PDA

View Full Version : First Timer Section Hike Gear List

Zim
02-07-2012, 01:01
I've been posting a lot of questions recently, so thank you to everyone who has helped a noob out. I live in LA, don't know any other backpackers, and this forum has been invaluable to me.

With that caveat, please feel free to rip apart, or at least gently critique, my gear list. I am planning a section hike from Erwin to Harper's Ferry beginning in early April. This is the base level, not including food or hydration. My goal is to be carrying under 30 lbs, under 25 would be a serious victory. I know there are a few odds and ends I still need to acquire, but the basics are all there. As always, thanks!

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6046

msupple
02-07-2012, 02:02
Real quick
1. Ahnu Elkridge mids are pretty heavy. My low cuts weigh about 360z so I question you mids at 37oz. I ditched mine in favor of Inov-8 Terrocs and Montrail Masochists.
2.Ditch extra pants....you already have rain pants.
3. Rain Pants and jacket are very heavy. You can get a set for about 10 oz.
4 Ditch Jet Boil and accessories in favor of an alky stove which will barely register on your scale. Shouldn't have to carry more than 8oz of fuel in between most resupply points. Probably less.
5 No need for an 8oz multi-tool That's a half pound right there! A 1 to 2oz itty bitty knife is all you really need.
6. Ditch kindle....that's a very serious luxury item.

You can seriously cut some weight here. I didn't look too hard at the other items. These were the real obvious ones. Have a great hike. BTW I carried way to much stuff on my first section hike. Extra batteries alone killed me. As an example, I'm not bringing any extra batteries this time...are you?

TOMP
02-07-2012, 02:11
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6046

17 oz shell puffy- too heavy, just get a down jacket/vest that you can wear under your shell-rain and you can save 8-9oz.
Bowl- dont bring it just eat in the bag that you rehydrate your food in.
Boost case- i dont know what this is but do you really need 2 of them?
Iphone and kindle- cant you read on an iphone if you download the kindle book for a computer?
Multitool- too much weight, a titanium spork is .6 oz, plastic is .1 oz, knifes can be 1 oz. Dont justify a 8 oz multitool. I have a 3 oz multi tool that is hard enough to justify.

Add water proof stuff sacks, bear rope/ clothes line, lighter, whistle, nail clippers

leaftye
02-07-2012, 02:14
Get rid of:
1. One of your shirts
2. Bowl...eat out of your Jetboil and/or a ziplock freezer bag
3. Pot support
4. Kindle...you'll probably be way too tired to read more than a couple of pages during the entire trip
5. Tent footprint
6. Multitool...it'd be way too difficult to eat with.

What's with carrying that heavy journal and an iphone with an external battery? I would think that extra battery if so you could journal on your phone. If it was me, I'd keep that phone off during the trip, ditch the external battery and find a lighter journal.

MaybeTomorrow
02-07-2012, 03:37
First let me say that I'm just planning too and have never hiked the AT for more than a few sections. That said, maybe we can learn together.

smartwool micro tee: ok if you feel you need the insulation. A nylon t is lighter
Ahnu Elkridge Mid: how about an inov-8 ultralight shoe?
Rain pants and jacket: how about Driducks for $20 and 10oz total?
Socks: They all seem very heavy. 6 oz liners? Wigwam nylon liners are 1oz. Maybe your feet walk cold. Mine walk hot so I have fleece socks for camp and sleeping and just one pair of 3oz light smart wool low cuts for walking.
Bowl: don't need
Jetboil: too heavy, make a Catcan stove
tripod: don't need
Boost case: how about putting the iphone in airplane mode? that turns a day of charge into a week of charge for me.
Kindle: don't need, use the iphone
journal: use the iphone
Osperey Atmos: there are lots lighter packs than this but it might be a question of money. I cut 24oz off my Gregory as my compromise.
Multitool: don't need. Just a utility razor blade does a lot of work.

Leanthree
02-07-2012, 04:31
Good advice already, I agree with what everyone said so I will stick to new stuff only:

if you decide to keep your electronics, download the thru hiker companion to your iPhone, weighs nothing.

If you can hike in both light and medium socks (I can't) then fine, but otherwise I would have at least 2 pair of socks to hike in one while the others dry (add 2 safety pins to the outside of your pack), I prefer 3 when it is colder so I have a camp pair.

Toothbrush/Toothpaste

2x 32oz gatorade bottles

Add a trash compactor bag for a pack liner.

Tom Murphy
02-07-2012, 14:05
Lots of these suggestions are great but you need some experience to make someo of them work.

For example, alky stoves are a great ways to reduce pack weight but you should have at least a few overnight trips using that stove before a multi night trip

And you need to ignore the suggestions that don't fit style.

For example, if you plan to hike everyday til you drop, racking up as many miles possible a KINDLE would be a waste. If you look forward to enjoying camp as much as the trail and/or you see yourself camping away from shelters a lot KINDLE is an acceptable luxury that allows you to have a relaxing few hours reading each night before bedtime.

Zim
02-07-2012, 15:23
Thank you everyone for the notes. Point taken on the multi-tool, extra case, kindle. I'm not sure I want to ditch the jetboil just yet, I don't really have enough experience to trust myself with something more advanced!

Is the rain gear really so heavy? Both items were listed as lightweight. Will the cheaper options keep me dry in the torrential April weather?

I wear two socks at a time with the injini 5-fingers on the bottom. It's just right for preventing boot bang and blisters. However, seeing how the Ahnu's seem to weighty, maybe I will try something else. Are they on the heavy side of what most trek in?

I've found the pack very comfortable so far, so I think I'll stick with it, though I may give something else a try if I can get my weight below 25 lbs because then it would be overkill.