PDA

View Full Version : How do you package meds?

Janeway
02-07-2012, 10:22
I've started putting my daily meds in mini zip lock bags, two for each day (one AM and PM). I'm going to take one multi vitamin (AM), triple strength glucosomine/chondroitin (AM & PM), zyrtec (AM), sleep aid (PM), vit I (AM & PM), antidepresant (AM), vit B100 (PM), fiber pill (AM & PM). This is very tedious and wonder if I'm over thinking and should just keep this stuff in my bounce box and divvy out enough for my next steps. I decided to do the individual zip locks so it would be easier to just open and gulp rather than open different bottles or bags. I'd really like to hear how others manage their meds. Yikes, 20 days until I step onto the trail!

Hooch
02-07-2012, 10:38
I started using the EZY Dose pill pouches for meds. Put the necessary pills in a pouch for each time you are due medication, label and put in your pack where ever you like.

grayfox
02-07-2012, 10:47
+1 on EZY Dose. Very durable. Refill from mail drops. If you carry prescription meds you may want to retain the original bottle with all the information on it, espcially if you are traveling to foreign places--we live in a paranoid world these days and it ay be easier to explain a bunch of pills in original containers if the need arises.

RWheeler
02-07-2012, 10:55
+1 on EZY Dose. Very durable. Refill from mail drops. If you carry prescription meds you may want to retain the original bottle with all the information on it, espcially if you are traveling to foreign places--we live in a paranoid world these days and it ay be easier to explain a bunch of pills in original containers if the need arises.

I was going to say something along these lines. Be careful separating controlled substances (if any of your meds qualify for that) from the bottles that have the prescription on them.

That being said, I'm carrying my pills in soda cap containers (http://www.briangreen.net/2011/02/plastic-soda-bottle-lid-capsule.html). I'll peel the prescription labels off the bottles they came in and stash them away in case I come across a situation where I'll need them (although having them outside of that bottle is already technically putting me in the wrong, I just don't want to carry those bottles... they suck).

Rocket Jones
02-07-2012, 12:29
For prescription meds, make a photocopy of the original bottle label and keep it with your first aid kit.

Feral Bill
02-07-2012, 12:34
You might ask your pharmacist for some form of convenient packaging. There must be some options that would work.

leaftye
02-07-2012, 12:51
I've been using mini zip lock pill bags for my daily pills.

Blissful
02-07-2012, 15:21
What are you allergic to? I felt Zyrtec made me too sleepy. I take Claritin at home for a dust allergy, but have no allgery issues on the trail. I also would think twice about a sleep aid, they also tend to make you drowsy. You are taking a lot of meds that are going to make you sleepy and possibly sluggish on the trail (Zyrtec, sleep aid and anti-depressant)
Multi vite should have enough B vitamins in it, I'd think. At your age you might add calcium tab (bones) and cranberry (for unrinary system) - am I right your female? If not, skip those pills! Vit I should be in a separate bag as "prn" or as needed in your first aid kit (you could be looking at ulcer issues if you take them that often, twice a day every day. I'd pack some Tylenol also and try to use that for pain as needed).
I use sandwich ziplocs, and since I know the color of my pills (and I took eight in the AM and four in the PM), I put doses for four-five days in one bag (one bag for AM one bag for PM) . They can get heavy, unfortunately, so I really try to minimiaze pills. I put mine in maildrops. Be sure to pack a few days extra just in case. Ad make sure you have someone on the homefornt who can mail you pills express mail, just in case (happened to me a few times)
I never has an issue at all with my pills (several are presciption), always carried them in ziplocs, did not take the original bottles, and have walked over 4,500 miles... Just saying. I know what others said, but again, I never had an issue. I didn't make open displays of taking my pills either though, or had them out in view for others to see. I was discreet about it.

lemon b
02-07-2012, 16:29
Regular script med bottle. I find after a week the BP meds are no longer necessary. So all I carry is Vit. I, and a couple antihisitime.

rhjanes
02-07-2012, 16:38
That being said, I'm carrying my pills in soda cap containers (http://www.briangreen.net/2011/02/plastic-soda-bottle-lid-capsule.html).freaking idea! Except I'm wondering about using super-glue. I would think a plastic modelers cement would be much better. Super-glue snaps in shear (my results).

RWheeler
02-07-2012, 17:54
I've been using one to carry pills in a front pocket of my pants for a couple months straight now, haven't had any issues with shearing. Only thing that happens is sometimes I'll loosen both sides by accident, so I need to adjust while opening to avoid completely spilling everything all over the place.

handlebar
02-07-2012, 20:19
I only take pills in the evening with my dinner. I take baby aspirin, a statin, an antihistamine, multivitamin, Vit D, Calcium, and one Ibuprofen. I wrap each days doses in a square of
Glad Wrap then tie a knot in it and cut off the excess. Multiple days go in a ziplock in my toiletries ditty sack.

Papa D
02-07-2012, 20:40
If the OP wants to PM me, my wife is a pharmacist - she can do some real cool custom "blister packs" custom for you - she'll know what you can/can't combine. She does custom compounding, animal meds, the works. I'll give you her phone number - my assumption is that she could fill your script, do the custom packaging and fed-ex it to you. I'll have to ask her if there are any laws about that - not sure. Either way, she'd be happy to advise another outdoor person. I don't really take too many meds. so just a little zip lock works fine for vitamin I, etc.