitter, if any hikers need any gear (Donations asked to pay for gas.)

Hi C Seeker,
My friend and I are hiking SOBO and plan to be near Front Royal possibly this weekend or Monday. Are you still making your yard available?

Thank you!
Carry-On

supersapper
11-01-2012, 12:51
Hi C Seeker,
My friend and I are hiking SOBO and plan to be near Front Royal possibly this weekend or Monday. Are you still making your yard available?

Thank you!
Carry-On
Hey MissMagnolia, if you dont get in touch with C seeker I can offer a ride to town or a place to camp. Im about 100 yards off the trail in the same neighborhood as C seeker. I have been worried about all the hikers in this weather and would like to help in any way I can.
Cheers, Rich #7033570499