PDA

View Full Version : San Juans south to Grant, NM, in October?

heavyfoot
02-07-2012, 05:27
I'm planning on a CT SOBO thru in the fall and I'm trying to decide what to do when I reach Durango. I'm considering taking the narrow gauge train back up to Elk Park, picking up the CDT there and hiking south to Grants. Is this doable in October? What is the water availability typically like?

BrianLe
02-07-2012, 09:57
Maybe. My limited experience (first time in that area this past year) was of a ton of snow falling in early October in the south San Juans; this all started Oct 4th. I just squeaked through there into NM without too-o much trauma, but others had a tougher time.

I personally wouldn't be inclined to schedule something in the San Juans after September, but don't know what is "normal".

I don't recall any problems in getting water. The Ley maps give a pretty good read on water sources.

Mags
02-07-2012, 10:14
October 1st is a rough cut off for the San Juans. Good chance you'll run into snow. Every year is different, naturally. In 2006, the first heavy snow falls that came and stuck around were mid-September. In 2007, the divide was dry until November!

Overall, though, you are pushing the envelope quite a bit in October in the San Juans.

heavyfoot
02-07-2012, 15:29
Good to know. I can move the hike up a few weeks so I'll be clear of the San Juans by the end of September, that sounds like a better plan.

Spirit Walker
02-07-2012, 20:41
There is also the possibility that the train stops running sometime in early September. Check it out.

heavyfoot
02-08-2012, 12:39
Their fall 2012 schedule shows they run through October 27th.

http://www.durangotrain.com/ride-us

So I should have no problems finding water in NM south to Grants in September/October?