PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Trail Handbook

yogi
02-06-2012, 23:56
It's finally finished! "Yogi's Colorado Trail Handbook" is now available. Similar to my PCT and CDT Handbooks, this Colorado Trail Handbook is a two-part book: a Planning Guide plus a Town Guide. Several previous CT hikers contributed their thoughts about many topics, ranging from general hiking topics to CT-specific topics. It's fresh off the presses and ready for you. Info is here: www.pcthandbook.com

Yogi

Cookerhiker
02-07-2012, 14:39
It's finally finished! "Yogi's Colorado Trail Handbook" is now available. Similar to my PCT and CDT Handbooks, this Colorado Trail Handbook is a two-part book: a Planning Guide plus a Town Guide. Several previous CT hikers contributed their thoughts about many topics, ranging from general hiking topics to CT-specific topics. It's fresh off the presses and ready for you. Info is here: www.pcthandbook.com (http://www.pcthandbook.com)

Yogi

Ah, you're 1 year too late.;)

jasonG
02-29-2012, 23:35
lol. better than never

moongoddess
03-01-2012, 13:07
Not too late for me! Thanks for creating this, Yogi; I'm finding it very helpful (along with Mag's great webpage on the trail).

Mags
03-01-2012, 13:28
Not too late for me! Thanks for creating this, Yogi; I'm finding it very helpful (along with Mag's great webpage on the trail).

Yogi does good work. If you are new to long hikes, here guide is esp useful!

bearcreek
03-03-2012, 21:07
I completed my fifth thru hike of the CT with my brother in 2007. We accomplished a couple of volunteer jobs along the way. We added about 350 trail markers to make the trail as easy to follow in reverse as it is going the other way, and we interviewed every hiker we met to gather information for The Colorado Trail Foundation. Most were going the other way towards Durango, so this was a good way to gather data. We ran into a number of experienced long distance hikers, including several triple crowners along the way and the one comment I heard frequently was that there wasn't much information about re-supply, towns, lodging and data such as that. Since the CT is almost entirely a volunteer driven trail, and there were lots of other things to worry about, putting the energy into that sort of publication had always been low on the list of priorities.

I am really happy now to learn that we will never have to do it. Yogi's guide does it in an extraordinarily thorough fashion. I recently obtained a copy of her new CT set and all I can say is wow! Just what was needed. Everything you need to know about food, lodging, re-supply is in the smaller book, and the planning book is also excellent. Many CT hikers are new to thru-hiking and this is their first long walk. It will undoubtedly help a lot of folks figure out how to prepare for, and have a great experience on the CT. Thank you Yogi!

BTW, the current President of the CTF board of directors hiked the trail in reverse last year and did the same sort of user survey - talked to hikers about their experiences. It's important for those who manage the CT for hikers to have a great time.

Please remember when you hike the trail that it is maintained by a huge group of dedicated volunteers and friends and financed by contributions from users such as yourselves.

Mountain Mike
03-03-2012, 21:52
If I knew she would become a rich & famous hiker I would have made her buy dinner in Sierra City! Thank you Yogi for making a whole lot of hikers lives easier!

double d
03-03-2012, 22:12
I'm hiking the CT this summer, just ordered CT Handbook!

Papa D
03-03-2012, 22:24
I just ordered it - still not sure if I'm doing the CT in July but it is a strong possibility

Lint
03-04-2012, 02:44
Yogi's books are excellent!

Mags
03-08-2012, 21:39
Just received my copy of Yogi's book today as well. Bear Creek (as usual!) is spot on his assessment of the book.

Perfect for planning and helping out people new to the experience of a long hike.

Definitely complements the info out there and fills a niche may people have been wishing for.

Good job! :)

double d
03-15-2012, 01:28
Yogi's books are very well made and informative, I'm hiking the CT this summer and Yogi's books along with the CT's data book will prepare anyone for their CT hike! The handbook also has a lot of helpful tips for long distance hiking, especially for newer folks to long distance hiking. As a former Colorado resident living in the flatlands of Northern Illinois, I can't wait to get back to the CT and drink some that filtered cow water!!!!

katerbrown
03-07-2015, 19:10
It is no longer available??????

Coffee
03-07-2015, 22:14
I don't see it on the website anymore ... that's too bad if it is out of print. I found it very useful on my CT thru hike last year.

bearcreek
03-08-2015, 09:52
I just received a update from Yogi on this. She is revising the book and hopes to have it out in time this season.