PDA

View Full Version : A pair of newbie hikers on a section hike - are we crazy??

MidlifeHiker
02-07-2012, 00:58
A friend and I plan to do our very first section hike the third week of April. We will spend one night at the Hike Inn and hope to make it to Franklin, NC in 8 days. It's a bucket list thing!! Are we crazy for trying to get that far? It would be a +/-13 mpd average. At a 2 mph speed it seems doable. We are both in good shape and have been doing a lot of research and reading about what to expect out there, but there is nothing like the real thing I'm sure. Of course as newbies, all of our equipment is new so we are definitely not going to appear to be trail vets - just hope we remember to take the price tags off of our stuff!! Any advice for first timers?? Any thoughts on the weather that time of year?

Tinker
02-07-2012, 01:19
If your boots or shoes are new get as many miles on them as you can before your hike. Use the socks you'll be hiking in. Go to your local indoor mall and do stair circuits with your backpacks on. Pin a message to the pack that says "Hikers in training" or something, so folks will think you are a little bit less crazy.

Astro
02-07-2012, 01:22
That is doable as long as your shoes/boots are broken in and your pack is not too heavy. I would start off easy and then build up as you go. Be sure to bring mole skin and ibuprofen, as that is what helped me make that section in about 9 days (3 different section hikes).

Stir Fry
02-07-2012, 01:49
I have done that section 3 times. 1st time pack was 64lb. 2ed was 38lb last time was 24lb. Best advice I could give you is keep the weight under 30lb. If its not stop at neel gap and the way and get the outfiter to do a shake down. Your back and feet will thank you. It will be nice that time of year. Nights should be cool and days nice.

Big Dawg
02-07-2012, 02:17
No,,, you're not crazy. Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Your mileage goals are realistic. As Stirfry said, lighten the load if possible. Also, make sure and have something like Bodyglide. Use it where you may chafe, like feet or groin. Take care of the chafe issues before they start and you'll be a happy camper. Most of all,,, have FUN!!

Wow,,, I remember my first newbie section hike in 2000 down at Springer. My pack weighed 85 lbs. Scary.

Barbarosa
02-07-2012, 02:20
Yea, definitely keep the pack light. That section of Trail is relatively hard. Take the time to pick Jeff's brain at the Hike Inn, he can tell you any current issues on the trail (water, bears, etc.) and particular sections of that stretch that will kick your butt.

BlackJack1
02-07-2012, 03:35
Next time it rains at night go in the backyard, set up your tent in the rain, replace the batteries in your light at night in the rain, use all your gear so it is not new when you get to the trail.

backtracker2
02-07-2012, 09:05
I agree with blackjack. If at all possible, take your gear out for a day or two. The less surprises you have out on the trail, the more you will be able to enjoy you hike.

hikerboy57
02-07-2012, 09:14
moleskin.tinkers right. if you've never hiked distance, those shoes that are comfortable after a mile or two may not be comfortable after 10 miles.just be prepared to treat blisters if necessary, and take care of "hot spots"right away. you dont want your hike to end after 2 days because your feet hurt.

RWheeler
02-07-2012, 09:50
Everyone was a newbie hiker at some point, so don't be discouraged by that fact!

I'm hoping that time of year for that section is nice - I'm starting my NOBO thru on April 24th, so I'll be a bit behind you in terms of days and miles.

I'd definitely recommend getting to know your gear now - set up your tent in darkness and in the rain, trust your rain gear to actually hold back the water, and not immediately act like sponges, practice cooking hiker meals now.

A great start for me was going to WalMart and actually shopping as if I were doing a complete resupply. Then I went home, repackaged everything, and threw it in my food bag to get an idea of what I was dealing with. Unless you're going with Mountain House meals, I'd suggest doing something of that nature, then practice cooking the meals. For example, a lot of the meals for backpacking require "boil for x minutes", but instead of wasting fuel, you can just take your pot off the fire, put it in a cozy, and essentially let it simmer in that cozy for a period of time. You don't want to overlook the meals, otherwise you won't have the energy to push through, and there's also the morale thing associated with meals. Just wanted to point that out :)

Chia Pet
02-07-2012, 10:02
I agree with everything that has been said (especially about keeping blisters at a minimum) and I would only add one thing. Once you are on the trail, ask questions when you get to the shelters at the end of the day. At that time of the year there will be alot of people who have hiked the AT before and can help you in ways that you can't even think of yet.

Deadeye
02-07-2012, 10:09
For noobs, an 8 day hike is a big chunk. Since you asked, I'd go for a couple of weekenders first. Otherwise, have a ball.

pyroman53
02-07-2012, 10:28
For me, 13 mile days is more than I like to do to start a section hike. I suggest you hope for 13, allow less if stopping early feels right, know your resupply if you run short of food and know your bailout options if you don't quite make it to Franklin. Depending on how you plan your logistics, you can get a shuttle pickup at several different locations as you approach Franklin. Why push it if you don't have to?

shelb
02-07-2012, 14:22
For years, I was sold on Gold Bond and Moleskin.

Last summer, I discovered Body Glide and Duct Tape! Body glide works for ANY chafing; plus, it doesn't leave a powdery mess. While Moleskin will bunch up as you walk and peel off the skin with sweat, duct tape stays adhered, yet peels off easily when you want it to. I had a huge blister that I covered with duct tape for 4 days and it didn't pop. Every night, I peeled off the duct tape to clean it and air it out.

elytis
02-08-2012, 11:29
13 mpd is alot. If you have the time go and actually walk 13 miles around your neighborhood. I attempted to the CT section of the AT but failed because my shoes were cheap, and the 15 miles per day I needed to do was wayyyyyyy farther than I thought. I made it the first day but had to bail on the second due to a hurt knee. My advice is that since you have some time to prep then do just that. Take a few overnighters to figure out what you are packing that you don't really need. Also take that time to break in your boots and figure out if boxers, breifs, commando, or anyother way you want to hike is the right way for you.

Basically take the time to prep and you will have a bucket list item that you will look back at and smile about and not an experiece you cringe about.

Nutbrown
02-08-2012, 15:57
13 mpd isn't a lot, it is a whole HELL of a lot. Especially for the fist time. If you are determined to do it, take a lot of nice breaks. Hike a few hrs in the am, stop for snacks, hike a few more hrs, lunch... 13 is nothing for most others on WB because there are a lot of hard core (awesome) hikers on here. Just know it is a lot, and you will be slugging the entire day and prob be going more like 1-1.5mph. Make sure you take the time to look around too.

MuddyWaters
02-08-2012, 21:34
For noobs, an 8 day hike is a big chunk. Since you asked, I'd go for a couple of weekenders first. Otherwise, have a ball.

Some noobs go straight for a 6 mo hike! But do try to get some practice and shakedowns run in first, at least overnight with a few miles walking. You will learn your gear and what might or might not work for you. Plan on a slow start, maybe 8 mpd for first few days, then increasing. After a few days you will feel like kicking it up a few notches. After all, there aint much else to do out there besides walk.

Del Q
02-08-2012, 21:54
Leave a bunch of your crapola at home, be really diligent here..............don't set mileage targets, just hike. Set a pack weight limit and stick to it, lighter is better, don't bring too much food. You won't starve.

Mama T
02-08-2012, 22:16
agree with playing with the gear and breaking in the shoes/boots. I set my new tent up in the snow a couple weeks ago just to see if it was reasonable/ doable. Also agree with a few weekend or at least overnighters before you go to work out the bugs... you may lighten your load through seeing what you actually need/ use and how it feels. I'm doing smaller hikes right now to get ready to section hike the AT, and I believe it's valuable time spent. Carrying a pack on the trail is MUCH different than a stroll through the local park, and it uses different muscles than the treadmill, for sure! ENJOY!!!

flemdawg1
02-09-2012, 17:07
A friend and I plan to do our very first section hike the third week of April. We will spend one night at the Hike Inn and hope to make it to Franklin, NC in 8 days. It's a bucket list thing!! Are we crazy for trying to get that far? It would be a +/-13 mpd average. At a 2 mph speed it seems doable. We are both in good shape and have been doing a lot of research and reading about what to expect out there, but there is nothing like the real thing I'm sure. Of course as newbies, all of our equipment is new so we are definitely not going to appear to be trail vets - just hope we remember to take the price tags off of our stuff!! Any advice for first timers?? Any thoughts on the weather that time of year?

Define good shape? It took me 10 days to cover Springer to Franklin, and I run half-marathons nearly every year. as others have sugested, get some weekend hikes under your belt first (something where you have to climb some big hills if you can). I averaged around 11 miles a day, but I stopped at the views and checked out the blue-blazes for waterfalls, firetowers, wherever they were noted. Whatever you do, don't let the trail miles keep you from enjoying it.

Skid.
02-09-2012, 17:39
I did a 3-day local "shakedown hike" before attempting my first section. When when I got home, I spread everything out on the floor. Anything I didn't use at least twice, I tossed, except for first aid stuff, of course. Everything else, I looked for a light-weight alternative, starting with my pack, and even my Nalgene water bottles (total of 16 ounces EMPTY, I replaced them with Platypus bottles, saved 14 oz right there!), you get the idea.

MuddyWaters
02-09-2012, 22:17
"It aint about the miles, its about the smiles".

Read that somewhere, just cant remember....lol

waasj
02-09-2012, 22:31
Hikers are like surfers, we were all kooks at some point. That is a great portion of the trail and 8 days should be plenty. Build from about 6-8 miles up to about 15. Keep the weight off!!!. Break in your gear on the treadmill, stairmaster, or around town. Pack your pack with about 30 pounds of something (water, sand bags, gear) and just walk with it. People will look at you sort of funny, but what the heck! Try to avoid all the fancy gadgets that the outfitters have. Keep it simple and easy. Worst feeling is shelling out $$$ for that really cool gadget, dragging it up and down mountains and never really using it!! I love that feeling of getting by rather comfortably with about 30 pounds of stuff. It is really liberating and puts life into perspective.

I am 51 and a flatlander too. Every summer I get out there and push it. You meet somereally good folks, see some really cool views and just have an amazing tale to tell at the end. Wyah Bald is really cool, so is the Standing Indian loop. I've hit that section probably three times in the past 5-20 years and it is a good hike. Have a great journey!!